young im youngest

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#46 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:05

It's also hard being the old guy at a job too. I've had a few jobs where I walked in and everyone was at least a few years younger than me...and I had to deal with them thinking they knew better since they were younger...and had more advanced tech for a larger portion of their lives.

I told them in that case a newborn has got them beat so they might as well quit now...they were pretty confused... ;)

That said...31 currently. :)

#47 cleverclogs

cleverclogs

Neowinian

• 950 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:08

29 and recently single! oh dear!

#48 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:11

I have the worst of both. I'm 30, run my own business, and look like I'm 19....... All the time I get asked questions about being out of school so early or having this as a temp/part time job, or I get talked down to because they don't think I am who I am or that I am not old enough for them to talk to with respect. It's a curse and blessing... and damn is it annoying.

#49 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:13

I have the worst of both. I'm 30, run my own business, and look like I'm 19....... All the time I get asked questions about being out of school so early or having this as a temp/part time job, or I get talked down to because they don't think I am who I am or that I am not old enough for them to talk to with respect. It's a curse and blessing... and damn is it annoying.

That's why I generally keep my facial hair. There's a very tiny bit of 'salt' showing up...so it's enough to usually keep the questions down.

When I'm fully clean shaven with a nice haircut though...I still get carded when I drink...

#50 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:17

That's why I generally keep my facial hair. There's a very tiny bit of 'salt' showing up...so it's enough to usually keep the questions down.

When I'm fully clean shaven with a nice haircut though...I still get carded when I drink...

Same here. When I shave, I go with the grain, just so it leaves a little stubble. If I go with it, then I'm back down to like 16 years of age. My girlfriend who is 22, never gets carded for drinks, but I always do. I get carded for EVERYTHING. It's not annoying, until I was in Vegas and got carded like 6 times at the same table due to them switching dealers. I was like, " I'm ****ing sitting here with a vodka drink, already got a hand of cards.... and you are still wanting to card me?" :p
My most recent card of shame was at gamestop, when I bought Dishonored. My GF just laughed her ass off and was like, " This is the best. I can't get carded for a drink, but they won't sell you this game unless you prove your over 18, hahahahhahaha."

Oh **** that is a big picture... sorry guys :p

Attached Images

• 20121120_113212.jpg

#51 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• 8,383 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:22

I'm 25 and earlier this year I got ID'd for a 15 rated DVD. I think it was more him not having a good enough perception rather than me looking under 15. Which is ridiculous.

#52 betasp

betasp

Cooler than a polar bear's toenails...

• 2,531 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:31

My son surfs Neowin and he is 9. I don't let him post yet... :)

#53 gnuman

gnuman

Chief Website Architect

• 1,916 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:32

I've been here way too long I was just a young lad when I was here... 31 as well now.

#54 MtnDewCodeRedFreak

MtnDewCodeRedFreak

Since May 2001

• 1,967 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:37

Hell, I'm 30 now - it's still young to me.

#55 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:40

Off shoot question to this one... Who's self image is still stuck in the years just after highschool? Many friends I talk to, we all seem to agree, that our self image gets stuck at a certain point. While we are adults, we do not fully see ourselves as that "adult". It's hard to put into words, but as a kid, you see adults in a certain way. Then when you reach that age, it just seems like, while you are there, you don't look or feel the way you figured you would. It's like your self image is frozen.
I still seem to be in the early 20's of how I view myself.

#56 basques

basques

hentai otaku

• 289 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:48

I was 23 when I joined, damn, now I'm 32, bloody time, WHY YOU NO STOP???!!!!

#57 +chconline

chconline

I review, not promote.

• 13,155 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:53

I was 14 when I joined... just sayin. :p

#58 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• 6,209 posts
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:54

Turned 26 last month. Had an account since I was 18, but been lurking since I was about 16.

Damn, 10 years on Neowin. WHAT DID YOU DO TO ME?!

@Neobond/Redmak - Out of curiousity, when between launch day and today did you realise you were running a successful community and news site?

#59 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

• 2,243 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:57

Off shoot question to this one... Who's self image is still stuck in the years just after highschool? Many friends I talk to, we all seem to agree, that our self image gets stuck at a certain point. While we are adults, we do not fully see ourselves as that "adult". It's hard to put into words, but as a kid, you see adults in a certain way. Then when you reach that age, it just seems like, while you are there, you don't look or feel the way you figured you would. It's like your self image is frozen.
I still seem to be in the early 20's of how I view myself.

So it's not just me?

I've wondered for years if there wasn't something slightly wrong with me because I often don't feel like an adult at all. I just feel like me...and don't feel like I've really changed from who I was in high school...and that was over 15 years ago in my case. :p

#60 shakey

shakey

It's soooooo Educational

• 11,021 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:04

So it's not just me?

I've wondered for years if there wasn't something slightly wrong with me because I often don't feel like an adult at all. I just feel like me...and don't feel like I've really changed from who I was in high school...and that was over 15 years ago in my case. :p

Na, I think it is almost everyone. It's pretty funny I think, especially when I watch my friends with kids. All I can think is, " This is just one kid watching another." :p
It's just crazy the perception we have of others and then of our own self. Sure, we have matured, learned, and aged... ( At least some of us have :p ), but in the end, in our own mind, we are still young. I just wonder how long this last and if it ever "updates". It just blows my mind to think, Does my 80 year old grandparents still see themselves as they were when they were teenagers? Will I when I'm at that age? Will others just see me as the old guy or do they now?