Photo

When was the last time you bought glasses?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,395 posts
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:45

I bought mine at the beginning of the month. Before that, it was 2007. I believe you're supposed to get your eyes checked once every 2 years. I haven't had mine checked in 5 years and my prescription has changed.

Anyway, my new glasses drastically improved my vision. It improved it so much that I'm noticing things I never used to notice like small details in my furniture. And the colour variations in the leaves outside. It also made it much easier to read text on my monitor. My old glasses did a decent job at correcting my vision but compared to my new ones, it feels like my vision was highly impaired.

I ordered my glasses online from SmartBuyGlasses.ca. This is the exact model I bought: Burberry BE2086

Posted Image

The reason I bought glasses online is the price. I found that glasses are much cheaper online than they are at places like LensCrafters or Hakim Optical. For example, the glasses I bought would have costed me $225 CAD (excluding the price of the lens and coating). My total with the price of the lenses and coating came up to $215 CAD. Not bad for designer eye-wear.

So, when was the last time you bought glasses?

#2 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:56

A year and a half ago. I got a cheap pair just to wear at home since I wear contact lenses whenever I go out.

#3 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:57

Never
:shiftyninja:

#4 scaramonga

scaramonga

ME!

• 2,462 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:02

Stole them from the pub last night :)

#5 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• 3,790 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:04

About 9 years ago, but then I got LASIK :p

#6 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• 2,695 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:11

I've never even had an eye test, but I definitely know I need glasses. I've tried some friends glasses and wow, what an improvement.
I've missed 2 appointments at Walmart for an eye test, but I already have the frames picked out there that I want. Just gotta get around to the test.
It's really frustrating for me especially when it comes to typing and reading on computer, since I'm actually sitting on my couch around 15 feet from my 47 inch tv.
Text is so blurry I strain to view it and it drives me nuts. Sometimes I get headaches from straining to hard to read.

#7 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,395 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:28

A year and a half ago. I got a cheap pair just to wear at home since I wear contact lenses whenever I go out.

I considered contact lenses but I know I'd get tired of having to put them on when I get up and take them off at night.

Are you serious? :laugh:

About 9 years ago, but then I got LASIK :p

I don't think I'll ever get LASIK eye surgery because of the price and potential side effects. When did you get the surgery done? And did you have any complications?

I've never even had an eye test, but I definitely know I need glasses. I've tried some friends glasses and wow, what an improvement.
I've missed 2 appointments at Walmart for an eye test, but I already have the frames picked out there that I want. Just gotta get around to the test.
It's really frustrating for me especially when it comes to typing and reading on computer, since I'm actually sitting on my couch around 15 feet from my 47 inch tv.
Text is so blurry I strain to view it and it drives me nuts. Sometimes I get headaches from straining to hard to read.

The sooner you get glasses, the better. Straining your eyes like that isn't good. What's stopping you from getting your eyes checked? A standard eye exam shouldn't last longer than 15 minutes. The worst part of an eye exam, in my opinion, is the corneal reflex test. And it's not even that bad. They'll either blow air onto your eyes or touch it with something.

Your eyes will feel more relaxed when your vision is corrected. Everything will look so much more sharper and detailed. I used to not wear my glasses whenever I went out and I didn't get any headaches from reading street signs (while walking) or reading a menu at a restaurant. My new glasses made me realize how bad my vision was to begin with. The difference is so noticeable that it's unpleasant. And my prescription (to correct nearsightedness [myopia]) isn't even that strong.

#8 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:35

scaramonga, on 18 November 2012 - 09:02, said:

Anaron
Are you serious? :laugh:

I presume that he is referring to the fact that "glasses" are things you drink out of and "spectacles" are what you put on your face!

#9 vetsanctified

sanctified

Your order is meaningless. My chaos is significant.

• 21,068 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:41

Those burberry ones look great.

#10 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• 3,790 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:54

I don't think I'll ever get LASIK eye surgery because of the price and potential side effects. When did you get the surgery done? And did you have any complications?

I had it done in late 2004 when I was 19. I had no complications, and in fact, my sister had it done a few months before me and my father had it done at the same time as me and all of them went great with no problems. The technology has come a long way since then, too. No more slicing your cornea with a blade, it's all done with a laser now which significantly reduces healing time and risk.

I will say that one of my eyes is getting a little blurry again and I may end up getting another surgery next year. The way I see it, even if it only lasts 9-10 years (which it shouldn't), the cost overall will be less than 10 years of eye exams, glasses, and contacts. Not to mention what it's worth being able to wake up and see the clock :)

#11 OP Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• 21,395 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:18

I presume that he is referring to the fact that "glasses" are things you drink out of and "spectacles" are what you put on your face!

Ah, I see. No one says "spectacles" in North America. It's glasses or eye-wear. :p

Those burberry ones look great.

Thanks! It's the first designer frame I looked at and it was love at first sight. My last glasses were semi-rimless so I wanted to get a full-rimmed one to change up my style. It looks great on people with oval-shaped faces (like me).

I had it done in late 2004 when I was 19. I had no complications, and in fact, my sister had it done a few months before me and my father had it done at the same time as me and all of them went great with no problems. The technology has come a long way since then, too. No more slicing your cornea with a blade, it's all done with a laser now which significantly reduces healing time and risk.

I will say that one of my eyes is getting a little blurry again and I may end up getting another surgery next year. The way I see it, even if it only lasts 9-10 years (which it shouldn't), the cost overall will be less than 10 years of eye exams, glasses, and contacts. Not to mention what it's worth being able to wake up and see the clock :)

It's tempting when you put it that way. But it's way out of my price range at the moment. I'll consider it the next time I need to get glasses.

#12 Farstrider

Farstrider

The Clash

• 6,311 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:53

Ah, I see. No one says "spectacles" in North America. It's glasses or eye-wear. :p

All good, glad to hear that the new "pair" are doing their thing, it makes such a difference when you don't have to battle to see what you are doing! :) I wear reading "glasses" :D and absolutely cannot live without them.

#13 peacemf

peacemf

T Fizz - now with more bubbles!

• 2,888 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:57

about 2 years ago.

#14 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• 15,864 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:39

? month ago, though fashion sunglasses :p went to the ophthalmologist and said that only buy prescription glasses if I had headaches or had to squint really hard, since I've only .15 on both eyes of myopia and astigmatism(Sp?)

#15 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

• 8,369 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 17:41

Didn't buy them, but got a pair on the NHS about 5 years back, seems my eyes get tired toward the end of the day like me, tv gets blurry