Recovery Console without CD

Originally posted by BLACKWAR

dude,

did you try what i said?

that actually should work, it should take you to a recovery program and recover the full copy of XP home...

try that a few times tho.. if it dont work, reboot and try tapping F10 during the blue hp screen...

tell me how it goes

BLACKWAR

Full recovery also installs all the useless bloated software :(

EG: KazooStudio, HP center, HP photo, etc.

PS - but I have to admit that the system recovery thing does work pretty good, for a dos kinda app...

Originally posted by Quazzi

http://www.silicon.com/bin/bladerunner?30R...B=REQINT1=50316

you should be able to get a copy of XP. So maybe if you keep after them they will do the right thing. Good luck

Look what I found on that site:

"HP recommends that you do not replace the hard disk as it is preloaded with Windows XP. The operating system will be lost if the hard disk is replaced. If you further wish to replace the hard disk, please purchase a retail version of Windows XP from your reseller and install it on the new hard drive."

Umm let me think for a second. I bought a LEGIT version of Windows XP, and now not only can I install it without software hassle, but now I have to buy another XP CD because HP is too welfare to plop one in with the PC! This is great!

Under pressure from angry customers, HP began sending out CDs in late December. But according to a spokeswoman for HP UK, recovery disks will only be provided for customers who complain and will still not be included with the original PC.

Alright. I've complained numerous times. I even asked if they had a recovery CD. And they said there was nothing of the sort. I'm gonna take quotes from past emails they've replied to and try and get a CD out of them.

Thanks for that site.

well man.. if u don't want to get a copy of Windows XP like devilsown.. then thats ur best bet.. u can uninstall all the crap and be left with just windows itself.. pretty darn easy to do.. since u have a new system too, it will prolly take u a minute

good luckk...

p.s I know hp support has a long distance number .. but i found this one somwhere.. a 1800 :) it is 1800-633-3600

-BLACKWAR

Helloooo my name is ricky.. i werk for HP i am 13 yrs old and i want a car.. we will not give u a friggin recovery cd till u get me a 2004 Mercedes Benz S600.. fully loadeed too... heh

pleeasse?

with cherry's on top..

I have some infomation that may help:

Recovery Console Issue with sysprep will be addressed, a patch will be released. No ETA yet but soon.

No Recovery CD:

Here are the facts:

HP uses a hidden partition which can be accessed by hitting F10.

Last week HP has made the recovery CD's avaialble for $9.95 if you call support and state meet the following criteria.

1. You plan on upgrading your harddrive

2. You have deleted the hidden partition

Just calling and saying you want the CD will not get you the CD's.

Just state that you are going to replace your harddrive or you have deleted the hidden partition and they will set you up .

Key things to know:

There are 7 CD's to the set.

The first one is bootable and it will recreate the hidden partition that is almost 5 gigs. There is no way around that.

In the event you use the learning adventure software that is included on the original build, it will not be with the new recovery cd's.

If you do not want to pay for the cd's you can send it in to HP to have the harddrive reimaged or replaced with a imaged drive.

Hope this helps with some of the FUD floating around out there.

This post is of my own knowledge and does not reflect the views or polices of HP company. :bandit:

BLACKWAR:

I just got a copy, and installed it this afternoon. All better :). Recovery console is even fixed after changing Local Policies to use no password.

vraa:

You are complimenting HP :p

HPTECH:

Thanks for the info :). 7 CDs is loads of hassle :(. I will just keep the partition, and hope that nothing bad happens to it (the drivers are stored there).

Thanks peeps, problem solved. :)

no problem my friend...

i bought an HP because they were usually meant for "quality"

but after they merged with compaq.. something happened (Oh my god i wonder why.. LOL) and hp stopped providing recovery disks.. I called in many times about this and they told me the bs that microsoft didn't allow them.. well then answer this, how come the other manufacturers provided the friggin cds?

heh

funny aint it

btw.. i sometimes find the software that was included in my hp useful.. for example the pinnacle studio bla bla..

that thing is such a nice proggie..

anyway

u can see how anything that COMPAQ is involved in can screw up EVERYTHING..

lol

Originally posted by hurting101

Is it just me or am I being forced to get an illegal copy?

Legally, when you buy some "software" like you did when you got your computer, you are not buying the software you are getting permission to run it on your computer, and they just throw in a free CD with the program on it.

So if you used the devils0wn copy, you still have permission to use the software, you just aren?t using the CD they gave you free.

If they ever did take you to court for using a devils0wn copy (ha, like that would ever happen, too may of the:p:p) they would not be able to do anything, because you have permission to use it.

So, go for your life, download the devils0wns copy, they can?t do anything.

Originally posted by BLACKWAR

but after they merged with compaq.. something happened (Oh my god i wonder why.. LOL) and hp stopped providing recovery disks..

Hptech:

Actually they havent merged with Compaq yet. And prior to XP's release they always provided CD's with a image only.

Quote:

I called in many times about this and they told me the bs that microsoft didn't allow them..

Hptech: That is partitily true but cant elaborate......sorry would violate NDA I signed.

Quote:

Well then answer this, how come the other manufacturers provided the friggin cds?

HP choose to not provide CD's mainly due to cost of production and replacment costs when customers/store misplace them.MS has been trying for years to presure other manufacturers to do the same and not provide copies of the full media. Ever been to a computer swap meet and seen copies of Windows and Office with stamp "For distribution with a HP/DELL/Gateway etc... PC only."

I personnaly don't agree with the fact that they dont provide CD's but they don't pay me to think either.:ermm:

it doesnt matter how much MS wants their way.. they will never get it, majority always wins as u can see.. HP lost many , many customers when they decided not to provide recovery cds. i think this is just another way for HP to make their extra bux.. If ms keeps on putting rules like this, i wont be surprised if HP and the other big manufacturers switch to an alternative os..

hay dewd, cant you just use the Startup disks for xp?!?! all that is is the installer from winxp, it should still have recovery console on it right?

ps, its the one that takes 6 flops

hope that helped, ladr

Originally posted by HPTECH

HP uses a hidden partition which can be accessed by hitting F10.

F10? I'm assuming you mean when booting, (like F8), but nothing happened.

drewster2100:

I've tried those and it didn't work :(. Said my password was invalid (bug).

Kinda off topic...

Look at what I found:

Open windows help, and search for "recovery console"

Click the first topic, Install the Recovery Console as a startup option

It says:

CLick Start and select Run.

Yes, with the C and the L capitals.

Originally posted by hurting101

F10? I'm assuming you mean when booting, (like F8), but nothing happened.

drewster2100:

I've tried those and it didn't work :(. Said my password was invalid (bug).

My mistake...F10 will start the HP Recovery process(Automated System Recovery) not the Recovery Console.

:dead:

well the answer ur looking for is no.. u cant install only windows xp with none or some of the software the pc comes with.. they are all just demos and a way for hp to earn extra money through advertisers.. again, my suggestion would be to do the recovery then uninstall all the programs u dont want... it'll be basically the same thing :p

HP just sucks....i have an hp n had to get a 2nd hard drive to install xp all cuz 8 gigs wouldnt be enough for me...n had to get alot more ram but it only could hold 256....n the power supply went dead so got the power supply replaced....took over week to do that....