I'm about to get my first real internet connection out here woo!

Moving from 3g that averages about 1mbit but is unlimited (and good enough for some gaming) to 5mbit DSL (from a rural provider so I'm only hoping the actual speeds will be decent.)

Should be this week.

I'd cross my fingers, but that'd probably just make it worse ;)

They said I couldn't use my DSL modem for whatever reason, I'm hoping they're full of ****. ISP provided equipment is generally trash.

ISP equipment in my dealings has always been pretty good, simply because they do their research and put something out that is reliable. They don't wan't to have to send a truck out to every customer all the time because they went with some cheap modem/router. The problem with ISP equipment is being locked out of controlling the routing functions. Just ask them to put the modem into bridge mode, and then you an use your own router to control everything else.

Good for you. I remember I was on 1mb connection back in 2001. A few years later upgraded to 12mb and the upgrade was a bliss.

ISP didn't need to replace my modem, though (maybe because I always stuck to Internet through cable and not phone line). The only time the ISP replaced my modem, was when I moved to 100mbit connection two years ago.

ISP equipment in my dealings has always been pretty good, simply because they do their research and put something out that is reliable. They don't wan't to have to send a truck out to every customer all the time because they went with some cheap modem/router. The problem with ISP equipment is being locked out of controlling the routing functions. Just ask them to put the modem into bridge mode, and then you an use your own router to control everything else.

They said I'd have to use my own router. Which is cool, I already have a RT-N56U for the task.

Or a DGL-4500, but that's old kit.

Well OP's gonna go DL happy soon! :) enjoy your freedom

hell yeah I already have ten things scheduled to get right away and probably another ten if I still have space (only SSDs in this box.)

Hah I don't need to schedule that!

Much of it is recent sale/new game purchases I just haven't been arsed to download lately knowing this was coming (or just picked up in one case) (Dungeon Defenders, Orcs Must Die 2, Aliens vs Predator, Sonic Adventure 2)

Various reasons on other things, either friends have been playing/want to play or just a pain in the arse to get downloaded or patched or whatever (Battlefield 3, Mirror's Edge, Splinter Cell: Conviction, Gotham City Impostors and more)

Slightly OT but not really, and no offense at all to the OP, but this is why when people talk about the convergence of everything going fully digital like consoles with games, etc., I say we have a long way to go until that happens. As evident due to where the OP's member profile says he is from, the US does not have anywhere near the infrastructure it needs to make such a move.

Back OT, congrats for sure. It is quite a difference how you do things. Enjoy. :yes:

It may not be the best in the universe... 2321297357.png ...but see above for why it's fan freaking tastic!

Congratulations. I'm still waiting for my first real internet connection.

I feel for ya man. I've been waiting for this so long I've spent hundreds on antennas and signal boosters for my unlimited 3g **** just to make it passable for general use...blah