Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

xbox live ad from 10 years ago

19 posts in this topic

Posted

okay so lets analyze this...my question would be, did xbox live really have a voice masking feature?

Posted

Should still have a voice masker, to mask out those annoying little 12 year old kids

3 people like this

Posted

I wouldn't be surprised if it did, the PS3 lets you alter the pitch of your mic.

1 person likes this

Posted

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=SKH4NOA0pPA

okay so lets analyze this...my question would be, did xbox live really have a voice masking feature?

Yes. It was used on Halo 2 in-game all the time. I heard it a few times on Tom Clancy I believe too. Maybe the games added them and not XBL directly, but it was there.

Posted

Yes. It was used on Halo 2 in-game all the time. I heard it a few times on Tom Clancy I believe too. Maybe the games added them and not XBL directly, but it was there.

This. It was in Halo 2 IIRC.

Posted

God, I love those old videos! I remember this one specifically...

It was on an old Xbox DVD video that I can't remember where I got from. I do remember it contained this ad as well.

Another thing I remember was trying to get on Dark Master's friend list back then. I eventually did, and ended up playing a bit of Return to Castle Wolfenstein with them. I was only a kid. :p

Posted

I still think this is the best Xbox ad ever :laugh: not sure if it was ever actually used

2 people like this

Posted

I still think this is the best Xbox ad ever :laugh: not sure if it was ever actually used

*snipped*

It definitely was used here in the UK, but not for long.

Posted

I remember seeing it at least once on tv. I think during the Super Bowl.

Posted

Yeah I remember the voice masking feature. Never used it though.

Posted

Oh voice masking...Making you sound like a fat robot. Hated people that used it.

Posted

Yeah, Play More was great.

I also loved this one.

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ar1ulBcGKgw

xD i liked the guy that was on the phone that was like "give me a sec"

Posted

was this an actual commercial I don't remember it. thanks for posting, love the CRT monitor and the TV...how times changed...so great but at the same time sad, as time just moves on...

Posted

wow, i didnt realize that this 'Dark Master' gamertag was actually real... i wonder if 'Crusher' or any of the other tags like 'Cheese Filter' they show in the video are real too? they look cheesy but they are like the de-facto gamertags

Posted

wow, i didnt realize that this 'Dark Master' gamertag was actually real... i wonder if 'Crusher' or any of the other tags like 'Cheese Filter' they show in the video are real too? they look cheesy but they are like the de-facto gamertags

I never looked up the others, but they probably are real and still around. They're pretty common-sounding names, so they probably would have been snapped up a long time ago. I just checked Crusher, and yep, it's real. So is Bumpy (albeit, unused). Along with all the other gamertags on Dark Master's team in the ad: Siberias (again, unused), Buffalo Soldier, Pochi X (unused), Steel Crumpets, Sleeping Giant, and the AFC Captain Carnage.

I've just remembered what I didn't like about the ad: that those two games (Chrono Warriors & World Cup Warriors) never existed. :p

Posted

A couple more videos I've found (I've never seen the first one before)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWALEOfgkuI

Posted

I bet they had no idea what xbox live was actually going to be like

and whats a 'mondo hard drive' , was it some kind of alternate reality hard disk technology?

Posted

For those of you who can remember, Im only 23 but still... XBL beta with MotoGP and Whacked (omg whacked!!!) voice masking was definitely used in game, if not also in the default XBL options (the last part im not sure on).