• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:40

Hi all,

So I finally got the fall update and have a question regarding play to or DLNA feature.

Basically this works fine from my Nokia Lumia using the play to Nokia app, but last night I tried to use WMP12 (windows 8 final) to send a video to the Xbox and the play to control is greyed out still.

I thought that the Xbox is now a DLNA receiver (this is how the Nokia play to app can 'see' it), but WMP still cant see it.

All I want to be able to do is browse my movies on my laptop and send a chosen movie to the Xbox to watch, I have the smartglass app installed but this doesn't give me access to movies stored on a network machine (which is where I'm playing the movie from).

#2 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:54

Did you go into your xbox settings and enable the play to feature?

#3 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:25

I would suggest using the Xbox Video app, WMP hasn't been really touched in Windows 8 (it feels like that)

#4 OP duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:42

Did you go into your xbox settings and enable the play to feature?

Yeah its enabled (it was by default), and like I said the Nokia play to app finds it just fine.

I know WMP hasn't really been touched but assumed (wrongly it looks like) that it just supported DLNA devices, and since the Xbox is now a DLNA receiver it would work, alas it doesn't seem to. I'll keep on using the video app then :(

oh and its not greyed out now, it gives the option of playing to another pc in the house, just no xbox

#5 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:55

Have you enabled media steaming in your Windows install?

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:57

Yeah its enabled (it was by default), and like I said the Nokia play to app finds it just fine.

I know WMP hasn't really been touched but assumed (wrongly it looks like) that it just supported DLNA devices, and since the Xbox is now a DLNA receiver it would work, alas it doesn't seem to. I'll keep on using the video app then :(

oh and its not greyed out now, it gives the option of playing to another pc in the house, just no xbox

It supports dlna, but not dlna push, aka play to.

#7 OP duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:08

It supports dlna, but not dlna push, aka play to.

But the Nokia playto app pushes to the Xbox just fine, although when opened and Xbox selected (in the app) the Xbox displays a nokia logo so maybe there's some other proprietary code added to the Xbox that's not standard DLNA stuff?

The Nokia app definitely pushes the content to the Xbox though.

I'd be happy with a smartglass update that allows more granular browsing of local and network content to 'play to' Xbox.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:43

But the Nokia playto app pushes to the Xbox just fine, although when opened and Xbox selected (in the app) the Xbox displays a nokia logo so maybe there's some other proprietary code added to the Xbox that's not standard DLNA stuff?

The Nokia app definitely pushes the content to the Xbox though.

I'd be happy with a smartglass update that allows more granular browsing of local and network content to 'play to' Xbox.

WMP doesn't support push/play to, Xbox and WP and many other devices and apps do.

Personally, push never made much sense to me over pull anyway, not from an Xbox where you primarily get video from your library anyway

#9 Guest_xiphi_*

Guest_xiphi_*

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:57

WMP doesn't support push/play to, Xbox and WP and many other devices and apps do.

Personally, push never made much sense to me over pull anyway, not from an Xbox where you primarily get video from your library anyway

WMP 12 does indeed support Play To. What do you think Windows/File Explorer uses for Play To? I just loaded up WMP 12 and turned on my 360 without picking up the controller, and I was able to Play To the 360 without issue.

As for the OP, I wonder if the network settings on Windows isn't allowing him to see his 360.

#10 OP duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:22

I know this works when the Xbox is in media centre extender mode, and has done for a while. I'm wanting it to work from dashboard

#11 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 30 October 2012 - 20:04

Works fine here?
  • Turn on Xbox 360
  • Wait for log in
  • Right click on Music
  • Play To -> Devestator
  • Works

Attached Images

• PlayTo-Xbox360.PNG

#12 Acac1aStrain

Acac1aStrain

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 20:07

Sure would be nice to use playto with my xbox music pass on something other than an XBOX!

#13 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 30 October 2012 - 20:12

You sure you're playing in a format the Xbox supports? (WMC uses your PC's codecs, so that doesn't count)

#14 OP duddit2

duddit2

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 October 2012 - 22:38

Even attempting to send MP3 files doesn't work, it just doesn't show up

#15 Burnz316

Burnz316

Neowinian

Posted 30 October 2012 - 22:49

i can stream videos from my windows 8 pc to the xbox, have been doing this for ahwile now..

you might need to open windows media player up in the desktop, then in one of the menus should be an option to turn on media sharing, need to turn this on and select which folders you want to share, also should give you a list of external devices and your xbox should come up in this list..

once sharing is on, open the xbox system video app and your pc should be listed with the folders/files that you chose to share..

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!