Windows 8 Requirements

Same as Windows 7, but a 1024x768 or higher screen resolution is needed to use WinRT programs. And Windows 8 is lighter than 7 so it runs better in general on the same hardware.

If you?re running Windows 7 without any problem, Windows 8 will normally run perfectly

• Like 2

Same as Windows 7, but a 1024x768 or higher screen resolution is needed to use WinRT programs. And Windows 8 is lighter than 7 so it runs better in general on the same hardware.

If you?re running Windows 7 without any problem, Windows 8 will normally run perfectly

If only that were true. I can't get my main desktop to work correctly with Windows 8 but is currently running Windows 7 with no problems (or additional drivers except the nVidia ones for my graphics card)

But I accept I'm a rare case. In 99.99% of cases if your machine runs Windows 7 fine Windows 8 will work fine to.

If only that were true. I can't get my main desktop to work correctly with Windows 8 but is currently running Windows 7 with no problems (or additional drivers except the nVidia ones for my graphics card)

But I accept I'm a rare case. In 99.99% of cases if your machine runs Windows 7 fine Windows 8 will work fine to.

All has to do with driver problems.

All has to do with driver problems.

Probably but I'm unable to get Windows installed at all so I don't know how I can fix it.

The only way I can get Windows 8 to install is to take out my ?400 PCI express graphics card and use my ?40 PCI graphics card. Even after doing that and getting Windows installed I have to keep the PCI card in in order for the machine to boot. Taking out the PCI one results in the same problems I have when trying to install. This is even after installing the latest nVidia drivers. I've tried almost every version of the Windows 8 nVidia drivers available and the problem exists.

I can live with having two graphics card in my machine, the main problem I have when I actually get Windows 8 installed is that I'm unable to get the machine to turn off. I have to physically hold down the power button on my tower to get the machine to turn off, any other way of shutting down the machine results in all the case fans constantly running.

This is a 6 year old motherboard and as far as I can see Asus don't have Windows 8 drivers available for it.

I didn't think that much had changed between Windows 7 and 8 that would cause all these issues.