Anti Virus on Virtual Machine

anti virus virtual machine

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Dan~

Dan~

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:56

My server has anti virus, and I have a virtual machine on that too, is it recommened to install anti virus on the virtual machine aswell?

To me it seems pointless, using more resources for nothing considering the host has the anti virus.

Whats your thoughts?

#2 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 October 2012 - 17:58

no, it's not necessary, the VM is completely isolated from the host as long as you don't have shared folders turned on (even then it's highly unlikely that any virus would know to make use of that)

#3 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 24 October 2012 - 18:21

That very much depends on what you are using the VM for. The VM can definitely still get a virus. And the VM isn't completely isolated from the host if it's on the same network. You could easily spread the virus back to the host over that network, just like any other two computers on the same network. If it's just a temporary VM that you are going to tear down, or can afford to wipe out and replace if it does get a virus, then maybe you don't care. If it's a VM that's going to stay running and is daily use, you'll probably want to put AV on it. AV on your host has nothing to do with your VM, so treat it as if it is it's own machine.

#4 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 October 2012 - 18:42

^ i was talking completely isolated as in file system wise, the fact that it's still using the same network should (i at least hope) be a given
though i definitely agree with you that it also depends on how the VM is being used

#5 c.grz

c.grz

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 24 October 2012 - 18:45

If it's on the network; I suggest you treat it like you would any physical server/workstation on that network.

#6 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:12

^ i was talking completely isolated as in file system wise, the fact that it's still using the same network should (i at least hope) be a given
though i definitely agree with you that it also depends on how the VM is being used

Oh, right, it won't spread from the VM's HDD to the host's HDD. But it can still propagate over the network.

#7 Kami-

Kami-

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:16

Oh, right, it won't spread from the VM's HDD to the host's HDD. But it can still propagate over the network.

Well actually, if you're using VirtualBox there's an exploit for that... ;)

#8 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 19:18

:laugh: Really? I'm really not that surprised. If the files are on the same hard drive, I suppose there's always the possibility. You could say that's what you get for using a free VM. Any issues like that on more trusted VMs?

#9 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 23

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:34

:laugh: Really? I'm really not that surprised. If the files are on the same hard drive, I suppose there's always the possibility. You could say that's what you get for using a free VM. Any issues like that on more trusted VMs?

Most hypervisors are free. vmware, microsoft hyperv, for example are free.

#10 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:40

From what I remember of the intel advisory that remixedcat posted, it effects hyperV, virtualbox and nearly every other VM system except vmware.

#11 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 24 October 2012 - 20:43

If it's on the network; I suggest you treat it like you would any physical server/workstation on that network.

QFT

#12 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 22:06

Most hypervisors are free. vmware, microsoft hyperv, for example are free.

From what I remember of the intel advisory that remixedcat posted, it effects hyperV, virtualbox and nearly every other VM system except vmware.

I actually meant to say open source, not free, but either way, that exploit is obviously much more complex than I originally thought. Judging from what I read, it looks like everyone has it patched by now though.

#13 TrekRich

TrekRich

Neowinian

Posted 24 October 2012 - 22:16

Treat it like any other machine on the network. The fact that its running virtual means nothing. Its still got a tcp/ip stack and will still have security hole's so best keep it patched as well :rofl:

#14 cybertimber2008

cybertimber2008

Neowinian Senior

Posted 24 October 2012 - 22:22

It really depends what your host's AV can do. I know at a vmware class I was at last week, they have antivirus plugins (vSphere 5.1) at the hypervisor level which scan and monitor the VMs instead of clients on each VM. Why? To prevent scan storms... you know, when all your VMs suddenly decide to run antivirus scans at the same time and murder your storage and performance... yea.

#15 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 24 October 2012 - 22:27

Simple solution, Sandbox.