Photo

Do we have an over dependance on technology?

question technology

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 +devHead

devHead

The stars, like dust...

• 2,572 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 06 November 2012 - 14:09

I am writing an argumentative essay, and I have chosen the topic We have an over dependance on technology. I am interested in everyone's thoughts on this subject.

I think it's likely, especially when, without spell-check, 98% of English speaking people think there's a letter 'a' in dependence. Nothing against you JNelson; you've got good posts.

#17 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,273 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5 (Android 4.4.2)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 14:22

As a population, yes. Very few people have what it takes in terms of knowledge and determination to survive on their own in the wilderness (think Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild). The vast majority of people are so used to technology that they panic at the loss of a phone or Internet connection. It's not their faults either. As a species, we've evolved to make use of technology by inventing and using tools. We lack things like an extra layer of fat to keep us warm at night or sharp claws and teeth to kill prey with.

As individuals, we may have flaws that would make it very hard to survive without things like periodic medical assistance or organ transplants. For example, people that require a puffer for asthma or insulin injections for diabetes would obviously be at greater risk (in a world where technology suddenly stopped working).

Things like computers and phones are both a tool and a comfort. But things like medical technology or advanced food production techniques, now that stuff will be missed more by those that know their stuff. Anyway, I definitely think we have an over-dependence on technology.

#18 thatguyandrew1992

thatguyandrew1992

Neowinian Senior

• 2,258 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 00:56

Not at all. Not even the slightest. We could do just fine without. We just like our technology a lot. I hate when people say we are over dependent or how we don't do enough social interaction because of technology. There's nothing wrong with it. Accept it.

#19 exotoxic

exotoxic

Neowinian Senior

• 2,087 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 20:40

As a whole society yes, The whole world would collapse if we didn't have technology to keep it connected and do the hard work. On a person to person level then a lot of people would have problems but not all.

#20 Mordkanin

Mordkanin

Neowinian Senior

• 5,374 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 20:51

Of course not. Why would we need to survive in the wilderness? The odds that an individual in a modern society would be put into that kind of situation at any point in their lives is basically statistically insignificant.

But I might be biased. I'm an engineer. I make technology.

#21 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,370 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:05

I don't see it as an over dependance, we are just making use of the resources with thanks to the intelligence of our brightest minds. Our lives haven't really been based around our evolution for hundreds of years.

#22 nvllsvm

nvllsvm

Neowinian Senior

• 1,540 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:55

Could you last a week without the internet, your smartphone, or a computer? Test it out.

Write that essay by hand (or using a typewriter) just to make a point :D

What would that accomplish? I don't see depending on technology. If all our beloved technology were to disappear or stop functioning, then we could adapt. Until that day, I will love using it.

*holds keyboard in air* "From my cold, dead hands!"

#23 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:56

Technology evolves with time. To cave man, fire was technology for cooking, lighting, tool for crafting, defense etc. So technically, we have always be dependent on technology.

Take away the tools to create fire and you can fashion your own, in modern days everything (for the most part) is stored electronically, take away electronics/electricity and you would lose everything, how many people today have the knowledge to survive away from technology, most people today would just go to google or wikipedia to find out how to cultivate crops, build a shelter, etc..

#24 I am Not PCyr

I am Not PCyr

Neowinian

• 1,223 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:58

Let's put it like this - if there was a country wide EMP that went off, we'd all be terribly, terribly screwed. Individually we could probably do without our own technology, but then there's the backbone of modern society that entirely relies on it from food production to communication and without it, we'd no longer be able to function as a society.

the perfect reply.

the answer is a crystal clear Y E S
and like he said its a matter of WHEN not if.. the clock is ticking
some people need a history lesson..
This has happened before more than once and when it happens like it did 100 years ago
then we are seriously screwed big time !

doesn't matter if people think they can turn off their computer or stop texting..
the planets infrastructure and teh electronics that swirl around our planet keep this
bloated selfish society afloat.. for now anyway

edit:
http://en.wikipedia....r_storm_of_1859
http://en.wikipedia....omagnetic_storm

#25 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:02

the perfect reply.

the answer is a crystal clear Y E S
and like he said its a matter of WHEN not if.. the clock is ticking
some people need a history lesson..
This has happened before more than once and when it happens like it did 100 years ago
then we are seriously screwed big time !

doesn't matter if people think they can turn off their computer or stop texting..
the planets infrastructure and teh electronics that swirl around our planet keep this
bloated selfish society afloat.. for now anyway

Not wanting to get fantastical, I think thats what society needs today, to wipe the slate clean and start fresh, only the people who are selfless would work together to survive, everyone else would just die off.

#26 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,623 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:21

I can't go 5 minutes without my computer. And when I'm not on it, I'm talking about it, or some other technology.

#27 pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

• 881 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:35

My opinion is that we have an UNDER dependance on technology; Everything should be based on technology to make our life easier. IM not taking Minority Report or I,Robot **** but.....

#28 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,152 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 15:15

Do we have a dependance over sex ? Do we have a dependance over legal and illegal drugs ? Do we have a dependance over brand recognition ? Do we have a dependance over carbonated soft drink ? Do we have a dependance over fast food ? Do we have a dependance over overpaid pro sport athletes and entertainment stars ? Is TMZ stupid ?

The answer might be yes to all those questions.

But who am i the tell other people how to live their own life ?

Being happy and healthy is the only important thing in life. If you need to carry your iPhone around to be happy because you want to sms every minute with your gf then so be it. If you need your BigMac once a week to be happy then so be it. If Metro makes you happy then so be it.

#29 matt4pack

matt4pack

Neowinian

• 787 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 18:01

When the next huge solar flare hits we'll find out. The one that hit in the 1800's would probably cause chaos today. I'm for technology but we shouldn't rely solely on it as we might see one day.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!