Photo

Problems with Lumia 920

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:52

I have had my Lumia 920 for almost a week now, and I love it, but 2 things are scaring me. The screen seems to scratch really easy on mine, so I guess a screen protector will be needed which I never needed on my LG Quantum. The phone also gets very hot and burns through battery quickly while I am at work. I hope the battery thing gets fixed with an update, however I guess the screen scratching thing I will just have to deal with.

#2 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

Posted 16 November 2012 - 14:57

You are scratching Gorilla Glass 2?
You sure you are using it with your hands? :p

#3 OP Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:03

Its scratching while in my pocket. My cheap old LG Quantum survived the same pocket for a year and a half and only got 1 little scratch. This phone has way more scratches on the screen already. Same pockets with nothing special in them.

#4 spudtrooper

spudtrooper

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 920

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:07

No scratches here.. The heat can be a problem.. try disabling NFC radio and also turn off any apps in background that you don't use. I do expect we will see some updates to address battery/heat.

What else do you keep in your pocket with your phone?

#5 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:07

Edward scissor hands.

Can you return it? Gorilla glass shouldn't scratch easily, as a test, try doing so with a coin yourself (gorilla glass is harder than the coin, so it shouldn't scratch)

#6 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:09

Its scratching while in my pocket. My cheap old LG Quantum survived the same pocket for a year and a half and only got 1 little scratch. This phone has way more scratches on the screen already. Same pockets with nothing special in them.

I keep mine in my pocket and I don't have a scratch on it. Not sure how you are getting scratches on yours.... I do have the battery problem, but if I feel it getting warm, I reboot it and it seems to fix it. Some have said if you turn NFC off, that will fix the issue.

#7 OP Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2012 - 15:52

NFC is off and all I have in my pocket is a soft plastic I'd holder and maybe a couple sheets of neatly folded paper. Nothing that should cause scratches.

#8 Kane

Kane

Posted 16 November 2012 - 16:09

From what this video shows, scratching shouldn't be very easy with this phone. Can you take a picture, OP?

#9 daniel_rh

daniel_rh

Daniel R. H.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIV i9500

Posted 16 November 2012 - 16:16

The simpliest thing that can scratch a Gorilla Glass is dust, make sure your pocket is clean enough... Keys no problem, knife no problem... dust, can be a problem

#10 OP Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2012 - 17:38

I saw the video you posted on WPCentral the other day. Didn't really make me feel better, since my phone hasn't taken anywhere near that kind of abuse, yet has scratches. I'm trying to find a great technique for taking pictures of scratches on a highly reflective surface. It's not as easy as I thought it would be.

#11 Kalint

Kalint

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 November 2012 - 17:47

Better question, are you sure you bought a 920?

#12 OP Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 16 November 2012 - 18:04

DSCN1727.JPG
Yes I am sure I bought a Nokia Lumia 920 in white from AT&T
The dust argument would make sense if I didn't have a different phone in the same pockets for a year and a half with gorilla glass that didn't get scratched the same way.

#13 OP Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:21

Not sure if my image posted in an easy to see way yesterday, so I am going to try again. Neowin should make putting pictures up easier.
Posted Image

#14 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:32

Sounds like you need Posted Image for your pockets.

#15 OP Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez

Neowinian

Posted 17 November 2012 - 15:40

Technically, I would expect scratches on my screen if I went jogging with my phone in a box of thumbtacks and sandpaper, but, not in my pockets. I'm thinking this may be a flaw in the glass possibly related to the heating up/battery issue. I am trying to find out if gorilla glass 2 scratches easily when it is hot/warm.