Photo

Sony issuing lifetime PSN bans to PS3 hackers

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:54

The firm has warned that those found to be using unauthorised or pirated software will have their PSN accounts permanently disabled.

Sony said in a statement: "Unauthorized software for the PlayStation 3 system was recently released by hackers.

"Use of such software violates the terms of the System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation 3 System and the Terms of Services and User Agreement for the PlayStation Network/Sony Entertainment Network and its Community Code of Conduct provisions.

"Violation of the System Software License Agreement for the PlayStation3 system invalidates the consumer's right to access that system.

"Consumers running unauthorized or pirated software may have their access to the PlayStation Network and access to Sony Entertainment Network services through PlayStation 3 system terminated permanently.

"To avoid permanent termination, consumers must immediately cease using and delete all unauthorized or pirated software from their PlayStation 3 systems."

Sony added that it's taking these steps to "help provide a safe, fair, online environment" for consumers.

Source: http://www.computera...to-ps3-hackers/

#2 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:56

Good, that's the catch with having a modded console, you shouldn't be able to cheat against people online, if you want online access buy the games.

#3 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:00

It's a shame PC games aren't like this, I'm not saying all server should be no cheating allowed, if you want to have a server with cheating on feel free but when people come on normal servers, cheat, and don't get banned by anyone on or VAC/valve or whatever - it's really annoying.

#4 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:02

Yeah MS should ban the accounts as well, not the console (or both). It's the cheaters/exploiters that ruin everything more so than the pirates, it's not even limited to MP, SP games with scoreboards - Sucks seeing scores of 9,999,999,999,999 or something.

I've seen some weird scores in Tokyo Jungle, but I guess it could just be crazy Asian players.

#5 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:15

Good, that's the catch with having a modded console, you shouldn't be able to cheat against people online, if you want online access buy the games.

Modded firmware != cheating.

#6 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:51

Yeah MS should ban the accounts as well, not the console (or both)..

They do.

#7 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:05

Never said it was, but if you mod a console you should expect to lose access to the online services to protect the integrity of system.

#8 Xerax

Xerax

Flashbomb

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:18

Yeah MS should ban the accounts as well, not the console (or both). It's the cheaters/exploiters that ruin everything more so than the pirates, it's not even limited to MP, SP games with scoreboards - Sucks seeing scores of 9,999,999,999,999 or something.

Incase you didn't know, Microsoft are the strictest when it comes to banning (For example, I played the Black Ops 2 Beta a few months back on a developer xbox, on the develpoper version of Xbox Live, and every console and account I own got banned, not just the console I was on).. And the fact leaderboards don't get fixed when the account get banned is because that isn't up to Microsoft, that's up to individual developers, fixing their own systems.

Although, I must say, it's almost degrading calling these kids "hackers". They downloaded something, installed it, and run around like such idiots trying to get attention/profit of other players misfortune. It happened pretty badly on Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox, and I'm glad Sony are starting to take banning seriously.

#9 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:30

Never said it was

Really?

"you shouldn't be able to cheat against people online" - And the context of this conversation is modded firmware.

#10 OP Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:39

In regards to my Xbox account comment, they used to just ban the console for modded firmware/piracy, has that now changed then?

#11 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:47

Really?

"you shouldn't be able to cheat against people online" - And the context of this conversation is modded firmware.

It's a security precaution, mod your firmware and you lose access to online services to protect copyrighted material and to stop people from using cheat modded games online.

You can't seriously expect Sony to do nothing about it just because some people will use modded firmware without infringing on copyrights.

#12 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:51

I tried to play GTA IV multiplayer about a month ago and it was rampant with cheaters. I don't know how they even got cheats onto the PS3 platform, I thought that cheating mainly happened to PC, but I saw it, and it was very clear that they were using cheats of the hacking time. Hopefully these tools got banned by this and it is playable again.

#13 Xerax

Xerax

Flashbomb

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:51

In regards to my Xbox account comment, they used to just ban the console for modded firmware/piracy, has that now changed then?

Console Ban for just a modded firmware. Console and Account ban for Playing Pre-Release Games on a modded Firmware. Regardless, 99% of the time, you can't hack games online with a modded firmware, only a modded console, as most games have security now.

#14 Axel

Axel

--[Est. 1986]--

Posted 14 November 2012 - 13:06

Wouldn't bother me. My PS3 just sits there collecting dust playing the occasional bluray. Would love to make it do something USEFUL like run XBMC :p

#15 saltysaltybk

saltysaltybk

Neowinian

Posted 14 November 2012 - 14:27

It's a security precaution, mod your firmware and you lose access to online services to protect copyrighted material and to stop people from using cheat modded games online.

You can't seriously expect Sony to do nothing about it just because some people will use modded firmware without infringing on copyrights.

I still don't understand how modding firmware opens the door to cheaters. Unless they can reverse engineer the code on the disk, recompile, resign and run then it won't happen on consoles- and that only loosely has a connection to modded firmware as the "cheat" disk would be burned rather than pressed.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!