31 posts in this topic

Posted

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57553467-93/mozilla-quietly-ceases-firefox-64-bit-development/

Mozilla engineering manager Benjamin Smedberg has asked developers to stop nightly builds for Firefox on 64-bit versions of Windows.

A developer thread posted on the Google Groups mozilla.dev.planning discussion board, titled "Turning off win64 builds" by Smedberg proposed the disabling of the Windows 64-bit nightly builds for Firefox.

Citing reasons that Firefox 64-bit is a "constant source of misunderstanding and frustration," the engineer wrote that the builds often crash, many plugins are not available in 64-bit versions, and hangs are more common due to a lack of coding which causes plugins to function incorrectly. In addition, Smedberg argues that this causes users to feel "second class," and crash reports between 32-bit and 64-bit versions are difficult to distinguish between for the stability team.

Although willing to shelve the idea for a time if proven controversial -- as some developers disagreed with the idea -- Smedberg later said that:

The engineer then posted a thread titled "Disable windows 64 builds" on Bugzilla, asking developers to "stop building windows [sic] 64 builds and tests." These include the order to stop building Windows 64-bit nightly builds and repatriate existing Windows 64-bit nightly users onto Windows 32-bit builds using a custom update.

In order to stave off argument, even though one participant suggested that 50 percent of nightly testers were using the system, perhaps as an official 64-bit version of Firefox for Windows has never been released, Smedberg said it was "not the place to argue about this decision, which has already been made."

Another stupid move by Mozilla.

Posted

Mozilla = A dying breed of stupid
8 people like this

Posted

http://www.neowin.net/news/firefox-for-64-bit-windows-os-canceled

Posted

[quote name='Kane' timestamp='1353597923' post='595342162']
http://www.neowin.net/news/firefox-for-64-bit-windows-os-canceled
[/quote]

I do not read the front page.
2 people like this

Posted

Kind of a stupid move considering 64bit is becoming more standard nowadays. Do any processors from the last 4-5 years not support 64bit instructions?
I think it would be better for Mozilla if they found a compromise. Windows can work with 32bit and 64bit programs, why can't a browser do the same with its addons.

Posted

Don't worry guys when Mozilla will integrate social features into their browser, all the users will crawl back /s

Posted

[quote name='Gary7' timestamp='1353598456' post='595342182']
I do not read the front page.
[/quote]
Others do and a link to the discussion already ongoing might be useful to others.
1 person likes this

Posted

[quote name='ArialBlue' timestamp='1353599270' post='595342224']
Don't worry guys when Mozilla will integrate social features into their browser, all the users will crawl back /s
[/quote]

In Beta 18 which I am using they are integrated if you want it. I have no use for them.

Posted

typical of that hive-mind.... they spend more time arguing instead of innovating....
2 people like this

Posted

Shame -- this is one area where 'progress' would be appreciated.
2 people like this

Posted

Even Opera has come out with a 64 Bit Browser. Mozilla is trying to make a Cloud OS?? Whatever Google does , Mozilla is not far behind...

Posted

i have a much better idea. How about they shut down the 32bit version?
5 people like this

Posted

I've been running Nightly x64 for the last 2 years, and I can count how many times it has crashed or there have been incompatibilities with addons on five fingers of a hand... plugins is another story, but that's because plugins are useless shyte anyways.

Posted

[quote name='seta-san' timestamp='1353602636' post='595342342']
i have a much better idea. How about they shut down the 32bit version?
[/quote]

How about a no, no offense, 32 bits is not going anywhere soon until MS makes a 64 bits only OS.

Posted

[quote name='Sub_Zero_Alchemist' timestamp='1353617714' post='595342938']

How about a no, no offense, 32 bits is not going anywhere soon until MS makes a 64 bits only OS.
[/quote]
XP was the first 64-bit OS
Grow up

Posted

[quote name='ArialBlue' timestamp='1353619489' post='595342986']
XP was the first 64-bit OS
Grow up
[/quote]

I'm not talking about what was the first 64 bit, i was talking about making it only 64 bit. Why do i need to grow up? because im trying to
have an opinion. Im done dealing with you, since your going to act like a *bleep* about it.
1 person likes this

Posted

Long live WaterFox.

Stupid Mozilla!

Posted

switch to 64bit, plugins will follow. they can't see that?
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Sub_Zero_Alchemist' timestamp='1353617714' post='595342938']
[/quote]

Server 2012. I use it and love it.

Posted

You shouldn't even be on 32-bit only OS anyway at this point. Unless your CPU is 2000 or older :?

Posted

Poor Mozilla. No wonder Chrome has left them in the dust.
1 person likes this

Posted

lol turns out it wasn't quite as quietly as they hoped...

Posted

[quote name='Growled' timestamp='1353649489' post='595343748']
Poor Mozilla. No wonder Chrome has left them in the dust.
[/quote]

You might as well say poor chrome as well,still no sign of chrome's 64 bit browser like they promised to release. The only ones that do have a 64 bit browser
is IE and Opera.

Posted

So, Mozilla coders can integrate a Social API in their browser but cannot code a 64-bit version of Firefox? Uhm....
2 people like this

Posted

[quote name='Sub_Zero_Alchemist' timestamp='1353651181' post='595343812']
You might as well say poor chrome as well,[b]still no sign of chrome's 64 bit browser[/b] like they promised to release. The only ones that do have a 64 bit browser
is IE and Opera.
[/quote]that's what you think http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1094641-meet-chrome-next/page__view__findpost__p__595320566