surface rt

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

• Phone: Galaxy Note 2

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:54

There is no 16GB model. They entry level model is 32GB.

I know there isn't a 16GB model. I was just using that as an example (like what if there was) then you would be screwed with it. Just an example.

#17 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:09

Posted Image

Posted Image

You do realise that the word exists outside of your country? And not all countries have super high speed internet where cloud storage is even an option?

#18 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:13

Oh it has office? I must have missed that part. Well that explains it then. Still, people are going to be really ticked off that they are not getting the full 32 GB of space, or at least 80% of it. That probably explains why MS put an SD card slot on it for expansion.

Yes, and it's a bit of an oddity... Because that space is going to be needed for updates. I saw this problem coming a mile away.

#19 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:31

You do realise that the word exists outside of your country? And not all countries have super high speed internet where cloud storage is even an option?

Dude I understand that, believe me, I do, but these companies do not seem to understand it. Apple, Amazon, Samsung and now Microsoft. Everybody wants to use the damn Cloud for everything and they think that every country in the world, that every nation and everyone in the world has high speed internet or any internet at all and they are wrong. There are countries where Dial-up is still being used because there is no high speed internet access, so yes I do understand you, but unfortunately, these companies that make these tablets do not.

#20 +astropheed

astropheed

Neowinian

• OS: W7, SLES(D)11, VMware, NW6, XP, Mint, Ubuntu11 and sometimes Redhat
  • Phone: Note 3

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:00

I agree with some points, disagree with others. Chris is an interesting character, some people may like that quality about him - I'm not one of those people. I find the points that mattered were quickly glazed over and the points that didn't matter (but were inherently negative) were talked about extensively. This does seem to border a bit on: "I didn't want to like it to begin with".

I'll stick with my Android tablet for the time being though as it's difficult to get a review of the Surface RT that I find has any merit at all. Maybe I'm just being biased and I'm waiting for the excuse to like it, and that excuse is never going to come.

#21 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:30

I agree with Chris on letting users on an RT tablet access the desktop. From the MOMENT I heard they were going to let users do that on the ARM version of windows I said it was a HORRIBLE idea!!!

#22 neo158

neo158

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:32

I agree with Chris on letting users on an RT tablet access the desktop. From the MOMENT I heard they were going to let users do that on the ARM version of windows I said it was a HORRIBLE idea!!!

You do know that Chris bought his Surface without a touch or type cover.

#23 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34

You do know that Chris bought the Surface without a touch or type cover.

I don't think that matters. it's an ARM based version of Windows. None of your regular apps run in on the windows 8 ARM desktop (Except office and whatever other regular windows apps it has). I just think the arm tablet should stay 100% Modern UI. When you drop back to the desktop on the ARM tablet it just looks TACKY!

#24 brianshapiro

brianshapiro

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:33

I don't think that matters. it's an ARM based version of Windows. None of your regular apps run in on the windows 8 ARM desktop (Except office and whatever other regular windows apps it has). I just think the arm tablet should stay 100% Modern UI. When you drop back to the desktop on the ARM tablet it just looks TACKY!

Why does it look tacky on ARM and not on x86?

My belief btw is Microsoft will eventually extend the WinRT API to desktop apps too, and those apps will be portable between ARM and x86.

#25 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:26

Tegra 4 which is to be unveiled in a few months will have twice the power of Tegra 3, if they Use that and at least a 1080p screen I plan go get a Surface 2

#26 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 15:22

I find chris annoying. His 'review' was pathetic and opinion of the surface thereafter, misleading. He never gave it a chance or used it for what it can do. Windows RT, Office, preinstalled apps, and the recovery partition taking up half of the capacity is crappy and maybe a shocker at first but when you think about it, it is to be expected. You can remove the recovery partition and put it on a usb to free up some space.

this is just one video out of many out there that shows what surface can do that no other tablet can.

#27 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 15 November 2012 - 15:25

I find chris annoying. His 'review' was pathetic and opinion of the surface thereafter, misleading. He never gave it a chance or used it for what it can do. Windows RT, Office, preinstalled apps, and the recovery partition taking up half of the capacity is crappy and maybe a shocker at first but when you think about it, it is to be expected. You can remove the recovery partition and put it on a usb to free up some space.

this is just one video out of many out there that shows what surface can do that no other tablet can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsq4QFsdaLI

Nice.

#28 +TruckWEB

TruckWEB

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 November 2012 - 20:55

No other tablet can do that? Ahhh... You can use a PS3 gamepad with an Android tablet and output the result using HDMI out to your projector & receiver...

#29 OP Scorbing

Scorbing

Halo Master

Posted 15 November 2012 - 20:56

No other tablet can do that? Ahhh... You can use a PS3 gamepad with an Android tablet and output the result using HDMI out to your projector & receiver...

Very, very true.

#30 linsook

linsook

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:33

hmmm true true but the surface can extend your monitor not just clone it. so uhhh while he was playing riptide on the projector he could have had a movie running on the surface... or whatever he wanted.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!