Interesting Review on Microsoft Surface Tablet RT

"Watch the Surface Reboxing" floating in the corner

All I needed to know to know that Chris did not approach this device with anything but contempt, then tried to spin it around later to be 'fair and balanced'.

• Like 2

"Watch the Surface Reboxing" floating in the corner

All I needed to know to know that Chris did not approach this device with anything but contempt, then tried to spin it around later to be 'fair and balanced'.

The one thing that he said that is very disturbing is the fact that the 32GB model only has 16 GB of space left for the user because the rest is being sucked by the OS. That is not right and I think its a rip-off. No wonder this lawyer is suing Microsoft over that issue:

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_21997331/lawyer-sues-microsoft-over-surface-tablet-storage

Give me the TL:DW version?

The one thing that he said that is very disturbing is the fact that the 32GB model only has 16 GB of space left for the user because the rest is being sucked by the OS.

Even I had to double take when I read that article too. 50% of space gone with the preload, that's a bit excessive, surely?

Give me the TL:DW version?

Even I had to double take when I read that article too. 50% of space gone with the preload, that's a bit excessive, surely?

Yes it is. Imagine if you buy the 16GB model. What are you going to have left? 6 gigs?...LOL...That is a rip-off and I see more law suits coming. The 50% of what you are promised for space is gone to the OS....not good.

First of all, it's full blown Windows. What did they expect? Second, I've been saying for a while now, they should have stripped out the legacy baggage. There's no reason Win RT needs to include all the legacy baggage Windows still carries.

• Like 3

First of all, it's full blown Windows. What did they expect? Second, I've been saying for a while now, they should have stripped out the legacy baggage. There's no reason Win RT needs to include all the legacy baggage Windows still carries.

Yes Dot, but do you honestly think the OS takes 16 gigs of space? I have Windows 8 on my test PC, clean, no apps, and it doesn't take 16 Gigs of space!!!!!!

There is something wrong there.

Yes Dot, but do you honestly think the OS takes 16 gigs of space? I have Windows 8 on my test PC, clean, no apps, and it doesn't take 16 Gigs of space!!!!!!

There is something wrong there.

It does come with Office installed.

I already have 60 GB easily taken up space on my Windows 8 installation with only a handful of apps installed.

...and Office takes a gig, and the recovery partition takes a few gigs. Was I the only one that had 22 gigs free after I unboxed my surface? Anyway, Pirillo is a whiny douche. Not going to waste my time on this one.

Anyway, Pirillo is a whiny douche. Not going to waste my time on this one.

+ a hundred billion zillion million. :laugh:

It does come with Office installed.

I already have 60 GB easily taken up space on my Windows 8 installation with only a handful of apps installed.

Oh it has office? I must have missed that part. Well that explains it then. Still, people are going to be really ticked off that they are not getting the full 32 GB of space, or at least 80% of it. That probably explains why MS put an SD card slot on it for expansion.

By the way, did you see the prices for Skydrive expanded storage? Not bad at all. Compared to Apple. I got an extra 100GB of space for $50.00 a year. Apple wanted $100.00 for just 50GB of extra space and it doesn't have half the neat features that Skydrive does.

Wow, for the first time I have to say.... He is right.... And I wish it could have been good, the hardware is simply awesome, but WinRT.... Or maybe it's the Tegra 3 that is starting to feel slow? And Office 2013 DESKTOP inside a tablet, it's nice but pointless with a finger, you really need the keyboard to use it and navigate the interface.

And Surface Pro will not be $500... So it better be a GREAT tablet and a good laptop replacement for the price they are going to ask...

Yes it is. Imagine if you buy the 16GB model. What are you going to have left? 6 gigs?...LOL...That is a rip-off and I see more law suits coming. The 50% of what you are promised for space is gone to the OS....not good.

There is no 16GB model. They entry level model is 32GB.

There is no 16GB model. They entry level model is 32GB.

I know there isn't a 16GB model. I was just using that as an example (like what if there was) then you would be screwed with it. Just an example.

acr7KqCf.jpg%20

acr7KqCf.jpg%20

You do realise that the word exists outside of your country? And not all countries have super high speed internet where cloud storage is even an option?

Oh it has office? I must have missed that part. Well that explains it then. Still, people are going to be really ticked off that they are not getting the full 32 GB of space, or at least 80% of it. That probably explains why MS put an SD card slot on it for expansion.

Yes, and it's a bit of an oddity... Because that space is going to be needed for updates. I saw this problem coming a mile away.

You do realise that the word exists outside of your country? And not all countries have super high speed internet where cloud storage is even an option?

Dude I understand that, believe me, I do, but these companies do not seem to understand it. Apple, Amazon, Samsung and now Microsoft. Everybody wants to use the damn Cloud for everything and they think that every country in the world, that every nation and everyone in the world has high speed internet or any internet at all and they are wrong. There are countries where Dial-up is still being used because there is no high speed internet access, so yes I do understand you, but unfortunately, these companies that make these tablets do not.

I agree with some points, disagree with others. Chris is an interesting character, some people may like that quality about him - I'm not one of those people. I find the points that mattered were quickly glazed over and the points that didn't matter (but were inherently negative) were talked about extensively. This does seem to border a bit on: "I didn't want to like it to begin with".

I'll stick with my Android tablet for the time being though as it's difficult to get a review of the Surface RT that I find has any merit at all. Maybe I'm just being biased and I'm waiting for the excuse to like it, and that excuse is never going to come.

I agree with Chris on letting users on an RT tablet access the desktop. From the MOMENT I heard they were going to let users do that on the ARM version of windows I said it was a HORRIBLE idea!!!

I agree with Chris on letting users on an RT tablet access the desktop. From the MOMENT I heard they were going to let users do that on the ARM version of windows I said it was a HORRIBLE idea!!!

You do know that Chris bought his Surface without a touch or type cover.

You do know that Chris bought the Surface without a touch or type cover.

I don't think that matters. it's an ARM based version of Windows. None of your regular apps run in on the windows 8 ARM desktop (Except office and whatever other regular windows apps it has). I just think the arm tablet should stay 100% Modern UI. When you drop back to the desktop on the ARM tablet it just looks TACKY!

I don't think that matters. it's an ARM based version of Windows. None of your regular apps run in on the windows 8 ARM desktop (Except office and whatever other regular windows apps it has). I just think the arm tablet should stay 100% Modern UI. When you drop back to the desktop on the ARM tablet it just looks TACKY!

Why does it look tacky on ARM and not on x86?

My belief btw is Microsoft will eventually extend the WinRT API to desktop apps too, and those apps will be portable between ARM and x86.