Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What Is Your MAIN Backup? Cloud, DVD or HDD?

Backup Solutions   97 votes

1. 1. What Do You Use as Your Main Backup Device?

• Cloud (SkyDrive, Google etc)
    • Hard Drive / NAS
    • DVD/Bluray (or other similar type of media)
    • Something else not listed (what?)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

73 posts in this topic

Posted

I currently use an external hard drive with some things backed up to DVD.

Might start using SkyDrive for some things like my CV which would be useful to have away from my home PC, but still a little worried about security...

Posted

You might want to add NAS to the list, as quite a few poeple are now using that. Unless you consider HDD for NAS.

I for one have a 4x HDD NAS to where I back up my data, in addition to a large internal drive.

Posted

HDD for now. I don't trust the cloud services as a reliable backup solution, and DVDs and Blurays don't offer the space I need for my backups.

4 people like this

Posted

I have 3 HDD's in my pc, and 3 or 4 'spare ones' that I've kept from older machines, I put labels on them so I know what's what, so all my back up's are on those, if I need something I just reconnect the HDD in question :)

Not to mention my flash, and usb drives

Posted

At the moment, the only thing I consider important enough to backup are my photos, which are uploaded to Flickr. I know that doesn't count as a true back up, but at least I have my photos on my PC and in one other place.

I might get a few disk outs and do some documents now and again, but I don't really have much to backup.

Posted

HDD's. Not a fan of cloud services, and optical media is just too slow and cumbersome to work with. Have a system set up (with redundancy) to take care of backing up the various other systems here.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have a 3TB external hard drive where I keep all of my backups.

Posted

hard drive, of course. Cloud will never be used by myself aside from the kindle stuff amazon stores on it, and I will not buy devices without built in external storage because I will not promote having to use the cloud, when flash memory is so cheap and only getting cheaper.

Posted

Time Machine to unRAID NAS

Posted

I backup to my home server, and also a usb drive i connect every so often so i have a backup thats not connected to my network.

Ive also backed up some important photos and other stuff to Dropbox so if something ever happened to my house at least i have the important stuff off site.

Posted

I wouldn't even use the term backup anymore, it should be "copy" because there should be at least 2 others from your main copy.

Main data is on a local server RAID5, that data is stored in dropbox (paid account) which is synced to local desktop and off-site desktop in a secure office/building. Images of server are also done every Saturday and once a month image is copied to dropbox, every 2-3 months images for both local machines are made and copied to on-site USB external.

Posted

I just have a backup of my boot drive on an external HDD. Important work stuff is also backed up on another drive/cloud and pen drive.

I just use TrueImage to backup my entire boot drive. Then store the image on an external drive.

Posted

NAS/Home server

Posted

NAS/Home Server, and also some Cloud services for redundancy.

Posted

External Hard Drive. I do not trust cloud services.

Posted

Macbook - Time Machine - HDD

Ultrabook - Google Drive

Main Box - Drobo and Google Drive

Servers RAID5 - FreeNAS

Posted

Two external HD's. Photos and documents to SkyDrive. Full backup to Backblaze.

Posted

I use both an external hard drive and DVD-RAM for backups. I would never trust some online service (and I still refuse to call the internet a cloud :p )

1 person likes this

Posted

1TB HDD with Data only on it and an external for back up backup. :)

Posted

Two home servers (located in separate cities), backing up x2 desktop PC's, x4 laptops, x1 tablet, a couple of complete daily remote website backups, a hand full of IMAP servers, and a couple of dozen MySQL databases onto both internal and externally connected HDDs to both home servers. Each home server then also daily syncs critically important files between the two for added redundancy! :)

Posted

Secondary Harddrive in my Server

Posted

Used to use HDD but now use skydrive

Posted

I use a WHS, + external HDD's and the cloud.

Posted

Got my important files all on SkyDrive. Was using CrashPlan but saw no point in having 2 cloud back ups

Posted

Everything but photos is on Dropbox, I trust them to have their backup sorted :p

My photos (around 300GB nowadays, yay for RAW) are on a 500GB HDD that is mirrored weekly onto an identical drive. Every few months I mirror it to another identical 500GB drive that is then stored at my grandparents' place.