Chinese references 'digitally removed from Red Dawn' remake

pjvfdt03.jpg

Negative references to China have been removed from new film Red Dawn to "avoid antagonising Beijing", it has been claimed.

According to Sky News, film studio MGM decided to edit "Chinese villains" out of the film when they realised the plot "would offend Beijing". The invading country in the film has now been changed to North Korea.

Red Dawn, which stars Chris Hemsworth (The Avengers, Rush) and Josh Hutcherson (The Hunger Games), is a remake of the 1984 film of the same name.

An action thriller about a high school football team who save the day after China invades America, it was released in the US on November 21.

However, it has been claimed that once MGM realised that the negative connotations towards China could have an impact on the film's success at the box office in the country, the invading army was edited in post-production and changed to North Korea.

All of the flags and symbols in the film have now been edited to reflect the change in country.

Source

• Like 1

Haha! Oh just wait until the day it's `yes china we will change the history books to make you the sucessor to everyone throughout the whole of previous history just please don`t stop supplying us with precious earth metals!`.

What a joke.

Considering what happened to Norway and china relations after last years peace prize, and considering how much US debt china owes. It's probably a good thing for the US economy and the dollar that it was changed. china handles criticism like a 2 year old.

I find NK invading the US more plausible than China, but then again I just finished playing Homefront a while ago, which follows a similar plot.

Homefront's plot was just as ludicrous and was even opposed by the developers. Unfortunately executives at THQ forced them into it.

The idea of NK invading is so effing stupid. I guess now that the cold war's over, you do what you can...

You're right there, but this is hilarious. When I saw the promos I assumed it was China, but now I know they want to sell the film to the Chinese market (and so can't have China be the enemy), I just love the North Korea thing. It's insane. But if they were going to go for North Korea, why not just take it all the way and go for Tuvalu or Palau or Costa Rica?