Recovery Console without CD

I bought a HP 7955 and it didn't come with the Windows XP CD.

How do I:

? access the recovery console, and

? (can I) reinstall XP *without* the software the PC came with?

I tried winnt32 /cmdcons in my i386 dir but it says the installation source path is invalid.

Screw you HP! Can anyone help me?

The source media is there, but its under a seperate partition. Of course, hard drive failure means no source. Muahahaha. Which then you have to find a HP repair center (Best Buy, CompUSA, etc) and have them remove your hard drive and ship it to HP... wait a century, and have the new hard drive put in. Or skip the repair center and ship it yourself.... all in all... HPs, Compaqs, etc.. They cost cheap, they're made cheap, they suck.

I don't know about getting it to work without the CD, but I recall something that may help... sort of. For the life of me I can't remember where, but within the past couple of days I read an article about the HP/XP issue you are having. I think it was linked from neowin or maxreboot or something. Anyway, a lot of people are complaining about the fact that instead of restore disks, HP is just backing up the initial install on the harddrive. This didn't make people happy, so HP is issuing the restore disks for people who complain to them. First of all, I am only 99% sure it was HP. Second, I don't know if the recovery disks can even perform like the WinXP disk would. Third, you might have an slightly older system that DID come with the restore disks and you think I'm on crack. Fourth, with how vague a recollection I have of this, it is entirely possible I dreamt it and am now making all this up. Fifth, before I make more of a jackass out of myself, I'm going to shut up. Hope this helped.:D

Hmmm... I've complained to HP about 8 (eight) times, and they tell me that there is no way to reinstall XP without the software that it comes with. I'll ask them about recovery disks... maybe that access the hidden partition and setup XP itself.. thanks.

Just read this on Windows Update:

This update resolves the "You May Lose Data or Program Settings After Reinstalling, Repairing, or Upgrading Windows XP" issue in Windows XP, and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q312369. If you upgrade, reinstall, or repair the version of Windows XP that was preinstalled by a computer manufacturer, in some cases, you might lose data or program settings.

Anyone know how to lose the data?

I emailed HP and they said there is no way to install xp without software. And MS said recovery console won't work because it was from a sysrep image or something. Now I'm just screwed. Anyone have any ideas?

Did you rename your Administrator account?

Just reset the password to something simple, like TEST, while you are working on boot problems.

Also, I think there is always the option of buying replacement disks from most businesses, including HP. Contact them and tell them you need replacement CD's. Yeah, you'll have to buy them and I don't know how much they will charge you. My guess is that they could cost something like $30 +/- $25.

MS said it didn't matter if the password is right, any pass is wrong cuz of a sysrep image something...

I'll ask HP for a replacement disk and hope like hell it doesn't come with the software. If it does, I have no other alternatives :(

Originally posted by hurting101

MS said it didn't matter if the password is right, any pass is wrong cuz of a sysrep image something...

I'll ask HP for a replacement disk and hope like hell it doesn't come with the software. If it does, I have no other alternatives :(

if you order a replacement disk from HP, it will be the same one that came with your computer.

because OEMs get a discount on their copies of windows, they arent allowed to distribute windows on its own. the only place that does give original cd's is Dell who locks the CDs to the motherboard, because you are paying full price for the OS.

Xcalibur

Damn... Why did I buy an HP :(. I guy said it came with the windows cd, but by the time I found out it wasn't, it was too late (I thought it was in this package but turned out to be the MS works CD) Is it just me or am I being forced to get an illegal copy?

Damn... Why did I buy an HP :(. I guy said it came with the windows cd, but by the time I found out it wasn't, it was too late (I thought it was in this package but turned out to be the MS works CD) Is it just me or am I being forced to get an illegal copy?

he is technically right when it says it comes with the windows cd.. windows cd at a computer store means a recovery cd..:D you'll never buy a computer at like bestbuy, etc, and expect a actual windows cd... lol.. :D

I didn't realise that HP had such problems with their setups and CD's, although I would never buy one of their retail/consumer PC's. Such is one of the problems with buying the consumer/retail versions of many PC brands instead of the commercial versions, which always cost more. I've only used a couple of corporate PC's that were Dell and Compaq and not generic. In the Dell case, they had CD's with an image and the OS files, but the Compaq laptop I used was before they even had CD's and there were no backups/images on the laptop.

I would write to HP and complain to a CS rep about their support and sales of PC's. Tell them you thought that the original PC should include files to install extra Windows features and drivers if the user so desired. Tell them you need to install features that are a part of Windows and without certain files that should be in their SysPrep image, you can't do it.

BTW, what MS is talking about is called SysPrep. Also, they may not want you to use cmdcons, as this may only make matters worse for their tech support people. (What system driver do you really think you need to disable? Some can be disabled in the Control Panel --> System Properties --> Hardware [select from the View menu, Show Hidden Devices] Make sure to only disable drivers you KNOW will not stop the system on restart, 'cause without console recovery, if the system doesn't start you will have to do an image reinstall.

BTW, what MS is talking about is called SysPrep. Also, they may not want you to use cmdcons, as this may only make matters worse for their tech support people. (What system driver do you really think you need to disable? Some can be disabled in the Control Panel --> System Properties --> Hardware [select from the View menu, Show Hidden Devices]Make sure to only disable drivers you KNOW will not stop the system on restart, 'cause without console recovery, if the system doesn't start you will have to do an image reinstall.

First of all, I wouldn't disable any hardware stuff, if I screw up I am literally screwed :(. Period. Nothing I can do. I can only reinstall from inside windows (hp system recovery). I want recovery console to do things like replace uxtheme.dll and stuff.

Meh. I am stuck. And tech support sux all ready, so I gues recovery console would make it worse... (it took them 4 times to admit that I am stuck with their software after installing)

I want recovery console to do things like replace uxtheme.dll and stuff

you can use sfc /scannow in the cmd prompt to replace hacked dll's for originals, or just look in the dllcache

and don't you have the xp cd?

Originally posted by freek

you can use sfc /scannow in the cmd prompt to replace hacked dll's for originals, or just look in the dllcache

and don't you have the xp cd?

Nope, no CD. Didn't come with one.

Alright screw recovery console. New:

How/Can I view "hidden" partitions? I have one called HP_RECOVERY (no drive letter)

Can I access it?

the only way i know is when the blue and phat HP screen shows up at the system startup, right when it shows, start tapping F10 slowly(1 time each second). then the system recovery should appear.. this is the only other way to access the recovery system if windows is inaccessible.. and also if u can access windows then u can do the system recovery by going to start > all programs > hp tools > recovery...

hope i helped..

p'z

BLACKWAR

Originally posted by PM5K

I say you just download a copy of xp, and if they ever catch you tell them that when you bought your cheap ass hp system it came with a license for XP, so you aren't stealing.

I considered that, but then when XP SP1 comes out I'd have to download another version or try and update it... but I would have an excuse. Meh. I guess that's my only alternative...

dude,

did you try what i said?

that actually should work, it should take you to a recovery program and recover the full copy of XP home...

try that a few times tho.. if it dont work, reboot and try tapping F10 during the blue hp screen...

tell me how it goes

BLACKWAR