Photo

[Windows 7] What Backup & Restore exactly restore?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:10

Hello.
I've been wondering what Backup and Restore on Windows 7 exactly restore? Does this utility simply restores the whole hard disk as it was or simply a partition?

I had been using Windows 8 and I decided to go back to Windows 7 from an image disk I had created with Backup and restore.
However, I forgot to back up some files and I tried to recover them with EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard.
Before it lets you recover any files, it first discovers the partitions as they were before a format with all files as they where in the directory trees.
Unfortunately it seems, it cannot find the Windows 8 partition.
It seems like Backup and Restore utility does not simply format your hard drives and recovers the files.
It recovers the whole disk as it were.

Am I right or wrong?

#2 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:15

Eliminates files you downloaded, between restore points, pictures, removes installed programs, puts Registry settings the way they were, can eliminate virus, trojans, malware.

I don't think it messes with other partitions.

You would have needed to make an exact whole disk Image, to put things back as they were, totally.

#3 OP MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:20

Eliminates files you downloaded, between restore points, pictures, removes installed programs, puts Registry settings the way they were, can eliminate virus, trojans, malware.

I don't think it messes with other partitions.

So, can I still recover some files from my Windows 8 installation? I used the same partition for installing Windows 8 and recovering 7

#4 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 11

Posted 26 November 2012 - 20:22

Maybe if the Windows 8 partition is still there, untouched.

Otherwise it probably got overwritten.

I've used Easeus Data Recovery Wizard, to get files -- but I've never had multiple partitions on a drive.

#5 OP MariosX

MariosX

The man with no dreams

Posted 26 November 2012 - 21:24

Neither do I have multiple partitions, I just use the whole drive with only 1 partition.
So I guess I'm screwed... I'm trying to find these files but no luck so far..