• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#16 yowanvista

yowanvista

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: i9001-CM11-KitKat 4.4.2 - Kernel 3.4.83

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:16

!. it has DirectX 11.1 support your games will take advantage of the extra features only in Windows 8

No current games will even make use of DX11.1, most recently released games support DX9/10/11 only, there isn't even any major features added in DX11.1 besides the integrated 3D garbage. Makes no point to upgrade to Windows 8 just for the gimmick DX11.1

#17 notuptome2004

notuptome2004

Neowinian Senior

Posted 28 November 2012 - 19:18

graphics drivers will likely be buggy for 6-12 months on windows 8 so i'd use win7.

Wrong as windows 7 and windows 8 drivers are the same except the fact windows 8 version drivers use WDDM 1.2 driver model .

#18 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 28 November 2012 - 21:57

Won't matter unless your GPU supports 11.1.
edit: Looks like the Radeon HD 7850 supports 11.1. Newegg has it labeled wrong.

I think most DX11 cards are 11.1 compatible, but they're still marked as 11 cards. I'd have to verify that though.

but the network tweaks they made seem to be bugging the crap out of some people. I know I've had some issues with that part too.

Which, on that note, just made me start using cFosSpeed again on my new broadband conn. (And yes, I'm talking to myself.)

#19 *RedBull*

*RedBull*

skippy de do da

• Phone: Android

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:01

I would go with Windows 8 on SSD (Y)

#20 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 28 November 2012 - 22:01

Personally I'd stick with 7, as there are a lot more optimizations driver wise. I personally am avoiding 8 like the plague, but from a logic standpoint of (tried, tested, true) I'd go with 7. There has been a lot more time to work out the problems, and chances are the games were developed on/for 7.

#21 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:29

I'd stick with 7 myself. It's stable and proven.

#22 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:35

90% of benchmarks show no change.

Load times for games on the other hand definitely seem better in 8, but I don't think I've seen benches on that.

I know that's what the benchmarks say, but all my games run better in Windows 8 including Telltale's Walking Dead at 1080p. Same hardware. Need for speed is ridiculous.

While overall speed is slightly better in 8, all hiccups, occasional stutters here and there appear to be gone. I'd say go for 8, unless you just hate it. Can't go wrong with 7 either.

Personally I'd stick with 7, as there are a lot more optimizations driver wise. I personally am avoiding 8 like the plague, but from a logic standpoint of (tried, tested, true) I'd go with 7. There has been a lot more time to work out the problems, and chances are the games were developed on/for 7.

Without a doubt there are some driver issues, but for me those have been few and in the OS and Flash. Games have been flawless.

#23 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Starry

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:52

I've had some games load up black screen but work fine in a window, so I'd agree with driver issues, but they're pretty minor overall.

#24 Raa

Raa

Resident something-or-rather

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:02

Just go with Windows 7. IF you want, you can upgrade to Windows 8 later.

Although for gaming, I can't see any major advantages - yet.

#25 DavidM

DavidM

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:49

I haven't noticed any disadvantage or advantage to Windows 8, it seems pretty much the same to be, but I'm using an nVidia card, so you may have a different experience. Don't forget W8 is built on Windows 7 and I really doubt they made that many changes to the "gaming stuff".

nVidia has the same drivers for Win8 as they do Win7, so it can't be too much different or interact with the driver that much differently.

#26 PGHammer

PGHammer

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:27

The bechmarks suggest that are about the same.. I had Windows 8 on my gaming box for 1 day.. and reloaded Windows 7 back Thats just me though.. I think Steam being intergrated with the start screen would be pretty cool.. but I just like Windows 7 better..

Going down to the SSD route would be great.. Windows 8 starts up very fast with those.. One thing I did like about WIndows 8.

It's all about personal preference.

I went from 7 x64 (Ultimate) to 8 x64 (Pro with Media Center) - along with every game that I ran on 7, new titles I've added since, and even old titles that could never run right on 7 x64.

No SSD. No touch screen. What did I lose going from 7 to 8?

Waiting.

I have found 8 both more stable (less crash-prone) and more compatible (and with more games) than even 7 - which was the king of compatibility to that point.

Steam games? Not a single solitary issue or quibble. As far as the lack of Start Screen shortcuts, please; if a Steam game creates a desktop shortcut, it ALSO creates a shortcut on the Start Screen.

What I have seen (so far) is that the majority of Windows 7 fans love the Start menu and also have many nested submenus - which is something I have despised about ALL versions of Windows that supported submenus. (It gets so bad it looks like a "bracketology" seminar - if I wanted such a thing, I'd go into fantasy sports management, or run a sports book.)

I have not a single issue gaming on Windows 8 x64 today.

#27 count0nz

count0nz

A Geek4Hire

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:46

Same windows 8 x64 treating me very well.. even Flight Simulator 2004 runs Fine under 8.

#28 still1

still1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:49

windows 7 is much better

#29 droolingmonkey

droolingmonkey

Neowinian

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:51

Another vote for 8 here. Since upgrading (clean install), I have been able to play all the old games I used to, without any issues. nVidia card here. Dont go backwards bro, seriously. There's nothing in 7 that isnt just better in 8, aside from the easily avoidable start screen, if you simply cant get used to it...

#30 trag3dy

trag3dy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:30

Won't matter unless your GPU supports 11.1.
edit: Looks like the Radeon HD 7850 supports 11.1. Newegg has it labeled wrong.

Which won't matter if the game isn't using dx 11.1 either. How many games even use dx 11 these days? Not enough that I'd think that should even be a deciding factor in what you use.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!