New iMac worth it?

I think that the iMacs are great but wasn't overly impressed with the refresh. I wouldn't be surprised if they bump up the resolution of the 27" next year. It has sported the same resolution for years now....

It has sported the same resolution for years now....

Yes, so?

I doubt it, unless he ok'd some decision to just poke some holes in the back for those ports instead of routing them somewhere useful.

Why would I want to see my external speaker set's cable sticking out of the front, side or bottom all the time? I have no idea.

Read the sentence before that. That's what I call: supporting evidence...along with Retina-everything...

You feel a 5120 x 2880 pixel screen is realistic, both price-wise and when it boils down to performance? I can only begin to image what would happen when hooking up a secondary screen. Unless of course Apple only does a x1,5 reducing the workspace to that of a current 21,5-inch iMac.

I'll definitely wait a rev or two before jumping on board that train. :p

You should know that Windows will not install to and use the Fusion (ram part) disk... it will only run from the physical platter drive (I am pretty sure I saw that on ARS or Toms)...

Why would I want to see my external speaker set's cable sticking out of the front, side or bottom all the time? I have no idea.

Do the new iMacs not have internal speakers? Do you have a good reason for putting an SD reader on the back?

It is a gorgeous piece of hardware tho'... I would love the 27" unit. Can't even fit it in my workspace tho'. :( :(

Hmmmm.... maybe I should take over one of my kids' rooms ... mwah hah hah hahhhhhh.

You should know that Windows will not install to and use the Fusion (ram part) disk... it will only run from the physical platter drive (I am pretty sure I saw that on ARS or Toms)...

This is really the only thing i've notice that'll suck. I currently have Win8 on my ssd along with ML, but I may just buy a thunderbolt ssd drive for windows, then keep the internal drive for osx.

Also reading the speakers are worse than previous years. Kinda sucks cause I was looking to get rid of my speakers I use on my pro :(

It is a gorgeous piece of hardware tho'... I would love the 27" unit. Can't even fit it in my workspace tho'. :( :(

Hmmmm.... maybe I should take over one of my kids' rooms ... mwah hah hah hahhhhhh.

You and me both.

This is really the only thing i've notice that'll suck. I currently have Win8 on my ssd along with ML, but I may just buy a thunderbolt ssd drive for windows, then keep the internal drive for osx.

Also reading the speakers are worse than previous years. Kinda sucks cause I was looking to get rid of my speakers I use on my pro :(

I don't believe you can run bootcamp from an external drive.

But:

Can I add a Windows partition?

You can create one additional partition on the hard disk with Fusion Drive. You can create either a Mac OS X partition or a Windows partition. If creating a Windows partition, use Boot Camp Assistant to create it, not Disk Utility. From the Go menu, choose Utilities. Then, double-click Boot Camp Assistant and follow the onscreen instructions. For more information on Boot Camp see the Boot Camp support page.

Note: Boot Camp Assistant is not supported at this time on 3TB hard drive configurations.

You feel a 5120 x 2880 pixel screen is realistic, both price-wise and when it boils down to performance? I can only begin to image what would happen when hooking up a secondary screen. Unless of course Apple only does a x1,5 reducing the workspace to that of a current 21,5-inch iMac.

I'll definitely wait a rev or two before jumping on board that train. :p

Maybe not by that much, but a modest bump in resolution (I think) is over due on their 27" monitors. I like the resolution (I have one). To me, I think overall the latest iMac revision when compared to the previous one amount to:

* Thinner on the sides

* More difficult to work on yourself (although the last one wasn't really something you worked on anyway...)

* No more optical drive

* Slight bump in performance specs-wise

I was expecting at least a resolution bump given Apple's trend on that. So I will hold my breath and wait for next year on that one ;).

Edit: I have the 27" cinema display for my MBP, I don't have a 27" iMac.

Do the new iMacs not have internal speakers? Do you have a good reason for putting an SD reader on the back?

Are you under the impression build-in speakers produce the same sound quality and volume levels as higher-end external speakers? You expect a card reader to fit in 5 mm thin edges?

I am well informed about Macs and can tell you that it definitely isn't worth it.

I feel exactly the same about investing any serious amount of money in a Windows 8 PC. Funny how people can have different preferences.

Maybe not by that much, but a modest bump in resolution (I think) is over due on their 27" monitors. I like the resolution (I have one).

Since you target Apple so specifically, what other 27-inch screens have a resolution different from 2560 x 1440 (depending on ratio of course)? Ignoring those ?3000+ screens with a 4K resolution. I honestly don't understand what you expect to gain by a "modest bump" in resolution. You'll end up with unbearable small interface elements since the 27-inch iMac, and similar screens, already offer the workspace formerly reserved to 30-inch monitors. To counter that OS X will have to increase its interface elements, which ultimately means you still end up with the exact same amount of workspace with marginally sharper images. It sounds as if you want a resolution bump for the sake of having a resolution bump, correct me if I'm wrong though!

To me, I think overall the latest iMac revision when compared to the previous one amount to:* Thinner on the sides

* More difficult to work on yourself (although the last one wasn't really something you worked on anyway...)

* No more optical drive

* Slight bump in performance specs-wise

I was expecting at least a resolution bump given Apple's trend on that. So I will hold my breath and wait for next year on that one ;).

I don't see what's wrong with that. Apple simply improved an already solid product. Like I stated above I have no idea what good a small resolution increase will do. Right now a 2x increase (Retina) isn't realistic due to performance and price. But yeah, who knows! Things could be different late next year. :)

I think CNET summarized it nicely:

all I can say is the software experience hasn't really changed since 2008.... if your hardware is faster then yes, things will be quicker - but it is purely an economic decision. if you require things to be a few seconds faster then throw down your money! I couldn't be happier with win7 & ubuntu myself, I cant see the benefit in the mac tax.

FFS. This isn't a debate on whether he should change from a Mac to a Windows or Linux PC. It's a simple question around the Mac Pro and the new iMac. The original post is quite specific.

Jesus H.

Yea the cost is something i dont like. In New Zealand the upgrades push the price up to 4000NZD and i cant spend that much, but for around 2500NZD, i can build me a really great PC/Hackintosh.

FFS. This isn't a debate on whether he should change from a Mac to a Windows or Linux PC. It's a simple question around the Mac Pro and the new iMac. The original post is quite specific.

Jesus H.

It seems that people either don't read beyond the topic title or avoid the real question at hand intentionally. Post #39 demonstrates this brilliantly.

Asking a question like this on Neowin is like asking a Fox News focus group if you should vote for Obama.

Mac forum tho... so we should be doing forum bans/warnings when people come here for useless posts/trolling. Needs to stop, or why bother posting here?

• Like 2

The new iMac is fine, unless you are forced for space / price reasons to get 21.5", which is worse than 2011 version.

• Slower HDD
  • Soldered RAM at Apple's Prices
  • Most other specs too similar to before

Going to be getting myself a 27" base model. 8Gb memory should be more than enough for my needs, only thing I would like would be more video memory for the video card. 512 is a bit on the low side considering the high resolution of the screen. Besides that it will be a great upgrade from my older 27" 2009 model

Yep, went ahead and pulled the trigger, same specs. Now the fun part at selling my old machine!

So why bother creating a thread to ask for advice when you just went ahead and bought it anyway less than a day later?

:s