Anyone got your Surface yet?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#16 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 26 October 2012 - 19:25

Got mine this morning. Early too. I was so happy to see it but I was on my way to work. Grabbed it and took it to work and i love it so far. Typing on the keyboard is awesome. Im a lover of soft keys / touch when im typing. Only time I demand a push is gaming.

So this works out really well for me. I would say im 40-55 wpm. To me it doesnt matter right now but I will most likely use this or my retina to type a lot for work(IT Field) and i think then ill get faster. Or naturally using it i will too.

I will say i love the onscreen keyboard also. They did a great job.

Now, question for you, have you figured out a way to manually update office? I remeber there being a way but I cant find "Windows Update" when I search update, I also want to know how to close metro apps without bringing up all the open apps and then right click closing them, i would like to do it all by touch.

You can find Windows Update if you select the settings charm and then tap on Change PC Settings (assuming it's still called that on a tablet). It's the last option on the list on the left hand side of the screen.

#17 micro

micro

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 19:32

Yes, I'm loving it. I did make some videos about the "performance issues" that were in reviews but I won't post since that isn't what this is about. I LOVE IT! Touch keyboard is so awesome. Definitely an awesome product and it can only get better :D.

I would like to see the video on the issues.

#18 OP siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 19:46

Now, question for you, have you figured out a way to manually update office? I remeber there being a way but I cant find "Windows Update" when I search update, I also want to know how to close metro apps without bringing up all the open apps and then right click closing them, i would like to do it all by touch.

To close, swipe from top to bottom. And I just typed Windows Update and it popped up with the ability to install optional updates. Make sure you're searching settings.

By the way, this USB port is awesome. Just plugged in my RF receiver for my Logitech keyboard and mouse and within seconds they both worked...

#19 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 26 October 2012 - 20:01

Thank you both of you. I did search for it at my Metro Home screen and just pulled out the charms bar, search and the whole system not the current app i was in. But going to change pc settings worked.

Also the closing top to bottom, i was doing that but I cant pulling the top bar down, I have to get my touch down with this thing haha. Thanks for youre help guys.

I do hate the fact that the back gets dirty with fingerprints too easy but that is life, im not putting a case on this thing. Itll be as clean and as black as my iPhone 5

#20 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 October 2012 - 20:14

I bought one at the Microsoft Store today. I am very impressed. I originally was a skeptic of the touch cover but I will admit I was wrong. It is very easy to adapt to and far superior to an on-screen keyboard.

Also - some reviews mentioned the form factor being awkward...I don't get that impression at all. It feels VERY natural in your hands, and Windows 8 as expected is very smooth. It is a very good product.

#21 metsfan421

metsfan421

Neowinian

Posted 26 October 2012 - 20:44

I just picked up mine from the Microsoft Store about an hour ago and I love it! Its much better than I expected, such a joy to use! I bought the Touch Cover with mine (Cyan), and the Incipio case to go along with it. Even typing using the on screen keyboard is fantastic. Hope everyone gets theirs for the weekend.

#22 Charisma

Charisma

e-1337-ist

Posted 26 October 2012 - 20:46

Ah, I'm jealous! I think this may be my next tablet :D

#23 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 October 2012 - 20:55

Just received my Surface. Some of my family members dropped their ipads and wanted to know what this cool thing is. I got the impression they now feel they have something vastly inferior. One family member immediately put his ipad away,and it got a great chuckle from everyone. Another family member wanted to compare apps like skype,and the reaction on their faces was hilarious.

#24 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 October 2012 - 23:29

So suddenly the ipad looks like the toy it always was. Whereas the surface is a tool for BOSSES?

Both of them are consumer toys. Surface Pro may change that, but RT will not.

#25 guru

guru

||guru||

Posted 26 October 2012 - 23:33

how is office on surface?

#26 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 23:40

I love mine, is it perfect? No, but it's better than every android tablet out there. I am convinced this thing is an update or two away from Microsoft having a serious, and i mean serious, iPad competitor on the market.

#27 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 October 2012 - 23:48

Just received my Surface. Some of my family members dropped their ipads and wanted to know what this cool thing is. I got the impression they now feel they have something vastly inferior. One family member immediately put his ipad away,and it got a great chuckle from everyone. Another family member wanted to compare apps like skype,and the reaction on their faces was hilarious.

I'm sure that actually happened ;) A lot of new technology owners have these little anecdotes to share, yet I never see it happen in real life.

Funny that.

#28 pupdawg21

pupdawg21

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 00:07

Received mine. Very sturdy and feels good in the hand. The screen looks great, the touch keyboard/cover is nice, thin, and responsive and it snaps in place easily every time and really does hold on tight. Browsing with Netflix/msging or any other single app snapped to the side is a great improvement over any other tablet I've used. I think I need to start looking into getting rid of my new iPAD since I haven't been using it much and this can pretty much replace it for the apps that I regularly use. Impressed that Remote desktop works very well on the touch screen+keyboard combo and can launch other apps remotely or use them through that mechanism despite lack of x86 support, Multi-tasking is way better than that available on Galaxy Tab 2 or iPad 3rd gen. I think they have a very good product on their hand here.

#29 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 00:20

Received mine. Very sturdy and feels good in the hand. The screen looks great, the touch keyboard/cover is nice, thin, and responsive and it snaps in place easily every time and really does hold on tight. Browsing with Netflix/msging or any other single app snapped to the side is a great improvement over any other tablet I've used. I think I need to start looking into getting rid of my new iPAD since I haven't been using it much and this can pretty much replace it for the apps that I regularly use. Impressed that Remote desktop works very well on the touch screen+keyboard combo and can launch other apps remotely or use them through that mechanism despite lack of x86 support, Multi-tasking is way better than that available on Galaxy Tab 2 or iPad 3rd gen. I think they have a very good product on their hand here.

The surface rt support remote desktop?

#30 pupdawg21

pupdawg21

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 00:36

yes, you can remote desktop to other systems from the surface RT. I tested remoting into a windows 7 box, windows 2012 and a windows 2008 r2 server and they all worked perfectly fine using the desktop rdp client. With the metro remote desktop app it looks like you can even bring over remote apps running on terminal servers but I need to test that to see if it works or not.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!