• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:39

New Cell Phones are coming about every week and it's hard to keep up. To get a good price on a phone you will need to wait until you're at least one year in to your contract or start a new service. If you want to change your phone there is always craigslist but craigslist does not always have the latest phones for sometime. You can always go around it by buying it at full price. But who wants to pay $500 to $700 on a new cell phone of which you're going to switch it out after a year or two. I know a lot of people complaint that the iPad is way over price to a Nexus 7 but compare to a cell phone it's out of this world. I can get a Nexus 7 for $199(16GB) or $250(32GB) without a contract. Compare that to the Samsung Galaxy S3 which is $199 (16GB ATT) and you need to spend at least $110 for a good monthly plan. With all of this why in hell are all these cell phones just over price to everything else in the market.

#2 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:45

for the most part it comes down to hardware costs. smart phones are getting to the point where they're almost as powerful as normal computers in some ways. plus combine that with the components having to be much smaller. it ends up being where the cost to put the devices together is fairly close to that of some laptops

this is the reason why the top end cell phones cost so much full price

#3 Mr Nom Nom's

Mr Nom Nom's

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 5S 'Space Grey' (64GB)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:41

Depends because end of the day there are cheaper alternatives thus the price being charged is what people are willing and able to pay. If individuals turned around and decided instead of paying the amount they for a Samsung Galaxy S3 instead decided to get a ZTE R22 or Huawei Ideos you'd see a change in products being offered and priced.

#4 alwaysonacoffebreak

alwaysonacoffebreak

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia ZL

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:10

for the most part it comes down to hardware costs. smart phones are getting to the point where they're almost as powerful as normal computers in some ways.

How about no.

The fastest ARM soc is nearly catching up with Intel's slowest Atom (Which on the other hand already says everything, Atom's suck out of the box)

#5 Nick H.

Nick H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 12

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:14

Are Cell Phones Over Priced?

Personally, no. I can afford it which in my mind means it isn't over priced. Would I like it if the cost dropped? Yes. I nearly bought a Kindle Fire the other day just because of how cheap it was, and I'd be more inclined to do the same thing with a phone if the price was lower. Instead I carefully try and decide on the phone that will last me the longest time.

#6 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:16

How about no.

The fastest ARM soc is nearly catching up with Intel's slowest Atom (Which on the other hand already says everything, Atom's suck out of the box)

read my post again, I said they're getting CLOSE in SOME ways (sure I used the word almost, but you're completely missing my point by debating the power part of my post)

#7 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:23

Yes, massively overpriced. A top end phone costs the same as it does to build a good-level gaming rig (sans monitor). That's just ridiculous. Then again, if people are stupid enough to pay £500+ for a cell phone, manufacturers will set retail price at that mark.

#8 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:28

Are they overpriced? Not really no. Break it down into usage/cost/time and it seems fair to me.

Now, as you say - "It's hard to keep up". Don't play that game, get a new phone when you need a new phone, not when a new phone is released.

#9 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:31

ok, I take back the other things I've said in this thread, I decided to check google instead of spouting without prior knowledge, and I found this article http://smartphones.w...-build-0123345/

~60% profit on phones .... yeah I'd say they're a little over priced

#10 Brian Miller

Brian Miller

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:55

Yes

#11 OP ACTIONpack

ACTIONpack

Graphic Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 925 (T-Mobile)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:10

Posted Image

#12 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:16

So they cost less to build than a console, and yet sell for a bit more than twice as much, in some cases.

And people want to say they're not overpriced?

#13 Arpit

Arpit

The neowin lurker

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:21

i think everything is expensive...maybe i'm actually just not making enough to afford it all :p

#14 LUTZIFER

LUTZIFER

Resident Evil

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:30

So they cost less to build than a console, and yet sell for a bit more than twice as much, in some cases.

And people want to say they're not overpriced?

If you're referring to a gaming console, they sell for so little cuz the companies make up for it selling the games.

#15 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Galaxy Nexus running CyanogenMod 11

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:38

Depends on the phone, the iPhone is probably the best example of an overpriced phone, some of the higher end Androids / Windows Mobiles too.

However I think phones like the Nexus 4 offer a great spec for the price.