• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:17

Microsoft has a handy little tool one the surface that allows you to move the recovery partition to a usb drive. During the process it will prompt if you want to delete the partition and recover the space. Worked great and took about 10 minutes!

http://www.andyrathb...oft-surface-rt/

#2 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:09

Freed up 4gb and i'm happy! I did a test boot off the USB drive to verify all is well and just keep the USB stick in the Surface box if I ever need it. MS should definitely post that this functionality is built into the recovery system and completely wizard driven. 4gb is a lot of space to free up and USB sticks are CHEAP.. should just throw in a USB recovery stick in lieu of recovery partition if you ask me :)

#3 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:12

Nice tip. I don't need the space, but why not?!? 4GB is 4GB. Better the USB than your surface local storage.

#4 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:14

Nice! Thanks for posting.

#5 ~Johnny

~Johnny

Earthling

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:16

Nice tip. I don't need the space, but why not?!? 4GB is 4GB. Better the USB than your surface local storage.

Presumably in the worst case scenario when you're out and about or on a trip and your Surface starts failing to boot - but you can't fix it because you've wiped the recovery partition and left your recovery USB drive at home :p If you have the space to spare, leaving it on there is probably the better option. But if you need the space, it's always a nice option.

#6 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:31

Presumably in the worst case scenario when you're out and about or on a trip and your Surface starts failing to boot - but you can't fix it because you've wiped the recovery partition and left your recovery USB drive at home :p If you have the space to spare, leaving it on there is probably the better option. But if you need the space, it's always a nice option.

If I travel, i'll just bring the usb stick with me.. but I'm often not that far from a MS store where I would make them fix it :)

#7 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:46

From the look of the contents of the stick, it appears to be a clean install, would that be safe to assume? Verses it making a backup copy of your system as it is now when you create the the recovery to USB

#8 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2012 - 16:29

From the look of the contents of the stick, it appears to be a clean install, would that be safe to assume? Verses it making a backup copy of your system as it is now when you create the the recovery to USB

Makes sense because the recovery partition doesnt hold a backup of your current config and the recovery partition would wipe everything back to default if you had to use it for a restore.

#9 OP spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 November 2012 - 16:39

yes, recovery is full wipe when you boot off this recovery media. Most games store their saves on xbox live and most apps use skydrive profiles/saves so when you re-install its not hard to recover.