Car Registration Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:26

Ok, I moved to a different state and need to register my car in the state I am now living in. Problem is, I refinanced my car and cannot find the current paperwork proving ownership. Since I am still making payments, I do not have the title. I do however have the paperwork from when I bought the car at the dealership.

If I give them the old paperwork, are they going to call at the DMV to make sure it is current/correct? Or will I be fine using that as proof of ownership?

EDIT: I do legally own the car. I have the original bill of sale from the dealership, just not paperwork from when I refinanced it thru a credit union.

#2 Nashy

Nashy

Neowinian Senior

• 9,016 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 - SM-G900i

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:36

Wouldn't this depend on the state of rego?

#3 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:38

Wouldn't this depend on the state of rego?

Well, I am living in Illinois ATM, and when I called the DMV they said since I am making payments to a lienholder, I need that paperwork to prove ownership. I dont have that but have the original bill of sale. I just am curious if they call and verify the paperwork or if the original bill of sale will be enough to prove ownership.

#4 Simon-

Simon-

Neowinian Senior

• 10,724 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:49

Call your car finance company?

#5 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• 12,652 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:57

They will more thank likely call the lien-holder for verification.

#6 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:01

I need to register the car tomorrow and no time to send paperwork. If they may call the lien holder, then maybe they can verify over the phone? Like I said, I have my original bill of sale from the dealership, but no paperwork stating who I am financing the car thru. If all they need is proof of ownership,wouldnt hte bill of sale be enough?

#7 Xilo

Xilo

Neowinian Senior

• 5,323 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:26

Couldn't you just bring in the latest car payment bill? Surely that would prove you're the legal owner...

#8 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:36

Couldn't you just bring in the latest car payment bill? Surely that would prove you're the legal owner...

I dont get them mailed to me.

#9 OP +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 18,482 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 16:10

Yea, need either a copy of the title or the loan agreement. Luckily, I found the loan agreement. Things are kind of scattered after the move so was hard to track down.