Time keeps changing by itself on Windows 7

Question

I'm dual booting Lion and Windows 7 and lately every time i'm using Windows the time changes 9 hours fwd.

I'm not talking about restarts between Windows and Lion . The clock in Lion stays the same all the time but in windows i can set the time to 4:00 and after a few min the time will change it self to 13:00.

First i thought i need a CMOS change but if the time keep staying set on ubuntu i don't think that's the problem.

I've cancelled time sync with microsoft servers etc' but the problem remains.

And Ideas?

18 answers to this question

Thanks for the comment.

^ I know about that little tweak, that's not the problem I'm facing (and fixed that issue a long time ago). While i'm on Windows i see the clock changes 9 hours ahead. Not after a restart between OS.

Wakers, are you dual booting with another OS?

Add the RealTimeIsUniversal key to the registry, restart immediately, then set the clock either in the BIOS or OS X and it should stick.

Did that, I don't think that's the problem. I'm using an hackintosh for 3 years now and added that registry key around that so long time ago.

That tweak is fixing the time differences when you move from Windows to Lion etc', my problem is that the time changes while i'm in windows. I change it to 10:00, the computer changes it to 19:00. That can happen 3 times in 10 min with no restart.

Do you have some wacky daylight savings time patch installed? Or maybe your computer is trying to tell you that it's time to upgrade to Windows 8.

Every daylight \ sync \ time related thingy is disabled. I think i'm gonna wait with Windows 8 for now :)

What is your BIOS time? Is it UTC?

What is the output of your time zone settings in windows 7?

C:\Windows\system32>w32tm /tz

Time zone: Current:TIME_ZONE_ID_DAYLIGHT Bias: 360min (UTC=LocalTime+Bias)

[standard Name:"Central Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:(M:11 D:1 DoW:0)]

[Daylight Name:"Central Daylight Time" Bias:-60min Date:(M:3 D:2 DoW:0)]

Are you a member of a domain? Domain members will sync with domain timesource. Good ref for windows time stuff

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

I just run actual ntp client and turn off the built in sync service. There are ports actual ntp client for windows. But if your changing by 9 hours you have something wrong with timezone.

On 10/28/2012 at 10:19 AM, BudMan said:

What is your BIOS time? Is it UTC?

What is the output of your time zone settings in windows 7?

Time zone: Current:TIME_ZONE_ID_DAYLIGHT Bias: 360min (UTC=LocalTime+Bias)

[standard Name:"Central Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:(M:11 D:1 DoW:0)]

[Daylight Name:"Central Daylight Time" Bias:-60min Date:(M:3 D:2 DoW:0)]

Are you a member of a domain? Domain members will sync with domain timesource. Good ref for windows time stuff

http://technet.micro...v=ws.10%29.aspx

I just run actual ntp client and turn off the built in sync service. There are ports actual ntp client for windows. But if your changing by 9 hours you have something wrong with timezone.

It's UTC... I think?

C:\Users\Userid>w32tm /tz

Time zone: Current:TIME_ZONE_ID_UNKNOWN Bias: -120min (UTC=LocalTime+Bias)

[standard Name:"Jerusalem Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:(unspecified)]

[Daylight Name:"Jerusalem Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:(unspecified)]

I'm not a member of a domain (Our computers at work change the time according to the server, that's not the case.)

For my part, the time in BIOS is correct. It's just Windows that gets it wrong. I'm not part of a domain either. This behaviour only started happening pretty much immediately after installing Windows 8. The clock will reset itself when the display is turned off after it's been idle. As soon as I wake it up, the time seems to be equal to whatever time it was the computer went into sleep.

I can resolve the issue by going into the clock and forcing it to sync the time again, however this often takes a couple of attempts as the operation will time out.

"Time zone: Current:TIME_ZONE_ID_UNKNOWN"

Well clearly that is NOT right.. So yeah you could be having some issues to be sure.

Fix your current timezone - you got something wrong.

I changed mine to Jerusalem and get this.

Time zone: Current:TIME_ZONE_ID_STANDARD Bias: -120min (UTC=LocalTime+Bias)

[standard Name:"Jerusalem Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:(M:9 D:4 DoW:0)]

[Daylight Name:"Jerusalem Daylight Time" Bias:-60min Date:(M:3 D:5 DoW:5)]

And I would verify what your bios is set to.. If its UTC you should know, not think so.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]

© 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Ian>C:\Windows\system32\w32tm /tz

Time zone: Current:TIME_ZONE_ID_STANDARD Bias: -60min (UTC=LocalTime+Bias)

[standard Name:"Central Europe Standard Time" Bias:0min Date:(M:10 D:5 DoW:0)]

[Daylight Name:"Central Europe Summer Time" Bias:-60min Date:(M:3 D:5 DoW:0)]

C:\Users\Ian>

Can someone help me out here? When I turned my PC on at 0907 this morning, Windows said the time was 0038 (which is probably the time that I turned the PC off). I've noticed that if I have an application running in full screen on the monitor where the clock is, the clock will not update either.

The time is correct in the BIOS and it's a new motherboard (less than 2 months old).

Are you actually turning it OFF, or putting it into standby/hibernate?

Clock not updating is not related to the OP issue at all -- I would suggest you start your own thread vs confusing this one with your non related issue.