12 posts in this topic

Posted

After upgrading to Windows 8, im facing a very slow download speed. My router and the NIC is working fine because on the same PC I also have Linux. In Linux, everything works fine.

When checking through the task manager, it shows that the system use the full bandwidth 1Mbps even without a download. The process menu doesn't show whats taking much bandwidth. The bitdefender's firewall also shows network activity.

Is there any hidden apps downloading? How to fix this?

Posted

do you have MS Office with Skydrive sync?

Posted

After upgrading to Windows 8, im facing a very slow download speed. My router and the NIC is working fine because on the same PC I also have Linux. In Linux, everything works fine.

When checking through the task manager, it shows that the system use the full bandwidth 1Mbps even without a download. The process menu doesn't show whats taking much bandwidth. The bitdefender's firewall also shows network activity.

Is there any hidden apps downloading? How to fix this?

That is simply -- some of your tiles keeping up to date....

For example the Weather tile - I remember noting that when I tested it- The default check for updates was every 10 minutes- plus - the finance tile was every two minutes--

I would look there first... change the update interval on those

Posted

do you have MS Office with Skydrive sync?

None :( Just formatted the system!

I have removed the finance tile and the news tiles :)

Posted

How do you turn the updates off? Simply removing the tiles from start, will this work?

Posted

None :( Just formatted the system!

I have removed the finance tile and the news tiles :)

The next thing if it still were slow- I would probably do a full Windows update (it is possible the system may be auto-updating in the background) ...

Posted

How do you turn the updates off? Simply removing the tiles from start, will this work?

No... I have uninstalled the apps

The next thing if it still were slow- I would probably do a full Windows update (it is possible the system may be auto-updating in the background) ...

The system is already updated :)

Posted

When I installed Windows 8 it took forever for Windows Update to finish running in the background. It has a lot of updates. I thought something was wrong with my install for a bit, things were so slow.

1 person likes this

Posted

When I installed Windows 8 it took forever for Windows Update to finish running in the background. It has a lot of updates. I thought something was wrong with my install for a bit, things were so slow.

+1 on this, I had the exact same thing

Posted

Hmm not the same but last night my laptop slowed down and I noticed that "System" was doing near 100% disk activity. This on a fully updated Windows 8 laptop (3 year old i3/4GB RAM). Things went back to normal after a reboot.

Posted

A new trick I've learned is to set your connection to a metered connection, if you use WiFi or mobile.

http://windows.micro...asked-questions