Wondering why Apple latest toy doesn't sell cheap? Here's why:

http://www.cultofmac...t-sell-for-199/

#2 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Android

Posted 05 November 2012 - 14:44

Nothing like that, it costs more because the sheep will pay the ripoff prices while the rest of us laugh at them

#3 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 05 November 2012 - 14:48

The price you pay above the rest is for that unparalleled ecosystem.

#4 torrentthief

torrentthief

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 15:00

can't believe that writer tried to defend their price. Their lowest end model costs $188 to make, they would make $11 profit, instead he talks about the higher capacity models and lte models.

#5 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 05 November 2012 - 15:00

Nothing like that, it costs more because the sheep will pay the ripoff prices while the rest of us laugh at them

Leave it to you to throw out common sense and reason just to blame it on the sheep. Maybe one day you'll work through whatever insecurity issue that you're having and realize that Apple is a for profit company in it to make money (GO CAPITALISM!), and that a good chunk of people buy their stuff because they personally think it's worth it. That's not up for you to decide, and the only person who you should be laughing at is yourself.

#6 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 15:15

We'd really need a comparison of the Fire and other tablets to see if it's a fair price or not. My assumption was that Amazon sells those at a loss.

#7 jasondefaoite

jasondefaoite

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 05 November 2012 - 15:23

We'd really need a comparison of the Fire and other tablets to see if it's a fair price or not. My assumption was that Amazon sells those at a loss.

According to iSuppli ...

FireHD $201.70
Nexus 7 $152

Why the iPad mini doesn't sell for $199. Simple, Apple wants > $100 profit per sale.

#8 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 05 November 2012 - 15:26

I saw the iPad Mini at BestBuy. I put it side by side with the Nexus and the Kindle HD and the Mini has more screen real estate than the others. It is way lighter also. It is well built. The screen is absolutely gorgeous, but so is the Kindles. In terms of UI speeds, the others are faster but Apple didn't do a bad job with the Mini.

According to iSuppli ...

FireHD $201.70
Nexus 7 $152

Why the iPad mini doesn't sell for $199. Simple, Apple wants > $100 profit per sale.

Yes. They are greedy so they must make those big bucks to play their executive's big fat checks.

#9 Sartoris

Sartoris

Neowinian

Posted 05 November 2012 - 15:51

Yes. They are greedy so they must make those big bucks to play their executive's big fat checks.

Well Tim Cook does make $378 million a year.

#10 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:01

The price you pay above the rest is for that unparalleled ecosystem.

I think you mean "walled garden".

#11 +Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:03

I wonder if there will ever be an Apple discussion thread where people aren't frothing at the mouth to point out how every single Apple customer is a "sheep" and clearly incapable of rationally selecting a tech product based on their needs and requirements.

And I'm also curious to know what makes Apple the bad guy, but other tech companies (such as Microsoft) the poor underdog, who deserve your vociferous support.

Tech fanboyism really is baffling.

#12 coresx

coresx

Neowinian

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:03

The market decides the price. People are quite happy to pay that much so it stays that way. Doesn't matter how much it costs to produce.

Personally I don't see it as a good deal for the hardware specs so I won't buy it. Next iteration, perhaps I will.

#13 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:04

According to iSuppli ...

FireHD $201.70
Nexus 7 $152

Apple has physical stores they own and employees they pay working in them, while Google and Amazon don't.

It's also been established that Amazon sells the Fire under the assumption that people will either subscribe to Prime or buy things through their store.

#14 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:07

Leave it to you to throw out common sense and reason just to blame it on the sheep. Maybe one day you'll work through whatever insecurity issue that you're having and realize that Apple is a for profit company in it to make money (GO CAPITALISM!), and that a good chunk of people buy their stuff because they personally think it's worth it. That's not up for you to decide, and the only person who you should be laughing at is yourself.

As a SMART capitalist I will buy whatever device gives me the vest all around bang for the buck, so far Apple has always fell short of that, as much as I'd like to own a MacBook or an iMac, it just doesn't make good money sense to pay the Apple tax, but that's me and each person is different when spending their money, Capitalism at it's best

#15 dfuk

dfuk

Neowinian

Posted 05 November 2012 - 16:12

And apple know you will buy stuff from their store because you have no choice.