Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

HDD speed impact over other PC components.

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Neowinians! I bought my new PC and spent my money on mid-range components yet I kept my old Hitachi Sata 1 Deskstar HDD. It is 7200 RPM rated and a bit old.

Core i5 3450 - 8GB 1600 Mhz Ram - 570 GTX nVidia gpu - H77-DS3H Gigabyte Mobo - Windows 7 64 bit SP1.

I wonder how much my HDD slows down my PC . This is mainly a gaming rig. Are my components bogged down in Windows performance , start-up , games much ? Would it be a substantial upgrade if I stick a Sata 3 in my case ? I would ask of you to tell me what would speed up with a fast SSD/Sata 3 HDD.

Sorry for my broken English. Thanks in advance !

1 person likes this

Posted

7200 RPM is not bad, and upgrading to a 10,000 RPM drive probably will not be too noticeable. SSD would definitely decrease load times and system startup.

Posted

SSD all the way. It has a bigger impact than a new CPU/GPU a lot of the time. Just make sure to get the latest revision and update the firmware as soon as you get it.

When I upgraded from a hd to a OCZ Vertex 4, the difference was astounding. The machine seems to fly now. And when I upgrade to i5-3750k + HD7950, it'll be even better :D