AMD Core Unlocking

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mark

Mark

(: ollǝɥ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:51

Early last year I bought an AMD x2 555BE 3.2ghz

I'd initially hoped to unlock an extra core or two but I never managed to do it. No matter what settings I chose, my pc simply didn't boot.

Just wondered if there's anything I'm missing, if I need to do anything extra like disable cool and quite, stuff like that?

I felt like giving it another go since it's been so long.

Thanks for the advice..

By the way, the mobo is a MSI 870a-g54

#2 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:53

Not all CPUs can be unlocked successfully, they're generally disabled because they didn't make the X3 or X4 spec stability

#3 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 26 November 2012 - 18:57

I guess the first thing to ask is do you have the latest BIOS?

Seems like quite a few people with that mobo have the same problem you're having. Some people are saying that if you increase the CPU voltage a little bit, it might work.

And then some others are saying that there is only a 70% success rate for unlocking, so you might just be in that unlucky 30%.

#4 OP Mark

Mark

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:01

What would be a safe level to increase the CPU voltage to?

Not all CPUs can be unlocked successfully, they're generally disabled because they didn't make the X3 or X4 spec stability

I know this can be the case but from what I've seen, instability is generally the problem, my computer won't so much as reach POST

#5 OP Mark

Mark

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:14

Just updated bios, tried to unlock again. All I get is all my fans running at 100% and a CMOS reset required!

#6 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:14

I guess start by incrementing it by 0.05 ~ 0.10 volts, and see if it will boot. I believe you generally shouldn't exceed 1.5V unless you're overclocking.

Maybe you can try unlocking only the 3rd core and see if you can get that far.

#7 OP Mark

Mark

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:31

I honstely think the feature doesn't work on this board at all. If I enable Core Control and manually disable core 2 (only two cores show at this point), I get the exact same problem, all the fans just spin up :/

#8 Detection

Detection

Detecting stuff...

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:38

I honstely think the feature doesn't work on this board at all. If I enable Core Control and manually disable core 2 (only two cores show at this point), I get the exact same problem, all the fans just spin up :/

Give MSI a shout and ask them if there are any known issues using that feature with your board

#9 OP Mark

Mark

Posted 26 November 2012 - 19:56

Give MSI a shout and ask them if there are any known issues using that feature with your board

Thanks, I'll try that. I do have a feeling they will simply say that my CPU must not be unlockable though.

On a plus side, I managed to get a stable overclock to 3.9Gghz but I'm too scared to keep the voltages as high as they are!