• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 j0nnymoe

j0nnymoe

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:32

Morning,

This has been bugging me for a while and can't seem to be able to find what I need on google, so time to see what the neowin users bring me :p

Currently looking for a plugin/addin for Outlook 2003/2007/2010 that will notice when an archive has been run then automatic copy the archive.pst file to the backup location on the network.

any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

#2 the better twin

the better twin

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:40

Why not store the archive on the network in the first place?

#3 OP j0nnymoe

j0nnymoe

Neowinian

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:44

Problem I got is, I'm sure that will cause alot of traffic on the network first thing in the morning when everyone is logging on. Was hoping to have it -somewhat- automated, so that one the archive has run on a PC, outlook would then copy the pst to a location on the network but get this set so say over a week it would be 10 users per day.

#4 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:44

Why not store the archive on the network in the first place?

That thought crossed my mind as well, then I realised that if he did that it wouldn't be a backup.

#5 jordanspringer

jordanspringer

Springster

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:49

Write a small script that copies the pst to the network location, and create a scheduled task to run this script once every night at 3am for example. You can assign your logon credentials to the task so you don't even need to be logged in for the script to run every night.

#6 OP j0nnymoe

j0nnymoe

Neowinian

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:00

That I could, I did try using an app that would monitor the folder for files that have changed, then copy the changed file over. Only problem with that was outlook would edit the file every couple of minutes.
Can't really run it at night though, I guess there could be a script that runs at say 6pm then shuts down each PC when the transfer has finished.