• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 +SharpGreen

SharpGreen

Now with built-in BS detector.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus

Posted 21 November 2012 - 17:24

If I'm not using VS, then I'm using either Notepad++ or GEdit if I'm on Linux.

#17 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 21 November 2012 - 17:24

On Windows visual studio 2010
On Linux Gedit

#18 Leonick

Leonick

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 November 2012 - 17:39

Heh, Notepad++.

I've been testing Sublime Text 2 and I'd definitely say it looks better out of the box (not sure you could even mod Notepad++ to look better) but honestly I feel the syntax highlighting (only judging for html, css, php and javascript) is better in Notepad++ out of the box though judging by the default colour-schemes it's possible I could fix that for Sublime and it's probably just a matter of what I'm used to as well. Still, In the end, there is no way I personally could justify paying $59 for Sublime when there isn't really anything (except looks) that it does better than Notepad++ for me and even if it did it'd be a bit steep for a texteditor.

#19 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 18:58

Heh, Notepad++.

I've been testing Sublime Text 2 and I'd definitely say it looks better out of the box (not sure you could even mod Notepad++ to look better) but honestly I feel the syntax highlighting (only judging for html, css, php and javascript) is better in Notepad++ out of the box though judging by the default colour-schemes it's possible I could fix that for Sublime and it's probably just a matter of what I'm used to as well. Still, In the end, there is no way I personally could justify paying $59 for Sublime when there isn't really anything (except looks) that it does better than Notepad++ for me and even if it did it'd be a bit steep for a texteditor.

Every few minutes (30 minutes) it just shows a nag screen. Nothing else.

#20 Leonick

Leonick

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:07

Every few minutes (30 minutes) it just shows a nag screen. Nothing else.

I know, just like WinZip only has a 30 day trial but can still be used after it. The "license" still says you have to buy for continued use so I'll just go for the free just as good alternative even if I could technically use the paid option without paying :p

#21 -Alex-

-Alex-

Noob Hunter

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:21

Notepad++ for quick text editing.

Dreamweaver for PHP/HTML/JS/CSS.

Visual Studio for C#.

I know, just like WinZip only has a 30 day trial but can still be used after it. The "license" still says you have to buy for continued use so I'll just go for the free just as good alternative even if I could technically use the paid option without paying :p

You should really try 7-Zip. I was a die-hard WinRAR fan for the last 7 years or so, until it was forced upon me. It's Ultra compression kicks arse!

#22 OP pes2013

pes2013

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:22

I recommend anyone that uses Notepad++ (for whatever) to give Sublime Text 2 a try :)

#23 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:23

Sublime Text 2 is nice, but I haven't found anything that makes it worth the money for me. Notepad++ does a great job for simple editing and it's free. Visual Studio will always be the king of IDEs though.

#24 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:27

I personally use Notepad++ and Eclipse (against my will). Never heard of Sublime, so I'll check that one out. :)

#25 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 19:30

Sublime Text for anything non-Java and I love it! If you thought text editors couldn't be faster, think again.

#26 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:02

Sublime text 2 is free by the way guys.
Paying is optional.

#27 Andre S.

Andre S.

Asik

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 21 November 2012 - 21:14

Visual C# with Resharper is my favorite by far.

#28 Pon

Pon

Neowinian

Posted 21 November 2012 - 22:02

Sublime text 2 is free by the way guys.
Paying is optional.

No, it isn't free. From the website:

Sublime Text 2 may be downloaded and evaluated for free, however a license must be purchased for continued use. There is currently no enforced time limit for the evaluation.

You need to pay for it if you intend to use it; it's not donationware. It's developed by one man, not a big company with lots of resources.

It's cross-platform, has portable versions, supports skinning, TextMate color schemes, VIM emulation (vintage mode), is very fast both graphically and in terms of loading and searching files with fuzzy search parameters, has a lot of nice, free plugins (and you can write your own in Python), a console with Python shell, has split-pane support, multiple cursors, project management with easy project switching (ctrl+alt+p), build systems, etc. For many languages all you'll really be missing compared to an IDE is a debugger. I used to use Notepad++ but really it's slow and clunky compared to Sublime.

#29 Colin McGregor

Colin McGregor

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Samsung Ativ S WP8

Posted 21 November 2012 - 22:12

Visual Studio 2012. Express edition is free and works perfect.

#30 +ngc891

ngc891

seething

• Phone: WP8

Posted 21 November 2012 - 22:17

Sadly don't do much programming any more but when I did it was 'edit' in DOS for all my COBOL source code needs...

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!