Photo

Windows 8 Start Screen is horrible

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#1 seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:23

It's really a poor redesign of apple's old 'At Ease' environment, except unlike 'At Ease' it's overly complicated and has a horrible workflow often times taking many more click to get anything. Microsoft can't really be serious about keeping this on windows 9 can they? They had to have put it on windows 8 to promote windows RT development for a couple years while they catch up with apple, right? Everything about this is just wrong. I tried to like it, I really did, it's just horrible. It belongs on a tablet and no where else. How can any of you defend having two parallel environments where the new one is far inferior to the old one?

#2 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:28

Something wrong with Windows 8? Na, it's all your fault. It's a change made by Microsoft, awesome by default...

:p

#3 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:32

ITT: More troll baiting.

There isn't even anything of substance in this thread. All you are doing is encouraging stupidity.

#4 BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:34

Another one of "THESE" topics? Yawn...

#5 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Something wrong with Windows 8? Na, it's all your fault. It's a change made by Microsoft, awesome by default...

:p

Awesome? Are you kidding or blind? Those tiles are the ugliest thing to come out of Richmond since Windows 3.11. No way to change the way they look. No way to change the background to something of your own unless you buy a 3rd party application. Seta-san is right. The design is complete sh...t. Apple is going to have a blast on their next OSX show with this.

Like it or not, that new Windows UI is horrible indeed If it wasn't was Start8 I would have gone back to Windows 7 already. You say is awesome. Well, it won't be after a few weeks of looking at the same thing, not being able to change it or do anything with it. It simply sucks. Sorry, but it does.

I have always said it and I will once more: The new Windows UI is great for a tablet, not for a desktop.

#6 OP seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

ITT: More troll baiting.

There isn't even anything of substance in this thread. All you are doing is encouraging stupidity.

fine, tell me how is the start screen superior? In which way? How does taking the whole screen help you? Why does using it take several more clicks than the old start menu? It's poor design; poor work flow, not designed to making the desktop experience better but instead to promote a tablet market that Microsoft is far behind the '8 ball' on.

#7 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:36

fine, tell me how is the start screen superior? In which way? How does taking the whole screen help you? Why does using it take several more clicks than the old start menu? It's poor design; poor work flow, not designed to making the desktop experience better but instead to promote a tablet market that Microsoft is far behind the '8 ball' on.

(Y) (Y) (Y)

#8 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:37

I wasn't suggesting it was better in any way.

I am simply saying that your thread simply rehashes the content of a plethora of other threads that do it better and with substantial content.

It's your opinion, you are entitled to it regardless of what it is. I am just sick of the baseless content-free topics.

#9 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:44

Awesome? Are you kidding or blind? Those tiles are the ugliest thing to come out of Richmond since Windows 3.11. No way to change the way they look. No way to change the background to something of your own unless you buy a 3rd party application. Seta-san is right. The design is complete sh...t. Apple is going to have a blast on their next OSX show with this.

Like it or not, that new Windows UI is horrible indeed If it wasn't was Start8 I would have gone back to Windows 7 already. You say is awesome. Well, it won't be after a few weeks of looking at the same thing, not being able to change it or do anything with it. It simply sucks. Sorry, but it does.

I have always said it and I will once more: The new Windows UI is great for a tablet, not for a desktop.

You missed the heavy touch of sarcasm in my post, I actually agree with you :p

#10 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:46

Conservative minds have trouble accepting change.

#11 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:49

It's really a poor redesign of apple's old 'At Ease' environment, except unlike 'At Ease' it's overly complicated and has a horrible workflow often times taking many more click to get anything. Microsoft can't really be serious about keeping this on windows 9 can they? They had to have put it on windows 8 to promote windows RT development for a couple years while they catch up with apple, right? Everything about this is just wrong. I tried to like it, I really did, it's just horrible. It belongs on a tablet and no where else. How can any of you defend having two parallel environments where the new one is far inferior to the old one?

complicated?? My grandma uses Win8 with ease so if its complicated to you then pack it up sell it on ebay and move on.

#12 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:51

But even Mitt Romney figured out how to use Windows 8.

#13 OP seta-san

seta-san

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:55

no. This has nothing to do with that. I went into this with an open mind. I really thought this would be at worst, different and unrefined. What it is, is just plain ****. mtro actually interferer's with my desktop apps sometimes. I'll be playing WoW and suddenly something in metro will want do something and i'll no longer be able to control my character. I can take different. D

for example, i really enjoyed playing around with the 3DNA desktop replacement app for win98

http://www.theeastsoft.com/en/?p=80

that was different

windows 8 is just wrong. Wrong workflow, wrong design for desktop. I wish Microsoft the best on WinRT but this is inexcusable.

complicated?? My grandma uses Win8 with ease so if its complicated to you then pack it up sell it on ebay and move on.

This can't rest. If the people who are ****ed off just let it go then Microsoft will continue to package this **** and some day it'll be unavoidable.

#14 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 November 2012 - 14:55

But even Mitt Romney figured out how to use Windows 8.

Yeah, but he's a liberal in disguise.

#15 Xoligy

Xoligy

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2012 - 15:00

If you dont like the metro theme like myself just install Start8. I dont see what the complaint is really about tbh as anything you dont like there is always a way to change it via 3rd party apps. "But we shouldnt need to buy or even get 3rd party apps!" Everyone is different and everyone likes different things, you just can not please everyone with one design its a fact. Anyway im going to watch some tv, this post is pointless.