Photo

Windows will not go to desktop

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Umbrello

Umbrello

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:51

Issue started today. When to boot up my Asus laptop. It goes through the bootup process, Welcome screen, then after that it freezes at a black screen and nothing happens. Mouse cursor is moveable but that's it. I ran the Windows Memory diagnostics, everything was clean. I am running in safe mode. Any help on this?

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7
6GB RAM

#2 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:53

Have you tried running a system restore back to your last save point? It sounds like something installed that doesn't want to work properly if Safe Mode is working.

Also running SFC /scannow from command prompt would probably be wise...just in case it's a system file responsible for it.

#3 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:53

Have you tried a System Restore?

#4 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 12 November 2012 - 22:55

Moved Here

#5 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:06

Boot in safemode and see what event logs say

#6 Som

Som

Neowinian

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:16

if you can open the task manager (CTRL, Shift & Escape) go to run and type control userpasswords and create a new user account, log out and see if you can access the desktop in the new account. Also try running combofix.. handy piece of software...

another thing i would recommend is to run a diagnostic on your hard drive ... actually do that first. Seatools is pretty good and works with most makes of hard drive... hope something there helps :)

#7 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:21

if you can open the task manager (CTRL, Shift & Escape) go to run and type control userpasswords and create a new user account, log out and see if you can access the desktop in the new account. Also try running combofix.. handy piece of software...

Good advice, but I wouldn't recommend to any one to use combo fix unless they're familiar with it's workings. Especially since we're unaware of the OP's level of expertise.

From ComboFix's website:

Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.

Just an FYI :)

#8 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:31

If it gets to welcome screen then sits there, it's likely to be a corrupt event/system log. It's a reasonably common problem and can be caused by incorrect permissions, file corruption and/or bad sectors on the hard drive.

#9 brink668

brink668

Neowinian

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:33

I have seen this happen and sometimes the computer takes a few minutes to boot into. How long have you waited?

I too have a laptop with the same issue but it does boot into Windows eventually. I have a bigger problem though I have a Ghost Image of Windows 7 of a laptop issue and I have not had any success in fixing this. However, I am rebuilding to see if a driver maybe cause of this. I have done some performance analysis with the Windows Developer software kit and can't identify any issue.

#10 OP Umbrello

Umbrello

Neowinian Senior

Posted 12 November 2012 - 23:42

Laptop is running the SFC scan now. Currently out to dinner, will report back when I get home. No, I have not run a system restore yet. Thanks for the prompt help, guys.

#11 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 00:49

No problem. I'm hoping it's something simple and easily fixed. :)

#12 OP Umbrello

Umbrello

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:20

C:\Users\*********>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

I have seen this happen and sometimes the computer takes a few minutes to boot into. How long have you waited?

I too have a laptop with the same issue but it does boot into Windows eventually. I have a bigger problem though I have a Ghost Image of Windows 7 of a laptop issue and I have not had any success in fixing this. However, I am rebuilding to see if a driver maybe cause of this. I have done some performance analysis with the Windows Developer software kit and can't identify any issue.

Enough time, really. I powered up the laptop, left to watch some TV and take care of some things, came back and it was still at the blank black screen with the cursor. Gave it about 10 full minutes to do its thing.

@Detection, where can I view the Event Logs here in safe mode?

Edit: Ok, I'm in Event Viewer. What should I be looking at/for?

#13 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:22

C:\Users\*********>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Enough time, really. I powered up the laptop, left to watch some TV and take care of some things, came back and it was still at the blank black screen with the cursor. Gave it about 10 full minutes to do its thing.

@Detection, where can I view the Event Logs here in safe mode?

Edit: Ok, I'm in Event Viewer. What should I be looking at/for?

I'd have a look in Windows Logs > System

Look for any ! critical errors or warnings

If you're able to log in using safemode, chances are it is a driver issue, possible a service that is hanging, event logs should show that

You could open MSCONFIG and disable any non microsoft services and see if it allows you to log in normally, then enable them 1 by 1

#14 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:23

You should be able to run it by pulling up Eventvwr.msc

That should give you the Event logs and let you see if anything odd is happening. My next step would be to run System Restore and just go back to the newest restore point.

After that I'd start doing the usual troubleshooting via Diskcheck, Memtest, and other utilities.

#15 OP Umbrello

Umbrello

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:25

I'd have a look in Windows Logs > System

Look for any ! errors or warnings

Uhmm, there are a ton of !Error events. ;| What do?