Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Damo R.

movies Ang Lee on 'Hulk' failure

13 posts in this topic

Ang Lee has discussed his 2003 comic book adaptation Hulk.

The Life of Pi helmer admitted that he made mistakes in his approach to the story of Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk, which contributed to the mixed reception the film received.

"My problem is that I took the whole thing too seriously," Lee told Vulture. "I should have had more fun with it, instead of all the psychodrama!"

Lee went on to explain that he had learned a lot about CGI from Hulk, which had informed his work on the upcoming adaptation of Yann Martel's Life of Pi.

"I wouldn't have been able to do Life of Pi without [that experience]. But it's easier to create an animal, because there exists a good reference - so a tiger or a hyena is easier than a 2,000-pound rage monster.

"The hardest thing to do is the weight, not the skin, because there's no reference for something that size that is agile."

Source

Nolan went serious with Batman, but having Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman allowed room for comedic relief. I don't recall a moment of humour in Hulk.

2 people like this

Yeah Hulk was very silly, it was all over the place. But hey, it was a box office success so they can't complain. I guess it kinda paved the way for the much better Edward Norton version too.

I didn't like the movie but it wasn't a box office failure. It did better in its opening weekend than The Incredible Hulk ($62M vs. $55M).

I didn't like the movie but it wasn't a box office failure. It did better in its opening weekend than The Incredible Hulk ($62M vs. $55M).

I don't think a guy like Ang Lee evaluates his success based on box office numbers ;)

1 person likes this

I haven't enjoyed a version of the Hulk since the avengers, that version of the hulk whilst being flawed with rage still had a bit of comedy to him. Eg the wit or was it sarcasm of banner and then the hulk fighting with thor etc and then he had awesomeness too like when hes scaling the buildings, bursting through the worm.

Yeah Avengers Hulk is the best!

pgdnuyjl.gif

1 person likes this

He's absolutely right. Hulk had some very interesting choices, I liked his *idea* of filming it like a comic book panel, but in the end, it was just too serious. With that said, I'm really not a fan of The Hulk, and think he works much better as part of a cast than the focal point (Avengers)...

Hulk was a terrible film, especially given his previous and subsequent works.

As for the Avengers, it easily had the best version of Bruce Banner / The Hulk to date.

>

As for the Avengers, it easily had the best version of Bruce Banner / The Hulk to date.

Absolutely correct; it had just tue right balance of Banners attitude towards his plight, the spectacle of the big green guy smashing things to bits and humor - "Puny God!!" brought down the theater we went to.

Yep. Joss Whedon could make an awesome Hulk movie. Ang Lee just didn't get the Hulk.

Lou Ferrigno would like a word with you.

Lou Ferrigno would like a word with you.

You know Lou did the voice of the Hulk in the Avengers movie?