• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:26

I could suggest pFSense for your router/firewall. For your computer, I would use MSE

#32 sc302

sc302

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 25

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:48

I was referring to sc302. I originally just posted simply that I wouldn't discuss my setup for specific reasons.

Other folks are the ones who kept insisting on pushing it over and over again. :p

Well I am an SME on this subject. One of the first rules you're taught (if you're taught properly) is don't give out anything that isn't absolutely necessary. If there's not a practical need to share information on your setup...then avoid it at all costs.

First rule of Fight Club, we don't talk about Fight Club

or even mention it.

You mentioned that you don't give it out...you are the one who instigated a conversation on it. If you had said nothing at all, nothing would have been mentioned or commented about. You initiated a convo on being stupid, I finished it off with it having no merit to the conversation at hand and to the fact that not mentioning the marketed product you use has no bearing on security more than another product. If they are going to get in they will get in no matter what product you have in place, so you can be as secretive as you wish product has absolutely no bearing on security itself. But as a Security Expert, as you claim you are, would know this....and you would also know that security is a facade (if someone wants in bad enough they will get in, doesn't matter what you have protecting yourself).

You would be best off in that case to have a multilayered firewall, where you have a firewall on the perimeter of your network, possibly a dmz area behind that, followed by another firewall protecting your computers....possibly a third or a fourth....Perhaps layer it with different technologies, first perimerter cisco, second perimeter sonicwall, third TMG....just as an example....we can go into design as well as pitfals and configs to allow traffic to flow properly between networks in another topic (if you wanted to hit those devices on those other networks).

#33 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 21:51

or even mention it.

You mentioned that you don't give it out...you are the one who instigated a conversation on it. If you had said nothing at all, nothing would have been mentioned or commented about.

Actually someone asked me about it...to which I replied that I don't give out any details.

No worries though...you made the ignore list...congrats.

#34 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5S/Nexus 5

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:18

Well I am an SME on this subject. One of the first rules you're taught (if you're taught properly) is don't give out anything that isn't absolutely necessary. If there's not a practical need to share information on your setup...then avoid it at all costs.

For a SME on this subject and highly protective of certain information, I find it somewhat ironic that you decided to use your own name as your username. :shiftyninja:

#35 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 20 November 2012 - 22:21

For a SME on this subject and highly protective of certain information, I find it somewhat ironic that you decided to use your own name as your username. :shiftyninja:

I'm highly protective of certain information due to the attacks...the people doing the attacks already have my name :p

In fact thanks to some companies being careless with data a lot of stuff about me has been 'doxed'.

I'm careful...not paranoid...there is a difference...plus that's an automatic when you link into the forums via Facebook as part of the initial sign-up on accounts. It also saves me time when people can just figure out if I'm actually me from my name...as opposed to having to figure out who I am from a handle. ;)

That comes in handy in specific cases.

#36 +Byté

Byté

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 20 November 2012 - 23:07

The company i work for still insist of renewing our clients McAfee SaaS versions and AVG Business, i literally bite my tongue every time i have to update the software on client PC's.

Stick with MSE :)

The best av in the world is common sense...