Default Music & Video Locations in Surface RT

Current Setup:

1. Windows 7 PC at home (upgrading to Win8 over the weekend)
  2. Windows Phone 7.5
  3. Sufrace RT

I received my 32GB Surface RT recently. I have added a 64GB microsdxc card to it which shows up in the "regular" Windows side of things but does not show up as additional storage on the "tablet" side of things. However, that's not a big issue for adding my non-Zune music because i was able to copy it to the microsdxc card and point it to the Music library so all of this music is now visible in the Music app (instructions are available on the winsupersite website).

However, I can't find a way to set the Music app to use the storage card as a default location for ALL music (any future downloads/purchases from XBox Music).

Any ideas? Thanks.

Try adding the folder of music on the SD card to the Music folder library in Desktop mode.

(Find the Music folder in your User profile, right click it, click properties, and click 'Include a folder...' and add the folder of music from your SD card.)

Do the same for the videos folder. I also like doing this with my Pictures folder in Skydrive. It makes Desktop mode feel like all my photos are local when they are in Skydrive.

Try adding the folder of music on the SD card to the Music folder library in Desktop mode.

(Find the Music folder in your User profile, right click it, click properties, and click 'Include a folder...' and add the folder of music from your SD card.)

Do the same for the videos folder. I also like doing this with my Pictures folder in Skydrive. It makes Desktop mode feel like all my photos are local when they are in Skydrive.

That's what I already did in order for the Music app to see my non-Zune music which is stored on the card. That doesn't make it the default storage location for new music downloaded on the Surface.

That's what I already did in order for the Music app to see my non-Zune music which is stored on the card. That doesn't make it the default storage location for new music downloaded on the Surface.

Oh sorry I slightly miss read. Have you tried making the folder on the SD card the Default save location? (can be found in the same properties box for Music folder. There should be a check mark next to the folder)

If you added a folder to the library for music or video, if you're in file explorer on the desktop and click on the music library then the Manage tab - Manga library. Once the window comes up with the folders that are in the music library you can right click on the folder you want and set it as the default and public save location. I have all my music on a different hdd and not my C: drive. I went in and added this folder location and got rid of the My Music folder that's the default. Then if it's the only folder in the library list it becomes the default save locations on it's own. If you have more than one just right click and you should see the option to make it the default save location etc.

Oh sorry I slightly miss read. Have you tried making the folder on the SD card the Default save location? (can be found in the same properties box for Music folder. There should be a check mark next to the folder)

Thanks, will try this today. I completely forgot that there is an option for that - hopefully this is all I need to do.

If you added a folder to the library for music or video, if you're in file explorer on the desktop and click on the music library then the Manage tab - Manga library. Once the window comes up with the folders that are in the music library you can right click on the folder you want and set it as the default and public save location. I have all my music on a different hdd and not my C: drive. I went in and added this folder location and got rid of the My Music folder that's the default. Then if it's the only folder in the library list it becomes the default save locations on it's own. If you have more than one just right click and you should see the option to make it the default save location etc.

Good idea, I might just remove the previous default location.

I'll try this too. Ideally this is the state I want to be in, I don't want any music or video being downloaded to the tablet itself - I'd rather use the 32GB for downloading apps.