Photo

Windows 8 Start Screen is horrible

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#61 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: An awesome Moto X for $150 off contract.

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:48

And what does that have to do with my post?

Couldnt be any clearer.

#62 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:48

The impression that I get is that it's more than a few. Visit a forum with a bit more balance and you'll see it. And when I pay for something, I do have the right to expect it to work how I want it to.

So don't pay for it and stop your constant moaning. If you've already bought it then you did so knowing that there's no Start menu so, again, stop grizzling like a spoilt child.

#63 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:53

Once you setup the start screen and arrange pinned programs to your liking, you can actually navigate to open programs faster vs. the start menu.

#64 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 11 November 2012 - 00:58

So don't pay for it and stop your constant moaning. If you've already bought it then you did so knowing that there's no Start menu so, again, stop grizzling like a spoilt child.

Sorry, Neowin isn't your forum so you don't get to tell me what I can and cannot do.

No, sorry, that's not how it goes. You buy something and have a right to expect it to work for you. Not how you want it. Besides, the Start Screen works just the same as the Start Menu. Nothing has fundamentally changed.

Nothing has changed? Whatever you're smoking, keep it away from me.

#65 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:10

Sorry, Neowin isn't your forum so you don't get to tell me what I can and cannot do.

Fine. Carry on making a fool out of yourself.

#66 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:12

Name one thing the old start menu did that the new start screen doesn't? You can't, because there's nothing from the old start menu that can't be done exactly the same way on the new start screen.

#67 aviator189

aviator189

Neowinian

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:12

oh cry some more.....

really, if it bothers you that much, go download start8 or go back to windows 7.

#68 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:16

Name one thing the old start menu did that the new start screen doesn't? You can't, because there's nothing from the old start menu that can't be done exactly the same way on the new start screen.

It didn't slap me in the face when I stated my computer for starters, it arranged items into folders rather than just slapping them on a screen of endless icons, and it wasn't made with boringly dull gradients.

#69 benthebear

benthebear

Doin' manly things

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:21

Jump list.

#70 DudeBro

DudeBro

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:12

Once you setup the start screen and arrange pinned programs to your liking, you can actually navigate to open programs faster vs. the start menu.

This. With just the mouse, hit the bottom left corner of the screen and then click on the big shiny button for your programs/shortcuts. I can launch my apps quickly with the start screen just because I can remember from visual memory where stuff are pinned. I don't have to navigate a bunch of menus and folders and maybe accidentally closing the nested folder because I moved my mouse a pixel too far.

Maybe its just because I rarely used the old start menu and usually just have everything i commonly used pinned on the taskbar or desktop. It's funny that I actually use win8 start screen more than the old start menu. Maybe its because I find it intuitive and fun to use.

The learning curve is pretty low IMO, child's play even. Took me maybe half an hour to learn everything about the start screen. I don't feel like its any harder to use compared to the start menu. It's functionally the same for launching programs and searching stuff. It just looks different, that's all. Also I don't use any of the metro apps. I use win8 the same way I did win7.

When it comes down to it, Windows 8 is overall the better OS. Its snappier on my old core2duo(6 years old), drivers work flawlessly out of the box, explorer improvements are great and dare I say IMPROVED the way of launching programs. But of course that's only my opinion. There will always be haters/critics.

Edit: oh I forgot to add, Start screen takes more clicks? If you pinned all your most used system utilities, software, folders etc, it only takes 2 clicks! Click corner to open start screen then click app, done! If you wanna see all the installed programs, with keyboard hit Win+W and BAM! ALL of it displayed at once in alphabetical order and you can search em too! Just 1 click from there! NO IDEA where the extra clicks are coming from. MAYBE its hard if you're using touchpad on a laptop, but then its your own damn fault. That crap is tough to use no matter what OS.

#71 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:20

Yeah, I find the new start screen pretty easy to use.Heck, my wife has already learned how to pin apps, and I'm still amazed by that.

#72 remixedcat

remixedcat

meow!

• Phone: I use telepathy and cat meows to communicate

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:26

Conservative minds have trouble accepting change.

+9000000000000000000000000001!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#73 nub

nub

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:28

ITT: More troll baiting.

There isn't even anything of substance in this thread. All you are doing is encouraging stupidity.

They disagree, MUST BE TROLLING

#74 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:16

Really? Then something doesn't add up here... You can clearly see the that Start did not loose functionality in the slightest, and gained functionality that the old Menu cannot provide in it's "current" (Windows 7) form.

Start Graphic.PNG

#75 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:19

<<Thread Closed>> Since you guys can't play nice and keep the personal attacks out of something that could be a decent discussion.. This is why we can't have nice things.