Getting toast out with a knife or fork, Dangerous?

Ok,

Its Friday afternoon and im kinda bored so i was watching some weird Ozzie ad i saw on reddit about dumb ways to die. One of them mentioned was getting your toast out with a fork.

So i got to wondering just how bad it is?

Now, I appreciate that when the toast is cooking and the elements are on that this would be a very dumb idea, so we can just assume that if you do that then you deserve what you get.

However, most folks fish out their toast with a fork or a knife (which we'll assume is all metal) AFTER the cooking is done and the element is off, then, is it so bad, is there still a risk?

Also, we'll assume here were all too lazy to turn off or pull out the plug.

Any electricians or accidental self shockers out there who can testify?

It "can" happen, a toaster works by sending an electric current through metal coils which heat up. It "could" still send a current while it's off, if the wiring is done incorrectly.

That said, it's pretty unlikely. Personally I just jiggle the toaster until the toast pops out.

If it's plugged in, but not turned on, there is a very low chance of getting shocked. If you do, the toaster is faulty. If it's on, then yeah it's really really easy to get shocked. The current coming out of a wall socket will vary rarely kill somebody, unless they are really unlucky. Your skin is thick enough to protect you from that.

My toaster has a popup feature. It raises the highest of the toast so you can easily grab it with your fingers.

But resulting with the old method I sometimes still use a fork to pierce the toast with a knife.

Just keep in mind that electricity is 'invisible'...its not the volts that generally kill people..its the amperage (voltage burns...amperage kills). 0.5 amps is enough to stop a heart...most US house circuits are on 15/20 amp breakers. There is always the possiblity of a defective 'element' that doesn't glow because its lack of voltage...but does complete a circuit that could still carry 'amperage'. The only way to safely ensure it doesn't have current is to 'unplug' it from its source.

The most general part of electricity is it takes the least path of resistance to ground...if your not grounded you're pretty much just going to get 'high dose of tingle.. :laugh: )...but if your hand is energized and your foot is grounded...you might end up with a hole in your foot or blownout toes.

Do what I do. Drop the lever just before it locks down, then slingshot it up. Toast comes flying in the air, then catch it in mid-air. :)

I do that as well.

"Most people" use a knife or fork to get toast out of their toasters? What kind of crappy toasters do you guys have that requires that?

Indeed. That's an odd thing to have said...since most people I know don't do that.

Do what I do. Drop the lever just before it locks down, then slingshot it up. Toast comes flying in the air, then catch it in mid-air. :)

I'm not that coordinated. :D

"Most people" use a knife or fork to get toast out of their toasters? What kind of crappy toasters do you guys have that requires that?

Yep, can't say the thought has ever even crossed my mind...

yeah :s

I do it all the time if I use thick bread. Happens more often then not. Just unplug it if your scared.

I'm not that coordinated. :D

You don't have to be :)

Just grab the plate you plan to put the toast on. Pop it up...and quickly slide the plate forward. The toast will land on it. ;)

unpluging it would remove the risk of electricution.

even if the toast has sprung up, most toasters heat element is activated by the mechanism being pushed down into a certain position.

Now, getting toast out with a knife would mean that the toast is stuck, so the mechanism would still be movable, so in the worst case that the toasters mechanism was right down and you put in something metal to take it out you could push it down enough for it to power the heating elements on.

being a heating element it will be a resistor of electricity, so when you put in a knife which will be a much better conductor of electricity, if YOUR grounded you will probably get shocked pretty bad, enough to kill.

ha haaa memories...i haven't gotten shocked yet doing that...although it's been a few years since i've eaten toast...this is coming from a guy who used to stick copper pipe in the light socket and pull the cord. Thank you for the memories OP! have fun with that toaster!!!! :):)

Funny I just did this as well this morning toasting English muffins...never thought about the shock thing, but don't care for getting burned either...decisions, decisions. :laugh:

Every toaster I've ever seen pops the bread up a little at the end so it's reachable. Then again, I have long nails too and I usually use those to grab it, now that I think of it.

shake it out into your mouff and if it lands on teh floor kick the toast under he fridge along with the ice cubes.

All toasters I have used allow you to pull the handle up a little more than resting position pushing the bread or toast up a bit higher.

just unplug it and rock and roll!

The only way to safely ensure it doesn't have current is to 'unplug' it from its source.

Happens more often then not. Just unplug it if your scared.

At least a few people here have common sense.

I lived with a crazy girl for a few weeks, she was a friend, but after about 3 days of living there I became the babysitter :/

Anyhoo.... one day I was not the babysitter, her and her mother were looking after her 2 yr old daughter, I walked into the kitchen to get a drink, and up on a chair, with a completely metal butter knife, was her daughter stabbing the elements of a hot / live toaster !

I think I still have damaged ligaments from the speed I moved to grab her arm from the next 240v swipe, took her in to her mother and said what I caught her doing, the most I got was a raised eyebrow...

I left not long after

I have a toaster with a rack... I wouldn't touch the rack with my hand because it's hot when it is in use. I use the fork to slide the toasts out of the rack and onto the plate. I used to have a pop-up toaster a long time ago so I don't have it anymore...

I haven't gotten shocked by it since I use it.

Or you can make toasts by using your big oven which it's easy to reach.