Windows 7 64-Bit or Windows 8 64-Bit For Gaming

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 18 December 2012 - 00:55

I think Windows 7 is better for gaming. All the games seem to be more more optimized for it, while alot of developers are completely either bypassing it or refusing to release games for it.
I know that alot of indie game developers for example have flat out refused to make any games for Windows 8 because in their words "Its complete crap".

I would wait until Windows 9, or at the very least, Windows 8.1 or something. Let Microsoft fix the mess that is the current version and developers may release some games for it that are actually optimised to take advantage of the Windows 8 backend.

#62 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 18 December 2012 - 12:34

I think Windows 7 is better for gaming. All the games seem to be more more optimized for it

All of them? They're pretty much the same in either OS.

#63 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:43

Yes, I don't remember seeing any games with a 'made for Windows 8' sticker on them yet.
Correct me if im wrong thou.

#64 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:02

Yes, I don't remember seeing any games with a 'made for Windows 8' sticker on them yet.
Correct me if im wrong thou.

They don't have to have one. It's compatible with pretty much everything 7 is (though not entirely yet, which might be a driver thing.)

#65 Evolution

Evolution

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:32

Benchmark wise Windows 8 should be superior, although it's not really noticeable in games. All of my steam games work on Windows 8. Developers will eventually move to it either way.

#66 Denis W.

Denis W.

The True North!

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • Phone: iPhone 4S

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:50

Comes down to user preference really. Though I must add that in Windows 8 the DWM is never disabled so I'm not sure how older games that require DWM disabled will behave.

Can't say I noticed anything out of the ordinary going from Windows 7 to 8. Nothing compared to going from XP to Vista back in the day - clearly back then due to the driver model change there was a noticeable difference.

... while alot of developers are completely either bypassing it or refusing to release games for it.
I know that alot of indie game developers for example have flat out refused to make any games for Windows 8 because in their words "Its complete crap".

That really translates to them refusing to write WinRT games. Which is fine. Unless of course they meant putting in some version check to prevent their games running on Windows 8 for strange political reasons - and even then it's easy to bypass that check with compatibility settings.

#67 TsarNikky

TsarNikky

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:56

Wasn't a main purpose for Windows-8 the ability to play games on touch-centric tablet?

#68 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:01

Wasn't a main purpose for Windows-8 the ability to play games on touch-centric tablet?

No?
It does everything Windows 7 did better, unless by chance you can't get over some minor UI changes.

#69 +Neotech085

Neotech085

Neowinian

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:01

either one for gaming is about the same.

#70 +dsbig

dsbig

Neowinian

Posted 19 December 2012 - 15:41

I was just playing diablo 1 and 2 on my windows 8

fallout games play fine for me too

also windows 8 doesnt have the color problem like windows 7 did with old games

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!