Chevy Chase Leaving Community

Pierce Hawthorne is dropping out of Greendale Community College. After a tumultuous three-and-a-half year relationship, Chevy Chase and the producers of NBC?s cult comedy Community are parting ways by mutual agreement. Chase?s departure from the show is effective immediately. The bulk of Community?s 13-episode fourth-season order have been filmed. Chase won?t appear in the 1 or 2 episodes that have not been shot yet.

The news of Chase?s exit from the Sony TV-produced Community hardly comes as a surprise. His return to the comedy series for Season 4 was somewhat surprising as he hinted multiple times last spring that he might leave. He has been vocal about his displeasure with the Community gig, telling The Huffington Post UK in an interview this fall, ?It was a big mistake! I just sort of hung around because I have three daughters and a wife, and I figured out I might as well make some bread, every week, so I can take care of them in the way they want ? The hours are hideous, and it?s still a sitcom on television, which is probably the lowest form of television.?

Then there was Chase?s public feud with show?s creator/former showrunner Dan Harmon last year, which escalated into a profanity-laced message Chase left on Harmon?s voice mail. (Harmon left the series after the end of last season.) There also have been on-set outbursts that have become a distraction for the rest of the cast and crew. They included a tirade last month, in which Chase used the N-Word. The rant was reportedly prompted by lines of dialogue he found offensive. According to people close to the actor, Chase had been increasingly frustrated and uncomfortable with the direction of his character, Pierce, who is a bigot, and had felt that the Pierce had run his course.

Chase?s departure likely won?t have as big of an impact on Community as Harmon?s exit because Pierce is a supporting character in an ensemble led by Joel NcHale that has a number of standouts. The show recently got a February 7 Season 4 premiere date and is set to return to its regular Thursday 8 PM time slot. With a February start, Community is unlikely to go beyond the 13 ordered episodes this season. Chase will be in most of them, so his departure will be felt more acutely if the series gets a fifth season renewal.

Source

I actually think that Chevy's character does play a very important role. I read a lot about how he had his issues, and always wondered if "this would be the last season". Sad to hear he is out, because I really do like the show, even though it can be corny. I do believe that without Chevy, the show will lose a huge following and will also lose a lot of what it had to work with.

I actually think that Chevy's character does play a very important role. I read a lot about how he had his issues, and always wondered if "this would be the last season". Sad to hear he is out, because I really do like the show, even though it can be corny. I do believe that without Chevy, the show will lose a huge following and will also lose a lot of what it hard to work with.

Yeah I think he will be missed

His character had the most depth of them all. He was the conflict of the group. Without him, I just don't see it being as good as it was. His character also opened up a lot of possibilities to occur, since he was sort of a "wild card" of the bunch. He had no real direction or motivation, thus enabling him to be good and evil.

Sad to see him go but i always thought if anyone left the show and have the show still be watchable it would be Chevy Chase. He has been a bit part since season 4. He only had a few stand out moments in that season.

I think it is time to chang our point of view.