HTC 8X will be the MOST popular WP8

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:00

I see the 8x is getting good reviews and I also think that the exclusivity deals that Nokia have done will hurt them. Also, the 8x appears to be priced quite competitively which could help it.

Having said all that, I'll be getting an unlocked Lumia 920. It just looks better, has better apps and features and the letterboxing of WP7 apps that is visible in the 8x reviews looks silly.

Not to mention navigation - all reviews are mentioning that there is no built-in turn by turn navigation in WP8. Nokia is a clear winner just on that one feature.

#17 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:01

I wouldn't mind a 12mo with true unlimited data... not this puny wussy 2GB cap BS that I would blow thru in a week. US carriers suck

what

the hell do you actually use your phone for, torrenting...

#18 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:40

Not to mention navigation - all reviews are mentioning that there is no built-in turn by turn navigation in WP8. Nokia is a clear winner just on that one feature.

I've seen that too and find it a bit surprising as I was under the impression that Nokia Drive was coming to all Windows Phones. I've noted that many of the reviewers seem a bit confused about this though and I read somewhere that more information is expected later in the week.

#19 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:48

I don't remember them saying anything about Nokia Drive the app going to other phones, MS did say Nokia Maps data will. I think using the Maps API and data from Nokia etc you could get some turn-by-turn navigation going.

#20 ajua

ajua

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:41

I just ordered an unlocked HTC 8X in Black (added an official Blue cover case) and should arrive in a week. Upgrading my LG Optimus 7 from WP launch.

I was very tempted by the Lumia 920 but the one thing that made hesitate was how almost all the reviews and comparisons talked about its dimensions and weight. It has a better camera and wireless charging, but the praise about the design and feel of the 8X sold me out.

I agree with the OP in that being available with almost all carriers should make the 8X the most popular WP8 device from the start.

#21 drazgoosh

drazgoosh

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 04 November 2012 - 10:53

I want a Windows Phone 8 device and the 8X is much better priced for me compared to the 920. It has very similar features and while it's clearly not as amazing, it still is a great phone.

#22 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:09

I agree with the OP in that being available with almost all carriers should make the 8X the most popular WP8 device from the start.

Only in America.

#23 Gaffney

Gaffney

I have no title

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:32

It might actually be the best seller in the UK since the 920 is limited.

#24 Osiris

Osiris

Neowinian God!

• Phone: Nokia 930

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:34

Yeah carrier exclusives are frustrating but still plenty of options to buy it unlocked if need be. Will be interesting to see what happens with the States then given that its on all networks vs the lumias one at launch.

Eitherway im getting an 8X, the lumia looks like a lovely device but the 8Xs 4.3" screen and the weight that comes at is perfect for me, the cheaper price doesn't hurt either.

#25 Darrian

Darrian

The Apathetic

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:41

If Verizon doesn't carry the Lumia 920 then I will get the 8x. I just hope I can open it up and replace the SD card with a 32 GB one, like I did with my Trophy. I can't upgrade until May, though, so there is still plenty of time for Verizon to get some different brands/models in stock.

#26 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 04 November 2012 - 12:42

If you're buying a phone because it's lighter, you better not come back and complain when you realize it's built on thin metal frame and thin cheap plastic, and typical HTC quality. ;)

#27 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:21

I wouldn't mind a 12mo with true unlimited data... not this puny wussy 2GB cap BS that I would blow thru in a week. US carriers suck

Me either but I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

#28 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:24

Nokia and Microsoft shot themselves in the foot. They can't afford carrier exclusive phones, they need all the business/market share they can get.

#29 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:29

Only 16GB and no card slot.

Sorry, deal-breaker for me :(

#30 illegaloperation

illegaloperation

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:34

Well, if some T-Mobile users desperately want the Nokia Lumia 920, they'll have to buy them unsubsidized. Since, the Nokia Lumia 920 does support T-Mobile's 3G, I can see a few taking this route.

For the most part, I do agree that T-Mobile's and Verizon Wireless's customers will stick with the subsidized HTC 8X.

What that said, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the HTC 8X. The device is simply gorgeous and its beauty rival that of the Nokia Lumia 920. Clearly, HTC has put some major design work in.

In fact, I am on AT&T, but I am still considering whether I should get the Nokia Lumia 920 or the HTC 8X.