Like your Surface? No, you can't (or shouldn't). It's a bad dev

microsoft surface

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#46 dafin0

dafin0

Neowinian

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:39

I like my surface but with that said i have seen a fair bit a slow down when doing some things such as when im in Windows Explorer and scrolling through files its chuggy, Cut the rope and fruit ninja are a little bit laggy (playable). those are the times i can think of off the top of my head but as i said overall i enjoy the device.

#47 +astropheed

astropheed

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: W7, SLES(D)11, VMware, NW6, XP, Mint, Ubuntu11 and sometimes Redhat
  • Phone: Note 3

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:45

The fanboyism here is really getting annoying. I am starting to feel like Neowin has become to Microsoft what iSheep have become to Apple.

Having someone disagree with you doesn't make them anymore a fanboy than you are for your opinions not reflecting theirs. So, with that justification, if you don't like Windows 8 you must be an Apple fanboy. I assure you, I'm not a Windows (8 or otherwise) fanboy. I use multiple systems and I like almost all of them.

I can see a lot of emotions coming from this discussion so I'll just leave it alone now. I just wanted to reply this last time to justify my position of not being biased one way or the other.

#48 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 November 2012 - 23:52

I like my surface but with that said i have seen a fair bit a slow down when doing some things such as when im in Windows Explorer and scrolling through files its chuggy, Cut the rope and fruit ninja are a little bit laggy (playable). those are the times i can think of off the top of my head but as i said overall i enjoy the device.

That's actually useful feedback. I've experienced the same thing.
Am I sorry that purchase one sight unseen? Hell no.

To completely write off a brand new device that has been out under 2 weeks is kind of dickish.
Some of the "sluggishness" will be fixed as apps/OS are being updated constantly. It'll get much better when it's had a bit of time to mature.

#49 UKDarkJedi

UKDarkJedi

Neowinian

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:05

I could go back and multiquote the two people who referred to my demographics post on page 1 but meh, it's kinda moot now.

I personally think the ipad/ipad mini is targeted at a completely different audience, yes. Ipad is (at least to my mind) aimed at people who want a device for media consumption, browsing (not even all that heavy browsing) and gaming. Surface tries to fill an almost laptop replacement niche that ipads and android tablets thus far cannot hope to achieve (and I'm a huge Android fan) in terms of productivity and being accepted into the workplace - My MD is considering getting a couple for meetings, notes taking, document managing on the go, interfacing with our smartboard etc. So yes I think they are aimed at completely different demographics.

#50 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:06

Having someone disagree with you doesn't make them anymore a fanboy than you are for your opinions not reflecting theirs. So, with that justification, if you don't like Windows 8 you must be an Apple fanboy. I assure you, I'm not a Windows (8 or otherwise) fanboy. I use multiple systems and I like almost all of them.

I can see a lot of emotions coming from this discussion so I'll just leave it alone now. I just wanted to reply this last time to justify my position of not being biased one way or the other.

I have no problems disagreeing with anyone. You're the one who called my opinions unfounded...

#51 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:06

I haven't noticed any lag on my Surface. Some apps take a fraction of a second longer to load than you'd expect and the back gesture in IE10 needs fixing (it performs a full refresh as opposed to just using the back button which works instantly and as expected) but I haven't noticed lag. Animations are all smooth, multitasking is smooth and efficient and, once loaded, all my apps run perfectly smoothly and quickly.

I find the comments about Cut the Rope interesting. I initially avoided it because I'd read reviews that mentioned poor performance but I decided to try it anyway and it's fine. The performance of some of the built in apps such as Music and Video is a bit disappointing but I've found better alternatives in the Store for those anyway.

I'm quite happy to put up with an occasional second or two wait for an app to load because that delay is easily offset by the other benefits of the Surface. Besides, MS seem to be releasing updates fairly regularly so I expect they'll iron out any performance issues before too long. IMO there are far more pros to this device than cons.

#52 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 07 November 2012 - 00:10

You are a reporter for Neowin, a tech site, and that's your attitude towards technology?
"If I don't like it, it's crap?"

I don't like how tech companies are treating me and my computer habits during the latest years.

#53 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:39

Yes, that is the easiest way to do it. You then have to be sure to navigate the Desktop Windows Update to see all updates and select Office as it is an optional update. If it were a mandatory update you'd get it eventually without having to dig in there, but the didn't flag it as one oddly enough.

BS, you can select optional updates from metro as well. I never had to load desktop windows update to get the office update. Have you actually used surface or are you regurgitating what ignorant bloggers tell you?

#54 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:41

BS, you can select optional updates from metro as well. I never had to load desktop windows update to get the office update. Have you actually used surface or are you regurgitating what ignorant bloggers tell you?

Where? I have access to the one at work for mobile dev so I have used it and the only place I saw to do it was in desktop Windows Update.

#55 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:02

I call BS. I haven't met a single person that wasn't downright impressed by the Surface and didn't want to buy one after playing with mine.

... sarcasm?

I played with one in the store, it's not there yet. Window 8 Metro, in general, isn't there with the apps yet either. I would have also needed the hard keyboard, which jacks up the price, which makes the whole thing a bit overpriced.

I mean, it's a nice concept, but it's not a magical wonder tablet like it could be.

#56 siah1214

siah1214

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:18

Where? I have access to the one at work for mobile dev so I have used it and the only place I saw to do it was in desktop Windows Update.

When you check for updates it tells you that there are x number of important updates. Tap on that line and it shows you all updates, with optional updates checked. Tap outside the box, tap Install updates, and they'll install.

#57 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:37

When you check for updates it tells you that there are x number of important updates. Tap on that line and it shows you all updates, with optional updates checked. Tap outside the box, tap Install updates, and they'll install.

In desktop Windows Update? As when I did this multiple times the only update that wasn't checked until done manually was Office. As this was a major topic of discussion in the office.

#58 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:34

so I have seen iOS "lag" on multiple devices (iPhone 4, 4S, iPad2) - especialy with the Settings, Mail, Calendar and sometimes in the Camera app. I have seen many Apple apps crash randomly but I didn't see these tech-reporters ever writing anything of this sorts for iOS - bias much?
For all these people saying how Surface is not as good as iPad, have they actually used Surface to its full potential? Connect your camera and download photos, print documents, increase storage when needed?
I haven't had a chance to try out Surface in person much but it looks like when reviewing anything non-Apple, these writers start from 0 and then climb up slowly towards 10 whereas with Apple they start from 10 and then go in the opposite direction.
Almost all iOS releases from iOS3 onwards have been buggy intially and patched overtime to be actually usable. The latest Maps debacle haven't stopped these same people from writing glowing reviews of iPhone 5 whereas if Nokia or LG or HTC or Samsung had one minor bug in any app, then they get bad reviews.
In a nutshell - these guys are crap, don't pay attention.

Surface's main problem is that it is not made by Apple, all other problems can be fixed by updates.

#59 Josh_LosAltosHills

Josh_LosAltosHills

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5. Waiting on New Nokia Phones

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:01

I had a couple of issues with the surface. one was the audio in xbox music skipping when the display shut off. a thread was started a couple of days ago on the MS Surface support forums and after a lot of replies, me included someone from tech support said they were on it. today they pushed out an update to fix it. Moral of the story, have patience and let MS know directly via their forums about issues you have. they don't see people complain here.

#60 Wyn6

Wyn6

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 925

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:11

I had a couple of issues with the surface. one was the audio in xbox music skipping when the display shut off. a thread was started a couple of days ago on the MS Surface support forums and after a lot of replies, me included someone from tech support said they were on it. today they pushed out an update to fix it. Moral of the story, have patience and let MS know directly via their forums about issues you have. they don't see people complain here.

There's an update that hit today that fixes the Xbox music thing. I never experienced but it's good to know that people who have will get a fix.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!