Photo

Anyone got your Surface yet?

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

#31 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 27 October 2012 - 00:40

I'm a sucker for pretty pictures, anyone care to share? Can't say I even know what the box / packaging looks like :p Seems like I won't be getting a Surface anytime soon, but I might have a different Windows 8 Tablet to play with pretty soon anyway.

#32 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 00:40

yes, you can remote desktop to other systems from the surface RT. I tested remoting into a windows 7 box, windows 2012 and a windows 2008 r2 server and they all worked perfectly fine using the desktop rdp client. With the metro remote desktop app it looks like you can even bring over remote apps running on terminal servers but I need to test that to see if it works or not.

That's awesome. If Cisco comes out with an Anyconnect VPN app, I won't bother waiting for Surface Pro, as I thought I would need to to connect to my work computer remotely.

Either way, I'm super jealous. I'm heading to Mall of America later in November and I'm definitely spending some time at the Microsoft store there.

#33 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 27 October 2012 - 00:43

The surface rt support remote desktop?

Gives me an idea... get Surface RT, and just remote into my desktop when I need something more... :o

#34 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 27 October 2012 - 00:45

Picked one up for my fiancee' this morning. She got to open and play with at lunch. When she went back, I played with it for awhile. This thing is pretty great. I think the performance issues, referred to above, will be fixed in no time. As a matter of fact, in Joanna Stoerne's ABC News review of the Surface she said MS had responded to her saying a fix was coming soon.

Essentially, the issue is a few dropped frames of animation especially when sliding apps in from the left side if there are many things running. But, overall the processor can handle quite a bit.

Again, great device and I can't wait till the Pro hits as I want that bad boy for myself.

#35 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:25

anyone install cut the rope and try it out? i see serveral reviews out there having performance issues with this game.

#36 pupdawg21

pupdawg21

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:33

just tried cut the rope, seems ok. I did notice like after you win a game, the frame rate appears to dip slightly when you press the next button to go to the next level but in game the frame rate seems fine/normal. One thing I did notice is that the HDMI output appears to send a 1920x1080 signal @ 30fps and the output isn't as sharp as it looks on the tablets screen but its not bad.

#37 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:19

Ill be waiting until atleast HBO GO and Watch ESPN apps come out. if they do.

#38 nohone

nohone

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:28

For those of you who got your surface at the Microsoft store, there was a little booklet in the bag. There is a code in that book for an extra 3GB of skydrive storage.

#39 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:27

For those of you who got your surface at the Microsoft store, there was a little booklet in the bag. There is a code in that book for an extra 3GB of skydrive storage.

but not the pre-orders?

#40 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:30

Nice! You going to get office for it?

Office RT Home and Student is included with *every* Surface RT - hence he doesn't have to.

#41 msfan

msfan

Neowinian

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:56

Nope................ but i did receive email from MS for apologizing and C$50 coupon for not delivering it today. First pre-order of my life and didn't like it. :angry:

#42 Sikh

Sikh

Neowin Addict!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nexus 5 PA 4.4.2 / iPhone 5

Posted 27 October 2012 - 06:41

Nope................ but i did receive email from MS for apologizing and C$50 coupon for not delivering it today. First pre-order of my life and didn't like it. :angry:

i dont think it was there fault for the UK and Canada because my order to the Midwest US was dispatched the 22nd and in fedex's hands and traveling the 23rd.

#43 nohone

nohone

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:15

but not the pre-orders?

I don't know. The code was in my bag when I got home. I tried reusing the code with a different skydrive account, but it said the code was already claimed, so they are unique for each booklet.

#44 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:31

I don't know. The code was in my bag when I got home. I tried reusing the code with a different skydrive account, but it said the code was already claimed, so they are unique for each booklet.

did you buy it from a proper MS store or a holidy store?

#45 nohone

nohone

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:47

did you buy it from a proper MS store or a holidy store?

A real store, Bellevue Square about 2 miles from Microsoft campus.