Upgrading Motherboard and CPU

So I've decided to upgrade my motherboard and CPU. I plan to overclock, so I'd like a decent CPU + Motherboard combo. For the CPU, I'm thinking of getting Core i7-3770K. For the motherboard I'm thinking of the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO. Is there a site where I can gather overclocking info. Like overclocking results from a certain CPU and Motherboard combo? Also I hear people say I should upgrade to an SSD Drive for my system drive. I'm thinking of OCZ Vertex 3. I'm also planning to upgrade my case, cause there is no airflow in my current case. It was bought in 2006, I'm thinking of the Cooler Master Storm Sniper What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Be sure you have DDR3 RAM, too. As I don't know if you have that.

If you get an SSD, please get the Samsung 830. It is highly recommended in here. The 128gb version is just around $100. You don't need a 240GB SSD. Put programs/games and storage data on a regular HDD.

How is your PSU, too? If you ever plan to upgrade your GFX card, perhaps, you will need more wattage.

I can highly recommend the CoolerMaster HAF models. But cases are personal preference.

Be sure you have DDR3 RAM, too. As I don't know if you have that.

If you get an SSD, please get the Samsung 830. It is highly recommended in here. The 128gb version is just around $100. You don't need a 240GB SSD. Put programs/games and storage data on a regular HDD.

How is your PSU, too? If you ever plan to upgrade your GFX card, perhaps, you will need more wattage.

I can highly recommend the CoolerMaster HAF models. But cases are personal preference.

What's up with SSD Drives if you want me to put programs on a regular drive, is it just for boot or something?

Yeah I need to upgrade my ram also. I only got ddr2 right now. My Video Card and PSU are pretty good right now. Heres my whole setup right now:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula

Ram: 2x2GB G. Skill F2-8500CL5-2GBPK 5-5-5-15

Ram: 2x2GB OCZ OCZ2P10662G 5-5-5-18

Total Ram: 8GB

VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

PSU: SeaSonic X650 Gold 650WT

In the early SSD days, when you had only 30 or 60GB, it was hard when Windows took up at least 20GB of that. Plus games are another 20GB. It was wise to do so, as you also put less writes on the SSD. As SSD only have a limited amount of write/reads before they are unreliable. It's something in the million reads, but whatever. If any of this is incorrect, please correct me.

You have a Maximus Formula?! I used to have one of those. Man were they a beast in their time.

I can totally recommend the G.Skill Ripjaws X series. They rock. I have an 1333 8GB (2 x 4GB) set. (Red colored) It's just priced very good.

So I've decided to upgrade my motherboard and CPU. I plan to overclock, so I'd like a decent CPU + Motherboard combo. For the CPU, I'm thinking of getting Core i7-3770K. For the motherboard I'm thinking of the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO. Is there a site where I can gather overclocking info. Like overclocking results from a certain CPU and Motherboard combo? Also I hear people say I should upgrade to an SSD Drive for my system drive. I'm thinking of OCZ Vertex 3. I'm also planning to upgrade my case, cause there is no airflow in my current case. It was bought in 2006, I'm thinking of the Cooler Master Storm Sniper What do you guys think? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I just upgraded my system a few weeks ago, I went with a i7 3770k, the ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813131818 and I'm using the vertex 4. (I have a vertex 2 and 3 in other systems too, great drives)

my next project is upgrading my case, I really like the cooler master haf 942, and lifehacker named it one of the best cases a few weeks ago http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119225

The samsung 840 is just around the corner too ('normal' version is out now, the pro version next week...getting crazy good reviews on tech blogs). I want to pick up one of those too

Here is my $0.02 on getting a new computer. I'm assuming this is a GAMING computer, not a CAD/Video Editing computer.

While I don't think being frugal with a computer is always a good idea, I do like being efficient with money. Here is what I would go for.

CPU: Pick up an i5, not an i7 and save $100 (I would get the 3450). Gaming doesn't use much of the CPU, and they both support DDR3 1600MHz. I personally dont like overclocking - if you're gaming, you don't need the CPU speed - you need the stability. However if you really want to...get the 3570K or something.

Mobo: (Jumping this gun on GFX) I personally do not recommend Crossfire/SLI (and that mobo you linked has 2 8x slots, not 2 16x so i wouldn't suggest it for CF/SLI).

I would go for a simple motherboard - you don't need all these fancy 'fan expert' and 'x superfast' things - its all software, and i don't like them.

I want my mobo to support what I need and that's that.My friends and I are using the ASROCK B75 Pro3-M motherboard and it is great.

It has 8 SATA ports, supports DDR3 1600MHz (like the CPU), has a 16x PCI-E 3.0 slot, some standard PCI slots, and it has an INTERNAL USB3 header =D The only downside is it doesn't have wireless built-in...if you're going to use that.

HDD/SSD: Good choice on picking a brand-name SSD. Everyone will tell you to get X or Y because A and B. I like simple, I suggest to get what you can afford on the one condition - make sure it's a 'big-name' (OCZ, Samsung, Intel, etc).

They're all good, some may be 15% better on paper...but really? you're not going to notice it in the field (I have tried a few, and they all seem basically the same to me).

Case: As for a case, my friend just recently picked up the Antec 1100. It isn't the greatest looking case (that depends on the individual however) but technically its an AWESOME case. It is a little bigger, ill give you that - but its light.

It has a USB3 internal connector - BIG PLUS. It has MASSIVE clearance around the back of the mobo for easy cable management (cable management is VERY important if you have lots of cables). It has support for LOTS of drives and they're easy to access/remove (the 2x 2.5" SSD slots are a bit strange tho). I suggest you get this case, it is just all-round good (add some fans to it tho - remember more air going IN than OUT - keeps dust away)

GFX: Pick up what you can afford, I tend to not like to go all out ~$250/$300, and upgrade more often - and i don't crossfire. I like simple, and crossfire isn't simple.

RAM: Pick up some 1600MHz Ripjaws or something. If you feel rich, get 16GB right off the bat. Getting 8GB however is still MORE than plenty - I've got 8, and i never go over 50%. - but for $40 extra? 16GB wont harm.

Word of warning DONT let windows manage you pagefile size if you get lots of RAM - windows will take a BIG chunk out of your SSD to keep a pagefile.

A 2GB pagefile is normally enough - don't disable it completely tho (people will tell you otherwise but)

PSU: I use a Kingwin Stryker STR-500 and its GREAT! - SUPER efficient so its cool! Having said that tho, I probably wouldn't recommend it for a high airflow case. Now this Coolermaster one seems pretty good.

People will always say the more watts the better...but i disagree. A PSU is efficient when under higher load, so if you say put 200W of load on a 1000W PSU, it won't be that efficient...if you put 200W of load on a 500W PSU, it'll be quite efficient.

Word of warning - the Antec 1100 is a BIG case - sometimes the 24pin mobo cord can be too short - you MAY need an extender or something! (or a PSU with a longer cable...no idea how to tell)

...I think that's mostly it...

Hope it helps!

Don'y skimp on motherboard, especially if you want to overclock. This is a great one, and such a good price. Best mobo in this pricerange IMO and you wont need anything more than this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293 That motherboard you posted is great also, but IMO does not warrant the extra $100.

Cpu wise you'd be fine with an i5 2500k (don't go the newer 3470k although it is a little bit faster at stock speeds the 2500k is pretty much THE cpu for overclocking with stock cooling and can smoke it).

If you wanna go for an i7 that's fine too.

On my SSD i have my windows installation, and all my apps (and BF3 because I play it everyday and it has long load times on a normal harddrive) . It 120 gb and I have about 40 spare. I like having all my programs on it so they all open instantly.

Then I have a 1tb drive with my movies, music, footage and all other games etc. I think 120gb is enough for a SSD. If you don't game an SSD is the most noticeable upgrade you can make IMO. You'll love it.

Do you play alot of games? If so what gfx card do you have. Also do you know what PSU you have?

Coolermaster have some notoriously bad powersupplys. I'm sure it would be fine, but I wouldn't risk it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817104127 this is real nice and modular too.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's very much appreciated. So here's everything of what I'm thinking of getting.

CPU: Core i7-3770K

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

Heat Sink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1

Also, I'm wondering if I should just get Windows 8 for this new build, or should I just stick to Windows 7? What do you guys think?

Any reason why you are getting that motherboard over the asrock I linked you to? It's almost $200 cheaper and amazing for overclocking.

Personally I would get the cheaper motherboard and an i5 and spend the money saved on a 660ti. If your gaming you would see a huge performance increase, whereas with the parts you just listed you would not see much improvement in most games.

That said if you don't game then get the i7 and that all looks pretty good.

Win 8 vs 7 is probably a matter of preference. You could download the 3month free win 8 dev preview and see for yourself if you want to swap.

Thanks for the input everyone. It's very much appreciated. So here's everything of what I'm thinking of getting.

CPU: Core i7-3770K

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE

Heat Sink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1

Also, I'm wondering if I should just get Windows 8 for this new build, or should I just stick to Windows 7? What do you guys think?

Looks like a good build. I have the same board and cpu, and have had decent overclocking results. I went with the deluxe board because I wanted WiFi and bluetooth onboard. That said I think all of the ASUS P8Z77-V boards should offer similair overclocking results; just different feature sets.

Any reason why you are getting that motherboard over the asrock I linked you to? It's almost $200 cheaper and amazing for overclocking.

Personally I would get the cheaper motherboard and an i5 and spend the money saved on a 660ti. If your gaming you would see a huge performance increase, whereas with the parts you just listed you would not see much improvement in most games.

That said if you don't game then get the i7 and that all looks pretty good.

Win 8 vs 7 is probably a matter of preference. You could download the 3month free win 8 dev preview and see for yourself if you want to swap.

I think I'm going to stick with the ASUS because I've always had an ASUS motherboard. So I'm used to it and I like ASUS, and plus it has more usb ports. I need USB ports because I have a lot of external drives and other usb devices that I use. Abysal said this, but I also like the fact that it has WiFi and Bluetooth onboard. Also Christmas is coming up, I could ask for this motherboard. :D

Also, as for the windows 7 vs 8. I think I'm going to stay with 7. 8 Just looks like a phone and I think it would take a bit to get used to and it's too early to see how its going to turn out.

Don't want to start a rant around here, but I'm staying with 7 until it dies. 8 is just wrong...