Photo

Why do most major new versions redesign their UI?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:20

Have you ever noticed how every new major version of a piece of software always has to have a new redesigned UI (Excluding Chrome and Firefox). For example It seems like every new update to Norton / Norton Internet security always has a new redesigned UI. What was wrong with the old UI? Although hit looks like Norton did damn good up until version 2008 then they started to change / redesign the UI every new version. Or is it software venders way of justifying the new upgrade?

Norton 2000

Posted Image

Norton 2001

Posted Image

Norton 2002

Posted Image

Norton 2003

Posted Image

Norton 2004

Posted Image

Norton 2005

Posted Image

Norton 2006

Posted Image

Norton 2007

Posted Image

Norton 2008

Posted Image

Norton 2009

Posted Image

Norton 2010

Posted Image

Norton 2011

Posted Image

Norton 2012

Posted Image

Norton 2013

Posted Image

#2 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:22

To make it look new.

Why waste time on implementing new features when you can just redesign it :p

#3 typu

typu

Neowinian

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:24

if you lack content just make it look new...

#4 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:28

It's often to help customers differentiate between versions. A lot of what you're looking at for Norton is just simple graphics changes.

They just change the art assets and call it done. Note...I'm referring to the aesthetics, not the under the hood changes.

#5 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:29

Ugh, Norton.

#6 Jason S.

Jason S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:30

new version, new UI ::shrug::

keeps people thinking that there's something better about it. if you have an appealing UI then people think they need it.

#7 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:33

It's often to help customers differentiate between versions. A lot of what you're looking at for Norton is just simple graphics changes.

They just change the art assets and call it done. Note...I'm referring to the aesthetics, not the under the hood changes.

Speaking of which, that's another thing. Norton on their boxes call it Norton 2012, Norton 2013 but when you open the program up and go under "about" to see which version they are using there is never any mention of 2013 or 2010 just version numbers like version 18.0 or 19.0. Sure you could look at the copyright date to get close, but still .. it annoys me!

#8 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Pro | Xubuntu | OSX Yosemite| Server 2012 R2 | Ubuntu Server
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:35

Looks like 2012 was a very bad year.

#9 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:36

Speaking of which, that's another thing. Norton on their boxes call it Norton 2012, Norton 2013 but when you open the program up and go under "about" to see which version they are using there is never any mention of 2013 or 2010 just version numbers like version 18.0 or 19.0. Sure you could look at the copyright date to get close, but still .. it annoys me!

That's not really any different from Windows 8 really being NT 6.2 or Windows Phone 7.5 actually being version 7.1.x, or Office 2013 being version 15.

Branded names and actual version numbers often aren't in alignment with each other. :)

#10 OP +warwagon

warwagon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:38

That's not really any different from Windows 8 really being NT 6.2 or Windows Phone 7.5 actually being version 7.1.x, or Office 2013 being version 15.

Branded names and actual version numbers often aren't in alignment with each other. :)

In windows you just go into the system proprieties and it will tell you which version. It will say "Windows 8 or Windows 7. It won't just say NT 6.1 or NT 6.2

#11 Nothing Here

Nothing Here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:38

Have you ever noticed how every new major version of a piece of software always has to have a new redesigned UI (Excluding Chrome and Firefox). For example It seems like every new update to Norton / Norton Internet security always has a new redesigned UI. What was wrong with the old UI? Or is it software venders way of justifying the new upgrade?

~snipped~

You forgot a few. One being this:

Attached Images

• nav_options.jpg

#12 Shane Nokes

Shane Nokes

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:42

In windows you just go into the system proprieties and it will tell you which version. It will say "Windows 8 or Windows 7. It won't just say NT 6.1 or NT 6.2

Ah I see what you're saying there. In that case doesn't the entry on the start menu/start screen normally list the Branded name with the year on it?

#13 Guth

Guth

Alba Gu Bráth

• Phone: Nokia Lumia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 20:47

They do that to sell them.
Everyone wants the new sexy, good looking product.
Look at iPhones! Ooooh, its "new" (ie. shiny) must have it. Its the same with software.
Also, to move with the times, like the new version made to look metro-like.

#14 DudeBro

DudeBro

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Posted 30 November 2012 - 21:02

Well if UI's didn't change then web browsers would still look like netscape navigator and websites would still look like geocities. Interfaces sometimes do improve each version and at least I notice they try to blend better with the latest OS version. I notice newer apps UI's are trying to look modernui/metro so it looks nice on windows 8. Webdesign also seem to influence things. When web2.0 came around, gradients and rounded corners seemed to be a thing for awhile.

#15 The Dingus Diddler

The Dingus Diddler

Sir Derpy McHerperton III

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1020

Posted 30 November 2012 - 21:10

I get bored looking at the same UI all the time, as long as it's functional and doesn't detract from the product then I really look forward to new UI's.