Photo

Downgrading from windows 8 to xp or 7?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:52

ok i know it is religious sacrilege and total blasphemy to talk about using windows xp on neowin and most who talk this way are nailed and burnetalive on the neowin cross. but i'm curious if anyone was in two mind between windows 7 and windows xp and on the release of windows 8 have finally decided whether to be on xp or 7?

i've found going back to xp better since there were some sleep problems, graphics issues and slow network performance some bsods.. which resolve easily with xp. win7 requires some tweaks.

win8 had the same issues as win7 except it didnt allow system wide disabling of cleartype and additional ads and a half baked metro ui.

so question is when going back from win 8 whath did you prefer 7 or xp?

#2 thekim

thekim

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:55

tell us somethings about your hardware.

#3 OP slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:03

tell us somethings about your hardware.

q6600 g45id 8gb ram 1 tb hdd dell u2410 dual server ethernet intel card

#4 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:04

ok i know it is religious sacrilege and total blasphemy to talk about using windows xp on neowin and most who talk this way are nailed and burnetalive on the neowin cross. but i'm curious if anyone was in two mind between windows 7 and windows xp and on the release of windows 8 have finally decided whether to be on xp or 7?

i've found going back to xp better since there were some sleep problems, graphics issues and slow network performance some bsods.. which resolve easily with xp. win7 requires some tweaks.

win8 had the same issues as win7 except it didnt allow system wide disabling of cleartype and additional ads and a half baked metro ui.

so question is when going back from win 8 whath did you prefer 7 or xp?

What tweaks was needed in windows 7 windows 7 works great out of the box and is far better then XP ever could be and as for windows 8 it is faster yet so i dont see what issue your having and why you want to go back to windows XP since well umm it is no longer really supported and is over 10 years old about now so yea

#5 OP slumdogtrillionaire

slumdogtrillionaire

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:07

What tweaks was needed in windows 7 windows 7 works great out of the box and is far better then XP ever could be and as for windows 8 it is faster yet so i dont see what issue your having and why you want to go back to windows XP since well umm it is no longer really supported and is over 10 years old about now so yea

sigh..

#6 paulheu

paulheu

StartMenu is dead..

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:14

That's pretty generic hardware. From what you describe it sounds more like you are having some sort of hardware issue not caught by XP (and therefore a hidden problem waiting to jump you when you least expect it).

I'd have a good look at the hardware, clean off and re-apply thermal past on the CPU and check RAM and GFX card for errors. I have found over the years these are the usual suspects for the exact symptoms you are describing and doubt very much it has anything to do with which OS your are running.

#7 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:19

A straight answer to your question is, I prefer Windows 7 any day over XP, but contrary to what most say on here about XP, is it's still an awesome OS and STILL supported for 2 more years!

If your stuff works perfectly with XP, reinstall it and enjoy!! :)

#8 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:24

if i had to go back it would be windows 7 i cant stand xp, but i have no problems with 8 so im all good not going back

#9 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:45

How are you going to use 8 GB of RAM with Windows XP?

sigh..

sigh? No bro, I sigh when I see that you have 8 GB of memory, and you think you're going to be able to use it in an operating system that's now 11 years old. sigh...

#10 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:56

This will require two Advil....

Your machine would be wasted with XP. Support for XP is gone, and will be dead in a year. You would be now three releases behind, and will not be able to take advantage of new software.

Let XP die in peace. Pull the cord.

#11 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:57

I preferred classic shell myself, I had absolutely zero issues with 8, some issues with 7, and a complete lack of success with Windows XP.

#12 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 18 November 2012 - 13:06

Although Windows XP was an awesome operating system, and I absolutely loved it, I don't see why you'd choose it or even consider it, over Windows 7.
Also, I wouldn't class going from Windows 8 to Windows 7 as "downgrading", IMO it'd be upgrading.
I know if I wasn't using something brand new already and needed to go out and buy a new computer, and I had to buy one with Windows 8 on it, I'd be reformatting and installing Windows 7 for sure.

#13 syobon999

syobon999

Neowinian

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:04

I known how you feel, XP is indeed good enough, if wasn't for the lack of a decent 64 bit version I would still be using it today.
So I will recommend what I'm using right now, Windows 7 x64 bits, it has the 'XP feel' somehow I think it will be the new XP in this decade.

#14 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:09

XP will not utilize all 8 gigs of your ram...it will use 3 if you are lucky. This is because XP is an x86 OS. Go with Windows 7.

#15 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 18 November 2012 - 23:11

Windows 7, 64 bit.

And if you need XP - install XP Mode.* It's free! :)