35 replies to this topic

#1 Muhammad Farrukh

Muhammad Farrukh

The End is Nigh

• 7,621 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:25

Dragon Age III influenced by Skyrim

BioWare's Aaryn Flynn says it would be impossible to develop an RPG today

without acknowledging and reacting to Bethesda's game.

Few concrete details are known concerning BioWare's upcoming Dragon Age III: Inquisition, but the developer has now gone on record saying it has been influenced by The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Speaking to Game Informer (via Kotaku), BioWare Edmonton and Montreal general manager Aaryn Flynn said it would be impossible to create a role-playing game today without acknowledging and reacting to Bethesda's award-winning game.

"You can't look at a game like Skyrim and not think about how impressive what they've accomplished is or [think] that's an interesting new direction or that there was something that didn't work well for them that we could take in a new direction," Flynn said. "So, we're always influenced by these games,
especially in a relatively tight-knit genre like RPGs."

Dragon Age III: Inquisition is the third entry in BioWare's role-playing game series. It follows 2009's Dragon Age: Origins and 2011's Dragon Age II. In all, the series has sold more than 8 million units.

Last month, BioWare released concept art for Dragon Age III: Inquisition, followed by the first, albeit blurry, screenshot.

Most recently, an EA Shanghai employee's LinkedIn resume suggested Dragon Age III: Inquisition is targeting a release for next-generation platforms in 2014.

#2 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:37

Thats not a bad thing as long as they do it right. The open environment is what made Skyrim so fun so if they do anything like that, it could certainly make for a fun world.

#3 hooko22

hooko22

Neowinian

• 155 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 17:56

Hmm don't know what to feel about this. Always enjoyed the Dragon Age games much more then Skyrim.

#4 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:45

I'm playing DA:O now and I think it would be FAR better if you could roam around freely. I can't stand the way you "travel" in the game.

#5 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

• 5,228 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:51

Hmm don't know what to feel about this. Always enjoyed the Dragon Age games much more then Skyrim.

Same here, but I do like some stuff about Skyrim.

The environment and exploration is fantastic.

The characters and story...meh, let them all die for all I care (not that I play that way of course, but none of them are particularly interesting.)

The overabundance of crappy items to pick up in the world could certainly go and I wouldn't feel terribly bad about it.

#6 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:57

I really hope it is, I really enjoyed Dragon Age 2 but it was a really linear game with really only 1 or 2 big areas, all the dungeons were copy pasta and there was lots of backtracking round the same areas.

This needs to be open world, or at least have some semblance of being non-linear.

#7 theyarecomingforyou

theyarecomingforyou

Tiger Trainer

• 16,303 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note 3 with Galaxy Gear

Posted 05 December 2012 - 18:59

Games? Dragon Age: Origins was great - one of my favourites - but Dragon Age II was terrible and is in no way comparable to a great game like Skyrim.

After the mess that was DAII there's no way I'm going to pickup DAIII at launch and I'll skip it altogether if they continue to boycott Steam, just as I had to do / will do with Mass Effect 3, SimCity, Battlefield 3, Dead Space 3 and unfortunately Crysis 3 (though the other Crysis games were released on Steam so Crysis 3 might be okay). I have no problem with EA pushing the Origin platform - much like I buy games on Steam that use UPlay and GFWL - but I like to buy my games on Steam to keep them altogether. I'll continue to boycott EA games as long as they continue to boycott Steam.

#8 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:02

They aren't "boycotting" steam, why should they be at Valves whim on how they want to patch their games etc.. With their own platform they can do whatever they want and it wont cost them a penny.

#9 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:07

Baldur's Gate should influence DA not Skyrim.

I think i'll pass.

They aren't "boycotting" steam, why should they be at Valves whim on how they want to patch their games etc.. With their own platform they can do whatever they want and it wont cost them a penny.

The problem is their platform *****.

I bought TOR from Origin and let's say i was really really surprised at how bad it is. The game was not even showing in my games list. It was not automatically updated from origin. I could not have info about the game (how many hours i played etc) from Origin client.

#10 TheLegendOfMart

TheLegendOfMart

Neowinian Senior

• 9,281 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:14

I seem to remember Steam being complete ***** in the beginning and now people think Valve is the second coming. Give it chance to grow, but I forgot its cool to hate EA....

#11 Hardcore Til I Die

Hardcore Til I Die

Neowinian Senior

• 3,302 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:23

Baldur's Gate should influence DA not Skyrim.

I think i'll pass.

The problem is their platform *****.

I bought TOR from Origin and let's say i was really really surprised at how bad it is. The game was not even showing in my games list. It was not automatically updated from origin. I could not have info about the game (how many hours i played etc) from Origin client.

Baldurs gate was amazing. Played that so many times.

#12 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

• 8,896 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:29

I seem to remember Steam being complete ***** in the beginning and now people think Valve is the second coming. Give it chance to grow, but I forgot its cool to hate EA....

People have short memories. Steam, at launch, was THE WORST EVER TO HAPPEN TO PC GAMING!111 :rolleyes:

#13 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

• 5,689 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:40

I think I've already said in another thread some time ago that I'm not so sure about this. Skyrim is an ARPG, a different type of game. Overhyped, I might add. It didn't have any competition, too. And mods pull half of the weight (if not more) of its popularity.
CRPG and open world kind of doesn't go together. It's prone to creating very unbalanced gameplay, losing most of the tactical aspect. Can remedy "pulling" (but I doubt it will), but will possibly introduce MMORPGy grinding and "twenty bear asses quests". Also, one has to fill the world somehow. DAO didn't have to, it was linear tac-crawler, but DA2 managed to totally suck at that - Sundermount was as interesting as climbing Mount Chilliad in GTA IV. And Skyrim for the most part is quite like that, too - empty. One could very well not have any story at all and player could wander around anyway.

#14 +Audien

Audien

Software Eng.

• 4,392 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5S

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:53

DA1 was a really good game that kept me in for 40 hours. DA2 was a complete disappointment. I enjoyed Skyrim a lot, too, so that's probably a good thing.

#15 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,766 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 19:54

People have short memories. Steam, at launch, was THE WORST EVER TO HAPPEN TO PC GAMING!111 :rolleyes:

Talk for you i always found Steam to be okay. Of course it's far better now than it was at first but i don't recall it being nothing like Origin was when i tried it last year.