Laptop Recommendation £300 max

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:09

Hello Everyone,

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for our daughter for christmas, we are looking at spending around £300.

She will be using the laptop for the usual things, Office, Internet, Homework that kind of thing.

I had found this laptop - http://www.pcworld.c...056517-pdt.html but i notice that ASUS are not offering any downgrade options from Windows 8 to Windows 7, i am concerned that it will be very different from what she is using at school etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations or some advice on what i could go for?

Thanks
Rich

#2 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:12

Hello Everyone,

I have been tasked with getting a laptop for our daughter for christmas, we are looking at spending around £300.

She will be using the laptop for the usual things, Office, Internet, Homework that kind of thing.

I had found this laptop - http://www.pcworld.c...056517-pdt.html but i notice that ASUS are not offering any downgrade options from Windows 8 to Windows 7, i am concerned that it will be very different from what she is using at school etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations or some advice on what i could go for?

Thanks
Rich

If you install start8 ($5) on win8 it will literally be the same as windows 7 and to what she will probably have at school, start8 disables the hot corners and can boot directly to the desktop, hiding completely the start screen.

#3 OP Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:15

If you install start8 ($5) on win8 it will literally be the same as windows 7 and to what she will probably have at school, start8 disables the hot corners and can boot directly to the desktop, hiding completely the start screen.

Well that is interesting, i didn't even know that such a product existed. This could most definitely be a deal sealer.

#4 Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:16

Sorry i can't help but i'm just replying in this as i'd like to know the same too. I'm thinking of buying a laptop too while Win7 is still being sold on laptops, because i really can't stand the look of Win8.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:54

I'm pretty sure your daughter would have ZERO issues using windows 8, probably better than you ;)

#6 Javik

Javik

#GamerGate

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 18 November 2012 - 20:57

There are still quite a lot of Windows 7 laptops on the market at the moment. If you don't want to use 8 i'd advise buying in the next couple of months before OEMs begin the switchover

#7 OP Lilrich

Lilrich

Apple Fan-Boi

Posted 18 November 2012 - 21:17

This one looks pretty good - http://www.pcworld.c...056519-pdt.html Windows 8 but with that Start8 tool it could be a winner?

#8 Elliot B.

Elliot B.

Over 13 years on Neowin

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5

Posted 18 November 2012 - 21:18

A few more choices for up to £300.

#9 Technique

Technique

Technical Difficulties

Posted 19 November 2012 - 19:52

Out of interest - what brand of budget laptops would you recommend?

I remember being advised AGAINST Acer a few years ago, but we've had 2 of them & they've always been fine.