• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 SMELTN

SMELTN

Neowinian Senior

• OS: Windows 7 Ultimate, 2012 Macbook Pro, CR-48 Chromebook from Google
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 13 November 2012 - 20:13

Well the time has come, I am finally jumping ship from Apple back to Android. I have owned every iPhone since the 2g and own 2 Apple TV's, 2 iPads, and a 2012 Macbook Pro but have decided after purchasing the iPhone 5 the day it was released, that I am going back Android for my phone.

iPhone 5 for me is not what I wanted it to be. Most of the apps still aren't updated for the bigger screen so you have these bars up top and at the bottom. LTE is not available in my area with AT&T, hell it isn't available ANY where in my State yet, so its pointless for me, and overall I am just not happy with it. The OS has gotten very stale and with no jailbreak available, I have nothing to play around with to keep me interested. I also have had to return my iPhone 5 twice already due to hardware defects, and now looks like we have a new hardware defect with the screen not being able to keep up with swipes.

I was an Apple fanboi, an iSheep, yes, yes I was, but since Steve has died things have slowly started to go downhill, and with them releasing new products way to fact and some without quality testing and issues arising, I just don't see them continuing to climb, but instead decline.

#2 BetaAddict

BetaAddict

Uncomplicating the complicated

• Phone: MotoX, Nexus 7, Android 4.4

Posted 13 November 2012 - 22:57

Not really looking to buy, but just curious. Why not go for the Nexus 4 instead? Cheaper than the sgs3. Biggest benefit is immediate updates of new android versions. I had the sgs2 and it drove me insane that it took 6 months after ICS was announced for Samsung to release the update.

#3 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:21

I wouldn't say you're going "back" to Android. But excellent choice mate, you'll love the S3. Welcome uhh... back! :)

#4 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:25

Got my S3 some weeks back, loving it. You will like it a lot I'm sure.

#5 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:26

I had the sgs2 and it drove me insane that it took 6 months after ICS was announced for Samsung to release the update.

So why did you not run an AOKP rom or such?

#6 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:36

Hey mate glad your going for the S3 here are AOKP roms when you decide to flash. Very stable roms and run to use :) http://goo.im/devs/aokp/d2att Ive had battery life for over 22hours without charge.

#7 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:41

Hey mate glad your going for the S3 here are AOKP roms when you decide to flash. Very stable roms and run to use :) http://goo.im/devs/aokp/d2att Ive had battery life for over 22hours without charge.

Looks like that AOKP web site has Malware:

Posted Image

#8 Shadier

Shadier

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:48

Looks like that AOKP web site has Malware:

For whatever reason, Chrome considers a lot of the official custom rom websites and downloads to be malicious. Even the official CM9 nightlies get flagged as malware when you download them.

#9 Order_66

Order_66

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 November 2012 - 23:59

I have the verizon SGS3 and have tried many of the well known custom roms available for this phone and none of them have come close to the stability, battery life or speed as well as the stock rom, maybe it's my particular phone I dunno but the custom rom thing has not been very pleasant for me and this phone, perhaps the ATT versions are better.

With the stock rom non-rooted I can get around 30 hours of moderate use out of it and with the nova launcher I can get it to look and respond exactly the way I want it too.

Not dissing anyone for using custom roms, I used them on a lot of my previous phones with much success, but this GS3 just doesn't like them and really the longer I own it the more I begin to realize that it just doesn't need them.

Attached Images

• 2012-11-13 18.51.45.png

#10 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:04

I would get a phone that's not full of bloatware like the Nexus 4. I literally can't stand the S3 and don't get why it's so popular - just my opinion though!

Not really looking to buy, but just curious. Why not go for the Nexus 4 instead? Cheaper than the sgs3. Biggest benefit is immediate updates of new android versions. I had the sgs2 and it drove me insane that it took 6 months after ICS was announced for Samsung to release the update.

This pretty much summarises my feelings towards most android phones. The google nexus releases are the only ones I'd touch.

#11 Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:06

I would get a phone that's not full of bloatware like the Nexus 4. I literally can't stand the S3 and don't get why it's so popular - just my opinion though!

I agree. That is the thing I hate about about Samsung phones. They are full of useless bloatware and they take months, if not longer, to update to the latest and greatest version of Android. It sucks.

#12 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:10

I agree. That is the thing I hate about about Samsung phones. They are full of useless bloatware and they take months, if not longer, to update to the latest and greatest version of Android. It sucks.

Same with most android phones. Google are definitely taking things in the right direction with the nexus devices. I think they're great.

I'm gonna personally stick with my 4S for another year but love what Google and Microsoft are doing.

#13 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:18

Agreed. The Nexus platform should be the norm, rather than bloatware. And yet some people love Samsung TouchWiz or HTC Sense...

#14 freak180

freak180

Mr. GreatDisaster

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:23

touchwiz looks like crap and i honestly felt like it slowed down the the s3. It looks childish to the eye.

#15 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

Posted 14 November 2012 - 00:25

Sprints Samsung S3's have already received Jelly Bean. They might be getting quicker with these releases, as the hardware starts to not become too much of a factor. As well as carriers are becoming more accustomed to testing and releasing them faster too.