Windows 8 Start Screen is horrible

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#46 The King of GnG

The King of GnG

Knight and King of the Great Hell Village

• Phone: Windows Phone

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:42

Naive minds think any change is advancement.

And fanboy minds think Microsoft is good now just because it has adapted the same disgusting company model of Apple.

#47 J_R_G

J_R_G

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:46

What kind of mind thinks no change is advancement, out of curiosity?

#48 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:48

Awesome? Are you kidding or blind? Those tiles are the ugliest thing to come out of Richmond since Windows 3.11. No way to change the way they look. No way to change the background to something of your own unless you buy a 3rd party application. Seta-san is right. The design is complete sh...t. Apple is going to have a blast on their next OSX show with this.

Like it or not, that new Windows UI is horrible indeed If it wasn't was Start8 I would have gone back to Windows 7 already. You say is awesome. Well, it won't be after a few weeks of looking at the same thing, not being able to change it or do anything with it. It simply sucks. Sorry, but it does.

I have always said it and I will once more: The new Windows UI is great for a tablet, not for a desktop.

I see the start screen about 2 times a day. I realize this is a troll thread but yet again Windows 8 haters provide no reasoning except "don't like metro". You can't customize the start menu any more than the start screen (less infact) so why not start bitching about that too?

#49 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Phone: iPhone 5 (very cheap second hand)

Posted 10 November 2012 - 16:50

What kind of mind thinks no change is advancement, out of curiosity?

Conservative ones.

Wanna ask for the truly great minds? Those are who can truly discern when change is incremental or detrimental.

World is not black and white. Are we supposed to adopt a change or no-change model?

#50 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 November 2012 - 21:54

Scott Mueller (Upgrading and Repairing PCs) sez: "Companies that alienate customers usually don't fare well, it will be interesting to see where MS goes from here".

They're alienating no one except a vocal few who seem to think they are entitled to have things their way.

#51 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 November 2012 - 21:57

The impression that I get is that it's more than a few. Visit a forum with a bit more balance and you'll see it. And when I pay for something, I do have the right to expect it to work how I want it to.

#52 +BeerFan

BeerFan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 21:58

I agree with the OP: it's crap. The only thing i use the Start Screen for is to get to the Desktop.

#53 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• Phone: Android

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:15

Bitch an moan. The Start menu is morphed live with it. I personally have grown to appreciate and like it. MS is smart in offering it cheap right now to migrate over. If you've not tried it. I don't mean the Consumer preview, get the Retail for 40.00. It's a steal. It's blind robbery if you get it for 15. side by side on the same hardware, Windows 8 kills Windows 7 in performance. Sorry it's just facts. I've cleaned installed on two laptops both Win7 and Win8 to find Win8 being better to work with. Also finding that really the only thing that appears to have changed is the morphed start menu. Everything is essentially where it always was. Just gotta click a little more.

Windows 8 provides a different way to use windows. I'm still finding some things I don't like though but overall it's not a big deal.

#54 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:23

the only thing that appears to have changed is the morphed start menu. Everything is essentially where it always was. Just gotta click a little more.

Shouldn't we be moving in the other direction?

#55 Kaze23

Kaze23

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:23

It's really a poor redesign of apple's old 'At Ease' environment, except unlike 'At Ease' it's overly complicated and has a horrible workflow often times taking many more click to get anything. Microsoft can't really be serious about keeping this on windows 9 can they? They had to have put it on windows 8 to promote windows RT development for a couple years while they catch up with apple, right? Everything about this is just wrong. I tried to like it, I really did, it's just horrible. It belongs on a tablet and no where else. How can any of you defend having two parallel environments where the new one is far inferior to the old one?

Oh look, more bitching about the Start screen. There hasn't been like 700 million threads about this already.

#56 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:24

And fanboy minds think Microsoft is good now just because it has adapted the same disgusting company model of Apple.

Umm, pardon me, Apple happens to be the most valuable company in the world, ahead of friggin Exxon. You can call Apple's company model "disgusting", but hey, it works.

As far as the original thread, if the OP doesn't care for Windows 8, that individual should simply use another operating system. Life goes on.

#57 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:27

And what does that have to do with my post?

Strawman is made of straw. :pirate:

#58 Zlain

Zlain

Neowinian

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:29

This is why I don't understand many people (not all) whom dislike Windows 8.

You clearly stated in the first post that metro was meant for tablets. Why then, do you not just go straight into desktop and stay there? What on earth keeps people compelled to use metro rather than the desktop on a PC?????????

The idea of Windows 8 is that we have one OS for several devices. Depending on the device, we use Windows 8 differently. If you are on a PC, you will use the desktop most of the time. The only reason (I'm sure there are others but can't think of them atm) you'd need to use Metro on a PC is to search or go to a new app and that is the the same thing as Windows 7 - press windows key and type. That is it.

#59 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:30

The impression that I get is that it's more than a few. Visit a forum with a bit more balance and you'll see it. And when I pay for something, I do have the right to expect it to work how I want it to.

No, sorry, that's not how it goes. You buy something and have a right to expect it to work for you. Not how you want it. Besides, the Start Screen works just the same as the Start Menu. Nothing has fundamentally changed.

#60 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 10 November 2012 - 22:38

Besides, the Start Screen works just the same as the Start Menu. Nothing has fundamentally changed.

I can understand why people don't like the Start Screen but as you say nothing has changed fundamentally. In fact you now have much greater customisation and it can display considerably more items than the old Start Menu. It is designed for launching applications, which it does very well. All I would say is that the All Apps menu shouldn't be hidden behind and mouse click and buried in the bottom right-hand corner - it should be immediately visible and located in the bottom-left corner. The icons could also be larger for x86-64 applications, as there is a lot of wasted space.

I imagine the Start Screen will receive some attention before Windows 9.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!